C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

cragar wheel install

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 02:22 PM
ro.co3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cragar wheel install

Just bought cragar ss series 61 wheels for my 65. The cragars are 15x6 and so were the turbines I had on there and the tires I have which are 215-70r-15
worked great with the turbines but the cragars are going to need a 3/8" spacer. NOw I wouldent be concerned except that its going to push my tires in the rear out beyond the wheel well . Iam wondering if this is normal or have some of you found a better way . The tire dealer also wants me to go to 205-75-r15 for more clearance. I dont get why the cragars should need so much tweeking. Anyway any help would be appreciated.Roland.
Old 08-28-2003, 03:00 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: cragar wheel install (ro.co3)

my 72 had cragars on it when i bought it. They were the SST and it had 3/8 spacers. And Uni-lugs. and 1 had .060" runout so i sold them as they caused vibration :rolleyes:
i have vintage cragars on my 61 and they are good.(no spacer, spin true, 4.75 bolt pattern)
Old 08-28-2003, 08:50 PM
Nythawk
3rd Gear

Roland,

I have a set of Gragar SS wheels with BF Goodrich TA radials (215/70R15) on my '66, finally. Took me a while to figure out how to do it. I had to use 7/16" spacers to clear the disc brake rotors on the fronts and rears. There was no rubbing on the fronts but the rears did rub. To get rid of the rubbing on the rears it finally dawned on me to check the chamber of each wheel. According to the specs for the chamber for the rear wheels of a '66, it calls for a 0.5 degree negative chamber (top of tire towards the car, bottom towards the outside of the car). The specs also called for a +/- 0.5 degree of tolerance. In other words you could set the wheel with no chamber (0 degrees) to a 1 degree of negative chamber. To get what I considered a reasonable amount of clearance between the tire and the fender lip, I set both back wheels at a 1 degree of negative chamber. Looking from the back of the car the rear wheels do bow out a little more than I would like but at least they don't rub (even going over pretty big bumps). Hope this helps a little.

Terry Hawk
Old 08-28-2003, 09:42 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a set of the uni-lug Cragar SS wheels on my 67. I too had to use the thick spacer and I have 205x75x15 on 6" rim width. I had the car packed for Carlisle and didnt rub once all the way down from Mass. :party:
Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 AM
ro.co3
Instructor

Thanks for the replys guys. It sounds like every body else has to do the same thing so I feel a little better. But Iam still wondering if your tires stuck out beyond the fender well. Roland. [IMG][/IMG] :confused:
Old 08-29-2003, 09:04 AM
JimSR
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have S/S Cragars on my 63 I have a spacer only in the rear ran car down to Carlisle no problem. They sure look GREAT

Good Luck
JIM
Old 08-30-2003, 12:00 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have Crager SS on my 66 with 7/16" spacers,.tires are 205X65 R15" they do not rub...............tires do not stick out, :steering: :seeya :flag

Get notified of new replies

To cragar wheel install

Quick Reply: cragar wheel install