C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 windshield weather strip install

Old 04-29-2004, 06:56 AM
blu61
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default C1 windshield weather strip install

I am trying to assemble the windshield for my 61. I have a new weather strip from CC. It needs to be stretched to get it on and I don't like the feel of the flex I'm getting in the windshield when I try to get it on. Also, it tends to come off on one end while trying to get in on the other. Any special tricks for this or do I just keep swearing and hope I don't break the glass?

John
http://www.users.bigpond.com/blu61/
Old 04-29-2004, 07:34 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: C1 windshield weather strip install (blu61)

This can be a very aggrivating job, but will go easier with an extra pair of hands to hold one end while the other is attached. :thumbs:
Old 04-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

I went through this a few years ago. Used the CC replacement weatherstrip, and understand exactly what you mean. I managed to do it myself, but was not easy! I asked and was given great answers by fellows on the forum (see below thread as well as another earlier one with the same thread title - do a search with me as the "Creator" of the thread). I ran into a couple of road bumps (broken windshield post tabs, top trim previously assembled incorrectly, etc.), but in the end, got it together with all digits still intact and in the right places. I did not use sealer between the glass and weatherstrip (figured a C1 will leak in quite a few other spots before I worry about a minute amount coming through there). I am sure this made it a little easier.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/zerothread?id=175982

Good luck!
Plasticman
Old 04-30-2004, 02:21 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 62 Posts

You have mail. Let me know if it comes through ok. Included assembly details and pictures. Good Luck :smash:
Old 04-30-2004, 04:35 PM
corv58
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

relax, i just did mine 2 wks. ago. you need at least two other hands,maybe three. pre stretch the gasket first,use plenty of liquid soap,and a pocketful of patience!! it's too valuable to mess up.. good luck :cheers:
Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
blu61
Intermediate

Default Re: C1 windshield weather strip install (corv58)

Thanks for all these responses. I'm glad it's not just me. I was a bit worried when I read the ST-12 and it just said "install the weatherstrip on the glass", then went onto the frame assembly. I thought I must have been missing something. Hopefully I'll get time to give it a go this weekend.

John
Old 04-30-2004, 05:59 PM
blu61
Intermediate

Default Re: C1 windshield weather strip install (K2)

K2,

came through OK. Thanks for all the info, got the pics. I haven't had a chance to read the whole thing through yet.

John

Get notified of new replies

To C1 windshield weather strip install

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C1 windshield weather strip install