C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

62 spare tire & jack handle question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 01:29 PM
jwc62
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 62 spare tire & jack handle question

I just purchaed my first 62 corvette and added the missing spare tire(Firestone 6.70 X 15) to the trunk. However, the tire width doesn't allow the spare tire cover to sit within the recessed area. The tire cover is a flat 3/8" thick plywood. Is the tire cover correct? Also, I purchased a correct jack handle and it is unable to fold flat within the recessed area of the trunk because of the way the two halfs are pined/formed together for folding.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:17 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

The plywood cover is flat and around 3/8" thick. It's probably correct. It's not sticking up because of the cover. It's sticking up because the tire is too fat. It seems that today's 6.70 tires are fatter than yesterday's.

I've got a 185/75-15 in my well. Don't know if you can buy that size anymore. Some people use the 15" "donut" spares off 80s and 90s GM products. Or, you can live with the spare sticking up a little.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:54 PM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

Default the wheel may be to wide

In 1957 thru 62, Chevrolet also offered a wide wheel option. This option had a 5 1/2" wheel vs. a 5 ", and used the little dog dish hubcaps seen on cheap 150 and Biscayne six cylinder passanger cars. These wheels were used on Heavy Duty suspension and brake cars that were used in road racing events.

So see if the wheel is a rivited unit, without the little nubs to hold the hub caps and is 5 and 1/2 inches wide. If it is, I would like to buy it. I will supply the standard 5 inch wide wheel no charge and I will pay the shipping.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Although the tread width is the same, the overall inflated cross-section width of current reproduction 6.70-15 tires is wider than the original 50's-60's 6.70-15's. DOT standards now require that all tires be inflated, hot, when they come out of the mold, so they're slightly "fatter" when they cool down than the originals were. Use a smaller cross-section tire or just live with the cover not being quite flush with the floor.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:37 PM
MO62RCFI
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked at the spare in my '62. It is a 678X15 and the cover is flat. I also have a set of 650X15 tires so I put one of those in the trunk and the cover is not flush. The key may be the amount of air in the tires, my 678 has none. While it is nice to have an inflated tire for a spare, you probably won't use it. Try letting some air out and see if it fits. Hopefully this is a fix until you get the correct tire/wheel.

My jack handle fits perfectly in the slot. You may not have the correct handle.

Get notified of new replies

To 62 spare tire & jack handle question

Quick Reply: 62 spare tire & jack handle question