C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How much less is a disassembled car worth?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 06:45 PM
virtue4u
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Default How much less is a disassembled car worth?

I may go look at a C2 coupe this weekend that is for sale. A widow's deceased husband died after he had disassembled the vehicle in the garage. I can estimate the value of the car and the parts needed, but what reduction should I place on the value of the car for being disassembled? Assume that the engine is together and on a stand.
Old 08-07-2003, 08:38 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How much less is a disassembled car worth? (virtue4u)

I think you would have to determine: How much of the work you are going to do yourself ? And how much you would have to farm out ? Then the cost of parts, materials, etc...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:38 PM
67 Fuelie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: How much less is a disassembled car worth? (Grey Ghost)

Dang....I miss all the good ones :banghead:
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 PM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure I'd automatically assume it's worth less disassembled. I'd be more concerned about the condition of the parts, and that all the parts are there. If you intended to buy a project car (in the same general condition of this one) and completely restore it, then you would have had to disassemble it anyway and so this car may actually be worth more (to you) than if it were in one piece, since it saves you doing that work... especially if any restoration work has already been done, or if new parts are included with the project.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:21 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The first vintage Vette I bought was a 58 that literally came in boxes. Unless the parts are very well organized and you are very familiar with that model car, BEWARE. It is very difficult to tell what's there and what's not. If the car is bargain priced and appears to be mostly present and the parts in useable condition, then have at it. If you think it's iffy, back off and take a closer look.

Been there, done that, never again. But, you may be younger and more ambitious than I am too. :D

[Modified by 62fuelie, 4:22 AM 8/8/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 12:19 AM
Larry P
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I did this with a 60. I have never done a Corvette before. It's a challenge putting something together that you didn't take apart. If he took a complete car apart you should be ok. The only thing missing on mine was parts he discarded on purpose. Get a catalogue and make a list of the expensive parts
and do an inventory. If you do most work your self and nothing has been done yet, add 25K to the purchase price and decide if you want to drive one you built or buy one that is done.
How much is you time worth? When asked "Did you build it?
I want to be able to say yes!
Larry :cheers: :auto:
Old 08-11-2003, 10:22 PM
mid-year crisis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Larry P and 62fuelie :iagree: my '65 roadster came "much assembly required". While I am proud as hell to be able to say I "built" the car, I am also several thousand dollars lighter in the wallet for the experience :lol: In retrospect, I would get a second experienced set of eyes to look it over and help estimate the job with you, if you don't have the experience to do it yourself. These cars can and will nickel and dime ya to death if you're not careful. Best of luck :cheers:
Old 08-11-2003, 10:40 PM
ghostrider20
Le Mans Master

Received 235 Likes on 173 Posts

Default Re: How much less is a disassembled car worth? (mid-year crisis)

Make no mistake you not even break even on the deal if unless you get the car at a bargain base price.

Unless this is your hobby, restoration I mean then go for it. Everyone pays for their pleasures.

But if it is a car you want, and the restoration is only a means to an end, buy a car that is already done. And begin to enjoy it. If you had to borrow 10K from a bank to augment savings, the loss in interest would still be far less then the far over budget restoration project.

Mark

Old 08-12-2003, 08:51 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

:eek: Quote 'A widows deceased husband died..." Endquote. :D :lolg: Sorry bro, that has got to be the silliest piece of a sentence I've ever read. Just a minute I gotta get the coffee off my keyboard. :lol:
OK, sorry. I'm better now. Hope you get a good deal and put this vehicle back together....and have a great time doing it. :thumbs:
Old 08-12-2003, 10:41 AM
Mikey1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: How much less is a disassembled car worth? (MasterDave)

What was the reason for the death of that guy ?

Parts prices ??? :jester

Get notified of new replies

To How much less is a disassembled car worth?

Quick Reply: How much less is a disassembled car worth?