C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need measurement underneath the hood of a Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Need measurement underneath the hood of a Grand Sport

Hello:

I have been speaking with Hilborn Injection for the engine in my Grand Sport. I asked them whether or not one of his systems would fit under the hood of the car.

He ask:
======================
Although I am familiar with the Grand Sport hood I really am not sure if it will fit or not. The best thing to do is to take a quick measurement. Off the top of the block to the top of our injector castings it is @ 9.5 inches. The ram tubes can be as short as 1.5 inches for a total of 11 inches. The clearance to the hood can be minimal in a street application. What do you think?
======================

Does anyone have an idea what kind of space the hoods have underneath them? I will be running a LS3, and I have the Small Block Daytona Hood. (The one with the fines in front and along each side)

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 04-20-2011, 01:09 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Ty When I was trying to figure what would fit under the hood of my new Mongoose I came up with this. Gary had built a GS with a Ram Jet 502. The factory intake fit under the Daytona hood except at the front where the air intake is located. Gary said they modified that part for clearance. The factory EFI unit in the 502 is 11 3/4'' tall at it's highest point. Since I am putting a Ram Jet ZL-1 in my new GS I figured I would have the same clearance. The Hilborn unit for a BB Chevy measures 8'' to the top of the injector casting from top of block. In talking with Hilborn they recommended a 3'' stack which would give me a 3/4'' clearance at the front of engine to hood. you are using a LS3 so what you need to figure is what the difference is between the LS 3 and a BB chevy. The other option is to get the Hilborn unit but not get the stacks until you can get a measurement yourself. Remember the engine does sit at an angle so the tightest dimension is at the front of block.
----------------------- Ken

Last edited by keystonefarm; 04-20-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:51 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Ken:

Does this sound correct?

I received a message from Hilborn regarding the measurements. Here is what he had to say:
==========================
"Hi Ty,

Although I am familiar with the Grand Sport hood I really am not sure if it will fit or not. The best thing to do is to take a quick measurement. Off the top of the block to the top of our injector castings it is @ 9.5 inches. The ram tubes can be as short as 1.5 inches for a total of 11 inches. The clearance to the hood can be minimal in a street application. What do you think?"

============================

There is 1.5 inches different in height between the two numbers. I guessing that the height is different for the BBC vs. the LS3, however I will check that just to make sure.

Do the 3 inch stacks work well for you?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

I was thinking that if there was enough room under the hood, It might be worth having a bend put in them so the hood wasn't so close to where the stack, and it would have the benefit of easier cool air source.

Looking at the Cross ram, they appear to bend from the intake port then run straight to the end of the trumpets, and this would be just the opposite. A straight shot to the intake port, with a bend toward the middle of the trumpets.

I'm going to bounce this off him and see what experience he has if any running something in this manner.

Do you know what the benefit is to having a shorter or longer stack or is it's main purpose just get the air straightened out?

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Ty
Old 04-21-2011, 08:29 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tyoneal
Ken:

Does this sound correct?

I received a message from Hilborn regarding the measurements. Here is what he had to say:
==========================
"Hi Ty,

Although I am familiar with the Grand Sport hood I really am not sure if it will fit or not. The best thing to do is to take a quick measurement. Off the top of the block to the top of our injector castings it is @ 9.5 inches. The ram tubes can be as short as 1.5 inches for a total of 11 inches. The clearance to the hood can be minimal in a street application. What do you think?"

============================

There is 1.5 inches different in height between the two numbers. I guessing that the height is different for the BBC vs. the LS3, however I will check that just to make sure.

You may want to call Gary at Mongoose and ask him if he knows what the clearance between a LS3 and his Daytona hood is. He has built a number of cars like that it would give you a start point. Ask Larry about his he has a LS3 in his Mongoose with the same hood. Not sure if yours will measure the same but at least it's a start .

Do the 3 inch stacks work well for you?

Ty I don't have my Hilborn yet so can't answer anything for sure. I should have the setup in the next 2-3 weeks I hope. The 1'' difference may be a casting difference between the mounting on a LS3 head and a BB head.

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

When I get it I'll post some.

I was thinking that if there was enough room under the hood, It might be worth having a bend put in them so the hood wasn't so close to where the stack, and it would have the benefit of easier cool air source.

Looking at the Cross ram, they appear to bend from the intake port then run straight to the end of the trumpets, and this would be just the opposite. A straight shot to the intake port, with a bend toward the middle of the trumpets.

I'm going to bounce this off him and see what experience he has if any running something in this manner.

Do you know what the benefit is to having a shorter or longer stack or is it's main purpose just get the air straightened out?

It's just a way to funnel the air in a passive fashion into the injector housing. The less turbulance the better. Air is lazy like water .

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Ty
--------------- Ken

Get notified of new replies

To Need measurement underneath the hood of a Grand Sport

Quick Reply: Need measurement underneath the hood of a Grand Sport