C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 11:28 PM
66ragtop owner
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Default help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not.

I am rebuilding the entire brake system on my 66. New brake lines, hoses, calipers and master cylinder. There was a note with the new master cylinder (non-power, original reproduction) warning "do not bench bleed, OEM type seal could be damaged". I plan on gravity bleeding the system. Will this be a problem if I don't bench bleed the master cylinder? Also, do I leave all the bleeders open at the same time when doing the gravity bleed?

It's been a long winter and I'm going to need good brakes cause I'm going to use all those ponies when I hit the blacktop.

Thanks for the help.
Brian
Old 03-20-2004, 12:01 AM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not. (66ragtop owner)

I've installed MC's without benching them. In some cases, I've done the bench bleeing right on the car (run teh bleeding tubes right out and up into the resovoir while pushging very gently on the peddle. Then quickly hook up the line while trying not to get any air into the system. Easier and less messy that way.

If you gravity bleed it you should be fine (IMHO). :auto:
Old 03-20-2004, 12:06 AM
Boogieman65
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not. (66ragtop owner)

Seems to me that if you don't bench-bleed the MC, the air will have to escape thru the open caliper screws. I think I would do just one at a time to avoid the excess mess. I assume the order of bleeding would remain the same,RR,LR,RF,LF.
A buddy helped with mine, took us about 1/2 hour .
Old 03-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Default Re: help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not. (Boogieman65)

I just did mine and I didn't bother with bench bleeding and they seem fine. The shop manual says to go LR, RR, RF then LF. I was also reading some archieved info and it was posted there that the reason to start on the LR vs the RR had something to do with the distribution block at the LR. It could be bad info but that's how I just did mine. I'm sure somone else will chime in.... Dave..

Get notified of new replies

To help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not.

Quick Reply: help with new brake master cylinder, bench bleed or not.