C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Daren Schneider
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do?

As a firm believer of If it is not broke dont fix it, I have pulled out my 67 dash cluster and sent out for service. All the current 36 yr old bulbs work and I have lubed the speedo and tach cables (and they look fine). The tach and speedo stopped working 5 years ago, I lubed up cables but it did not help. What are the musts that I should do as I await for the dash cluster to come back. Am I nuts not to replace the speedo and tach cables as everything is open. How do I test the bulbs without the cluster ground. Should I replace the original condensors back behind the cluster?

[Modified by Daren Schneider, 9:18 AM 10/29/2003]
Old 10-29-2003, 11:38 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (Daren Schneider)

as for testing the dangling bulbs, just put the headlight switch back on the harness, pull it out one stop (for park/dash lights) and touch each metal base of the bulb holder (the whole thing is metal) to the nearest exposed frame metal, or run a wire from frame ground and brush it up against each bulb socket.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:27 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (ctjackster)

Don't worry about the radio capacitors; if yours are there, you're miles ahead of most guys. They aren't reproduced, and even used originals cost a fortune. :thumbs:
Old 10-29-2003, 12:53 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (Daren Schneider)

Just replace the bulbs with a new set. Sure they may work now, but they are old. What are you going to do in 6 months when one fails?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:12 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (JohnZ)

Don't worry about the radio capacitors; if yours are there, you're miles ahead of most guys. They aren't reproduced, and even used originals cost a fortune. :thumbs:
I agree with JohnZ on the non-electrolytic capacitors that are used in several places (voltage regulator, flasher, coil, blower motor, etc.) to eliminate generated noise in the radio.

But, if you have your radio out for service, it is a wise idea to replace the internal electrolytic capacitors in the radio. Electrolytic capacitors frequently go bad with age -- even if never used.
Unfortunately, this is not a do-it-yourself project for most people. The disassemby of most midyear radios to change these capacitors is not trivial -- I had to make a drawing of where each wire went so I could make sure it went back together correctly. There is no multiple pin connector on the circuit board that simply plugs in.

As far as testing the bulbs go, I pull the bulbs and test them with a bench power supply. However, you should be able to use a 9 volt battery and a couple of wires to see if they work.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 8:34 AM 10/30/2003]
Old 10-30-2003, 08:30 AM
Vette66AirCoupe
Instructor

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (ctjackster)

I'm anticipating pulling my cluster out for restoration as well. I assume you removed your steering wheel but did you have to do anything else with the steering column? And what about replacing the tach and speedo cables? I've been wondering the same thing. Does anybody have any comments?
Old 10-30-2003, 08:34 AM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

...i wouldn't know for sure, but from what i rad here, if you did not use a special cable lubricant for the tach and speedo, you have probably just made it worse for yourself as the chassis lube you may have used gets hard over time

...now that the guage cluster is out, check the quality of the dash wiring harness - ANY indication of brittle insulation or bare wires is cause enought ot drop $350 for a new wiring harness...also check to see if you have any holes in the firewall that need plugging, check the parking brake light switch, etc, etc
Old 10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Default Re: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do? (Vette66AirCoupe)

I'm anticipating pulling my cluster out for restoration as well. I assume you removed your steering wheel but did you have to do anything else with the steering column? And what about replacing the tach and speedo cables? I've been wondering the same thing. Does anybody have any comments?
I pull the entire steering column.

Even though it would be easier to change the speed and tach cables with the cluster out, it isn't that hard to do it with the cluster in place. I can unscrew the speedo cable from the back of my cluster and drop it down to work on it -- and, I could pull the entire speedo cable housing out and replace it with the cluster in place.

Tom Piper
Old 10-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Daren Schneider
Pro

In pulling my dash cluster out. I dropped the steering column 2 inches. Ran the long bolts to hold the dash and one by one (with 4 inches of clearance) labeled each bulb I took out. I know I could of made it easier, but it took me 2 hours - 1 hour fiquring out how to drop the steering column - 1 hour to remove dash cluster. (I did hit my head about 6 times on the turn signal).
:cheers:
Old 10-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Vette66AirCoupe
Instructor

Default took an hour to figure out how to drop the steering column.....

Perhaps you can save me some "figuring time"? Do you have any tips for expediting the process? :confused:
Old 10-30-2003, 04:29 PM
Daren Schneider
Pro

Default Re: took an hour to figure out how to drop the steering column..... (Vette66AirCoupe)

Perhaps you can save me some "figuring time"? Do you have any tips for expediting the process? :confused:
Remove 4 inverted bolts under steering column. In the engine bay remove 2 bolts around the steering column that attach to the firewall. Loosen 2 bolts that act like hose clamps on the column. No need to loosen any bolts near the rag.

Hang 10. Go for it. I put this off for 5 years. :cheers:

[Modified by Daren Schneider, 3:30 PM 10/30/2003]
Old 10-31-2003, 02:30 AM
JOliver
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: took an hour to figure out how to drop the steering column..... (Daren Schneider)

The two capacitors on the back of the cluster are being reproduced.
and I know where

Jason
VetteInstruments@aol.com
Old 10-31-2003, 09:09 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Re: took an hour to figure out how to drop the steering column..... (JOliver)

well that sounds so very CIA-ish! You can also source any one of these capacitors from LIC - could you get them cheaper somewhere else? Maybe, I haven't compared prices. But LIC seems to have all of this stuff, correct (and if not they say so) in one place.

Get notified of new replies

To pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do?

Quick Reply: pulled C2 cluster, sent out, what else should I do?