C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Convertible Top Replacement For '66

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 06:17 PM
VETTE1966
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Top Replacement For '66

I am looking at replacing my convertible top on my 1966. Several have talked to me about Al Knoch tops. Any opinions here (vs. those you buy from other house like Corvette Central, etc.) ? Not looking to bad-mouth any supplier. Just trying to find the one that most people have had good luck with.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 06:50 PM
6tee6
Racer

I just did my top this past winter. I bought a top and pads from Al Knoch.

I would definitely get the instructional video unless you've done this before.

Spend the time getting your frame aligned and centered first, before you start putting on the top and don't worry about every little wrinkle....you'll just drive yourself insane
Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 PM
75vetman
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '05
Default new top

I just helped out a full time upholster who is a friend to do my 65 top. I personally will not try it myself, we spent about 6-7 hours doing it. Just make sure you do not skimp on a quality top. I had him order me one from Knoch.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:07 PM
joevette57
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed an Al Knock top on my 66. Purchased it through Corvette Central during one of their free shipping sales. VERY VERY Nice!!.
I purchased my car with a hardtop only so had to purchase frame, weatherstrip and everything. Had a local Corvette shop in Tampa install, and they did a bang up job!!
I'd never attempt to do myself.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:34 AM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

We installed an Al Knoch top on a '67 last year. Turned out great, but it is a lot of work. Get the top from Al Knock. The instructional video is imparitive for the novice. It was a great help. Aligning the top frame to the windows prior to installing the top is good advice.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:40 PM
VETTE1966
Intermediate

Default Thank You All

Based on this advice, I have bot the top from Al Knoch and am having it installed (I'm too chicken to do it myself).
Old 07-29-2004, 04:11 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't blame you for having it done. It is a very intensive job. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:21 PM
ronaustin
Advanced

Default Mid Year Soft Tops

I realize that this would not even be an option for NCRS types, but when I needed a new top for my previous '63, I had one made with a zipper rear window. What an improvement when driving in hot weather. For those times when it is to hot to have the top up and to hot to have it down. The cross ventillation is perfect with it down. I had the zipper done on both sides and the top and when unzipped, the window simply layed on the deck. I put a towel under it (red towel to match the car) and never had any problems with scratches.
It made such an improvement to the summer driveability of the other car that I also had one made for our current '63 even though it has A/C.
It's not for everyone, but it is practical.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

ronaustin,

I would be interested in seeing some closeup shots of your zipped rear window top. I too wanted to have this done when I had my top installed but the installer talked me out of it saying it wasn't practical having that window and zipper flopping around on the inside. Your experience tells me otherwise. Appreciate your posting inside pics of the window zipped up as well as unzipped. If you're unable to post, e-mail 'em to me. Am interested in going this route next time around.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Jim
Old 07-30-2004, 01:17 PM
ronaustin
Advanced

I'll try and shoot some pictures today and post them this afternoon. By the way, I didn't use a zipper in this one, I had it done in Velcrow. As for security, if someone really wants to get into a roadster, it wouldn't make any difference anyway. I also wasn't worried about it, as I have the full '96 factory alarm anyway.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:09 PM
ronaustin
Advanced

I gonna try and post those top pictures for you. Wish me luck. If they come through ok, I post some explainations.

Old 07-30-2004, 05:15 PM
ronaustin
Advanced

Well! let me first say that I am amazed that I was able to post them on the first try. You will notice that one of them shows the third front top latch that I put in. It finally stopped the water from running down the inside of the windshield. You also notice that I had the top made from the same material as C-4 and C-5. There are a lot of other unique things about my car, but that's another story.
I hope these help with you decision.
Ron

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Top Replacement For '66

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Replacement For '66