C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Speedometer cable and grommet

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 08:12 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speedometer cable and grommet

I recently had an elderly gentlemen (80) here in Tallahasse rebuild my speedometer. He's been doing mechanical speedometers for years (I think he said 45 years) -- doesn't do the digital stuff.
He did an excellent job for $40. I took the '64 past one of the local police department radar trailers that post your speed. I did this several times at different speeds -- he's got my speedometer dead on.

The only problem I've had is with the speedometer cable and housing. First, I tried replacing the internal cable -- didn't do much good, needle bounce. Then, I replaced the entire unit, housing and all. That made a world of difference.

My only problem now is: how do you put the new housing through that firewall grommet? Talk about a tight fit.

Thanks.

Tom Piper

[Modified by Tom Piper, 8:17 PM 11/1/2003]
Old 11-02-2003, 01:54 AM
waynec
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Speedometer cable and grommet (Tom Piper)

Usually the grommet has a split in it (a cut through one wall), generally at an angle rather than directly towards the center of the circle. Remove the grommet, remove the old cable from it (through the split) and pull the cable from the firewall hole; substitute the new cable, then force the grommet back into the firewall hole in a spiral motion, starting with one of the "ends" of the split grommet circle.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:10 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Default Re: Speedometer cable and grommet (waynec)

The original/correct speedo cable grommet had no splits/slits in it at all. The plant used a long pointed cone-shaped aluminum tool with a recess in the big end that accepted the threaded ferrule at the end of the cable; they put the cable end in the back of the cone tool, dipped the cone in liquid soap solution, stuffed the tool and cable through the hole in the grommet, and removed the tool. "Tales from the assembly line...." :thumbs:
Old 11-02-2003, 02:27 PM
Tom Piper
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Speedometer cable and grommet (JohnZ)

The original/correct speedo cable grommet had no splits/slits in it at all. The plant used a long pointed cone-shaped aluminum tool with a recess in the big end that accepted the threaded ferrule at the end of the cable; they put the cable end in the back of the cone tool, dipped the cone in liquid soap solution, stuffed the tool and cable through the hole in the grommet, and removed the tool. "Tales from the assembly line...." :thumbs:
Mine has no splits.

I thought maybe the grommet was put on before the ends were crimped on the cable housing. That clears it up. But, I don't have that tool to do it with.

Thanks

Tom Piper

Get notified of new replies

To Speedometer cable and grommet

Quick Reply: Speedometer cable and grommet