C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

upgrade suspension on the c2's

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 06:15 PM
robflying
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrade suspension on the c2's

Hi all I'm new here looking foward to reading some of these messages.
This topic has been touched on from what I've read but no actual comparison that I've see of. I'm building a 67 coupe not an original car so I can justify doing this, There is a high intrst in me to upgrade to the latest front and rear monoleaf suspension, the question is what kit to use, and to what extend do I need to perform the swap to obtain its benefits. Can anyone comment? I've heard that it improves the ride considerably almost as the c4's. If that is the case it's wel worth it, think monoleaf should absorb more of the road shock with less strest tranmission to the body. I hope I'm right.
Old 07-25-2004, 07:58 PM
78Vette-SA
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IF it were me, next to installing a C4 suspension, I would go with the Vette Brakes complete Monoleaf setup.

http://www.vbandp.com/

And check these out.

http://www.vbandp.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=184

Welcome aboard!

Old 07-25-2004, 09:52 PM
robflying
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responce, but does it make that much of a diffrence? Can anyone thats done the swap comment on ride and performance. Also while I'm at it, with ofset rims what size tires can I run without rubbing problems?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:53 PM
0Robert Hall
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just switched to VBP front and rear fiberglass leaf setup

Handling is at least as good as before

Ride is noticeablably better

It does tend to bounce you 3-4 times after going over a speed bump
Old 07-26-2004, 03:03 AM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have the complete VBP monoleaf suspension on the front of my car, including their upper and lower A arms. The stiffness is adjustable, so ride comfort is what you make of it. I have mine set up to almost full stiff. The ride height is also adjustable, which I like. Overall I really like it.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:11 AM
VBP
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '07,'13

Robflying,

Give me a call and I will be happy to discuss your suspension options with you and price. Remember Corvette Forum Members always get a discount with us.

Tony
VBP

tony@vbandp.com
800-237-9991
Old 07-26-2004, 07:25 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by robflying
There is a high intrst in me to upgrade to the latest front and rear monoleaf suspension, the question is what kit to use, and to what extend do I need to perform the swap to obtain its benefits. Can anyone comment? I've heard that it improves the ride considerably almost as the c4's. If that is the case it's wel worth it, think monoleaf should absorb more of the road shock with less strest tranmission to the body. I hope I'm right.
We have had the Vette Brakes "Performance Plus" package on our 67 for five years now. If you are looking for a reasonable (cost-wise & effort) approach to changing your suspension I don't know of a better one than the Vette Brake package. We did a C4 conversion on our 62 but that is a much more involved project. I'd give the folks at Vette Brakes a call to discuss with them what you are looking for in terms of ride and handling.

Rich Lagasse
Old 07-27-2004, 05:45 PM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by richscorvettes
We have had the Vette Brakes "Performance Plus" package on our 67 for five years now. If you are looking for a reasonable (cost-wise & effort) approach to changing your suspension I don't know of a better one than the Vette Brake package. We did a C4 conversion on our 62 but that is a much more involved project. I'd give the folks at Vette Brakes a call to discuss with them what you are looking for in terms of ride and handling.

Rich Lagasse
Great looking cars How would you compare the handling and ride of the 62 to the 67? Intersted to see what the gains on a C4 conversion.
Old 07-27-2004, 06:36 PM
richscorvettes
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by 93Polo
Great looking cars How would you compare the handling and ride of the 62 to the 67? Intersted to see what the gains on a C4 conversion.
Lamar,

It's difficult to make a direct comparison since the cars are so different from one another. One car has a big block and is a heavier car while the other has the aluminum small block LS6 and is considerably lighter. It would be easier to answer your question if both cars were identical except for the suspension. Also, the spring rate and shock valving had to be changed considerably on the 62 to account for it's much lower weight than the C4 Vette the suspension originally came from. Once that was dialed in the handling and ride have been great. It would be interesting to see how they both performed on a skid pad but we haven't done that.

I can tell you though that converting to a C4 setup is much more involved and costly than the Vette Brakes package. Both can be made to suit your preferences in ride and handling. Vette Brakes doesn't make one for the C1's though so it wasn't an option on that car. You could say that the C4 setup is a more sophisticated suspension and it's hard to beat the appearance and weight of the aluminum components. Then again it's a matter of cost and effort and I think the Vette Brakes package is a decent value for a C2.

We like to do something different with each car and felt the C4 setup was one worth trying on the 62. On our current 63 Coupe project we will be using the tube frame from SRIII Motorsports which uses the C5 front end and a modified C4 rear along with coil-overs. I'm anxious to see how that one performs but this is a longer term project and won't know for quite a while.

Sorry I can't be more specific but those are our general impressions. We like them both but they each have their own character.

Rich Lagasse
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
93Polo
Team Owner

Received 367 Likes on 314 Posts
CI 3-4-5-9 Veteran

Understand on the different characters for each car. I am playing with the idea of selling my 70 Chevelle and finish a shell of a 67 Corvette. Just looking for impressions

Get notified of new replies

To upgrade suspension on the c2's

Quick Reply: upgrade suspension on the c2's