C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 12:13 PM
66vette425
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust??

Side pipes or rear exhaust, ever get a ticket?

RMS
Old 01-26-2004, 12:28 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (66vette425)

Not yet but I can't see how they can ticket you for an exhaust system that was installed at the factory as stock... Dave.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (66vette425)

Not in a Vette. I am not "cop bashing" all Illinois cops, but certainly know that some go out of their way to impress upon on us "who is the boss". Yes, I have friends that are Illinois cops, so I know of what I speak (they can really be A**Holes! - and they know it!).

I take it that they were "locals", or was it a State Trooper that gave you the ticket? What was the conditions for the ticket (were you sitting at idle, just cruising, or were you getting on it)? On what basis did they say it was too loud (by ear, by meter, etc.). If by ear, then you have a good case if you proove that the exhaust system is in good condition.

If the exhaust system is in good shape, you can go to a muffler shop to have it verified (signed statement) to be in good operation. Don't know where you can go to have it "professionally" tested for sound amplitude, but you may need that to fight the ticket (it sure would not hurt).

Good luck,
Plasticman
Old 01-26-2004, 12:46 PM
7vettes
Race Director

Location: If I say it's safe to surf this beach ......then it's safe to surf this beach
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a new 1965 L-76 Roadster (365hp) and one of the first mods we did was Hedman Headers and Glass-Pak mufflers. For exhaust extensions we used sections of driveshaft from a 1957 Ford. That car was unbelievably loud and there was no way I could sneak up on anything. I ended up getting a couple of speeding tickets because the noise gave me away.

I lived in a town with a traditional Main Street with glass store fronts and the harmonics from that exhaust would actually cause some of the plate glass windows to shake.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:46 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (7vettes)

Yep, I hear you!

Got a loud muffler ticket one fine early Sunday morning going through old downtown Key West in a 63 Jag XKE with the resonators removed, (But officer I had my foot off the throttle!).

The noise was pure music as I lifted off the throttle at 5K, and the sound reverberated off the buildings on each side of the street. I think the ticket was worth the experience!

Plasticman
Old 01-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Boogieman65
Racer

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (Plasticman)

Factory exhaust or not, if the sound exceeds specified levels, you can get a ticket for loud exhaust. Had a '62 plymouth Max Wedge with factory hemi 2-1/2" mufflers that got me a ticket.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once, in the 80's ~ 3 am with a 69 396 Chevelle that had a pair of straight swing-set tubes underneath for exhaust. Coffee and powdered sugar all over the front of mr. officer as he approached :D

You don't hear of it much these days as they'd hafta pull over half the kids in town with their 1000 watt rice cookers, unless there's recklessness involved.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:34 PM
JPatrick
Racer

Plasticman has given you some good advice for fighting the ticket, but you ought to get a copy of the law/reg/code that you were cited under and post it here so we can chew on it.

Of course, whether or not you're successful in court depends on the nature of the particular court. Perhaps they regularly receive massive shipments of kangeroo food or perhaps you can actually go in there and get a fair shake.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:48 PM
RGGregory
Drifting

Nope, just some thumbs up from a couple of RI State Troopers. I find they'll go after the 16 yr old ricers with the bass thumpin away before they'll go after someone in a classic - unless you're doing something stupid. We have a cruise night every week during the summer at the A&W drive in (still has car hops :D ) right down the street. You should hear that place clear out around 9pm or so...cops sit down the road and watch for stupid stuff, but never any noise violations that I'm aware of (buddy from high school is the 2nd shift commander in town).

You didn't say whether you got a ticket or not?

[Modified by RGGregory, 9:48 PM 1/26/2004]
Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 PM
motro
Instructor

Here in the enlightened State of "Cal-eee-for=ny=ah", the cops cite you for what they think is loud exhaust and direct you to a certifed sound station to test your exhaust with a specialized "db" meter. I believe your car cannot be louder that 90 or 100db at 100 ft. But, I'm probably wrong. 3 out of 4 of my cars(Vette, GN, Camaro) have 40-series, single chamber, Flowmasters. The Vette also has Hooker competition long tube headers. All the cars are loud. No tickets yet. Generally, you won't get pulled over for loud exhaust. But, you will get cited for loud exhaust if the cop stops you for speeding, speed contest, wreckless, etc.

Again, I'm guessing here, but, I think it's a "fix it" type ticket. Quiet down the exhaust, get tested again, and the fine is erased. I could be wrong though.

[Modified by motro, 6:54 PM 1/26/2004]
Old 01-26-2004, 11:14 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (motro)

I've had a few over the years. I paid the first one when I was 16 and never paid one after that.

In my case, the rules were very vague with no posted decibel limits or specific tests. Tx only said you had to have an "effective muffling device". My argument was "what's effective?". If I uncap it it gets significantly louder, so it must be functioning to that definition! They threw out quite a few using that argument ( I was young and one officer always seemed to KNOW when I was going to screw up!)

Years later with a 427 Camaro with 4" one chamber Flowmasters, I beat one in Houston. I even did some decibel tests from several distances and conditions. In court I presented my findings and said..."Here's what it is...if you can provide me with something in writing we can compare it to, I'll accept whatever it says." Of course there was nothing in writing and the Judge pitched it out.

It worked for me!

JIM
Old 01-27-2004, 05:50 PM
mymaur
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope! Always had factory side pipes and depending on where the timing is set, they can be damn loud. But have never been pulled over for them.
Old 01-28-2004, 04:40 PM
63FI
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If any of you guys ever do get pulled over, be sure to mention the car is made this way and you did not remove the legal muffler and install a straight tube as the honda boys do with their fart toys. That for sure deserves to be ticketed! The cops in this area are pretty reasonable and seem to find ways to ticket the fart tube boys!!
Old 01-28-2004, 07:44 PM
Dyna
Instructor

Too bad you're not a local here in the Seattle area, I'd invite you over to the test labe and we could measure the sound level with a calibrated, NIST-traceable noise decibel meter. Anyway, that is all that is needed to measure the sound level.

Dyna
Old 01-28-2004, 07:56 PM
Denney
Melting Slicks

I have sidepipes on my coupe, and it is loud...but no tickets yet. Of course I would swear that a lot of the Harleys that I hear are even louder... :rolleyes:
Old 01-29-2004, 06:33 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (Denney)

Not in 35 years but growing up in Kansas City a lot of the cops would give an excessive muffler noise ticket instead of an exhibition of speed ticket or speeding - for street racing - which was a good deal. I try not to press my luck these days and save my open throttle excesses for country roads. :steering:
Old 01-29-2004, 07:38 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (Denney)

I sure agree with Denny about some Harley's exhaust. One Harley that goes by the house can be heard almost a mile away.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust??

Old 01-29-2004, 08:19 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (70ZZ3 96LT4)

Only once in about 74 on my Triumph with open megaphone exhaust. It was loud but sure sounded sweet. Didn't help that I wasn't wearing a helmet, no lights, and no plates. I had it set up for off road racing and was just crossing the hiway from private property to private property. Got no sympathy though. :nopity
Old 01-29-2004, 11:37 PM
HOLLIS
Instructor

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (K2)

Cops are jealous, offer them coupons to Krispy Kreme
Old 01-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Jim Stewart
Advanced

Default Re: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust?? (youwish2bme)

I had a 1970 Olds Cutlass with headers, 2.5" pipes and Flowmasters. I got pulled over twice, but the car idled so quietly that I didn't get a ticket either time.

Quick Reply: Anyone here ever get a ticket for too loud an exhaust??