C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] 1966 Coupe headlight motor mounting ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 12:58 PM
Nelag
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts
Default 1966 Coupe headlight motor mounting ?

First time C2 owner and working on headlights. I unplugged the motors and they slid off the round shaft with the flat area on it. No clothes pin keeper. Not hard to install, but the motor just hangs loose on the shaft. The picture shows it dropping. I know there is a collar that goes someplace, but I don't have one or it inside the headlight buckets and can not see it. Does it need to slide on the shaft after the motor ?

Old 02-15-2024, 01:04 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 830 Likes on 574 Posts

Did your car have the brace/bracket that holds the motor in place...it mounts on motor and then to the nose of the car..

https://www.corvettecentral.com/c2-6...dlight%2bmotor

EDIT: You can see the 'hole' in the end of the motor where it attaches
Old 02-15-2024, 02:03 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,032 Likes on 671 Posts

Galen - Do you have the AIM for your Midyear? Here's a pic from the 66 AIM showing that 'bushing' that slides into the thick aluminum bracket. Notice the use of early non-computer graphics to point out the particular bushing on the AIM? :-O.
It helps take up the space between the motor drive shaft and the bracket but still allows easy movement.
You definitely do need that clothes pin retainer and a new bushing. I'm also posting a pic of that bushing, old and crusty but they do clean up well. Not having even an old dirty bushing at hand, you'll be buying new bushings. I believe it's the same plastic 'flanged' bushing used in the clutch pedal pivot assembly.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Old 02-15-2024, 02:15 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

The motor end bracket should have a plastic bushing in the hole that the bucket's pivot shaft rides in:

https://www.zip-corvette.com/63-67-h...ushings-2.html

See the cream-colored item that's visible in this photo:

And here's an installed motor:

Live well,

SJW

Last edited by SJW; 02-15-2024 at 02:17 PM. Reason: I see that Mike captured this info in post #3 while I was typing.
Old 02-15-2024, 07:29 PM
Nelag
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet65te
Galen - Do you have the AIM for your Midyear? Here's a pic from the 66 AIM showing that 'bushing' that slides into the thick aluminum bracket. Notice the use of early non-computer graphics to point out the particular bushing on the AIM? :-O.
It helps take up the space between the motor drive shaft and the bracket but still allows easy movement.
You definitely do need that clothes pin retainer and a new bushing. I'm also posting a pic of that bushing, old and crusty but they do clean up well. Not having even an old dirty bushing at hand, you'll be buying new bushings. I believe it's the same plastic 'flanged' bushing used in the clutch pedal pivot assembly.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Let see If I have this right.
Yes, I do have an AIM.
(1) The white bushing goes into the hole on the motor. What else slide through that bushing ? Is it the shaft from the headlight bezel ?
(2) Is there a collar with a set screw used inside the bezel or is it used outside and used to hold the motor closer to the bezel and in place ?
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:05 AM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,389 Likes on 920 Posts

1) Yes, the pivot shaft from the headlight bucket passes through the plastic bushing, and the flats on the shaft engage the flatted hole in the output gear on the motor. You will probably need to manually rotate the bucket as you're sliding the motor onto the shaft, in order to align the flats with the gear:

2) The motor foot bracket fits over the post, and the hairpin clip (circled in blue below) is then installed in the groove on the post to retain the motor. The motor is further supported and retained by the steel plate bracket as shown in the photo. The black ground wire is anchored under the screw that attaches the plate bracket to the motor (blue arrow below).

Live well,

SJW
Old 02-16-2024, 04:57 PM
Avispa
Safety Car

Received 885 Likes on 634 Posts

You need either the "clothespin" clip to hold the motor onto the alignment pin or the bracket that attaches to the motor field coil housing to keep the motor in place. Preferably both, but either will keep the motor from moving too far.

See the small screw with star lockwasher in SJW's pic? If you get a correct bracket, make darn sure you get a correct screw. If you put in a too-long screw it may touch the field coil wires and short them out. Don't repeat my mistake. The bracket, by the way, has a large U shaped slot at the other end, where a rubber bushing slides in to mount the bracket to the metal header in the front end nose of the car. The rubber bushing has a built in metal washer.

After owning one of these things for over 40 years, I had no idea a bushing is supposed to be in the motor bracket hole where the headlight bucket shaft passes through. Two C2s and never a bushing in those openings. The bucket shafts and motor holes didn't seem any the worse for wear.

Learn something new all the time in this forum!
Old 02-16-2024, 06:26 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

If inquiring minds want to know, they are the same bushings that are in the clutch and brake box. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To 1966 Coupe headlight motor mounting ?

Quick Reply: [C2] 1966 Coupe headlight motor mounting ?