C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

383 Stoker Crate Motor in a 66

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default 383 Stoker Crate Motor in a 66

I want to swap my tired 327 for a new zz383 Stroker from GM. Can anyone see any problems with this swap. I know the short water pump has to be addressed. Edelbrock has one that will work. This will be in a 1966 Coupe with a 3:55 rear end.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:21 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dennis,

I have already received my 383 stroker (480hp/465lbs torque) from www.enginefactory.com for my 63' convertible. The body is off and the chassis work is currently in progress. I guess I can let you know how well it goes, as I forecast it being installed in about 3 weeks.

James
Old 09-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Dennis Beck
Drifting

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Big Block Hood

Will you be using a big block hood? I contacted the engine factory about that clearance and they said it would be close. Edelbrock has a lower intake manifold for the fast burn heads but it robs some HP.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:33 PM
OverBudget
Pro

Default hood clearance

Dennis,

You get points for considering this before pulling the trigger. I did not. I plan on using a stock 63 hood, but will ad-lib with a big block hood or a modified 63 hood if the clearance doesn't work.

James
Old 09-27-2004, 06:34 PM
Biggus Blockus
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis Beck
I want to swap my tired 327 for a new zz383 Stroker from GM. Can anyone see any problems with this swap.
You'll need to up your tire budget!

The hood clearance will be very tight. Too close to call. Be prepared to swap your SB hood for a BB hood or make an intake manifold swap that may cost you a few ponies.

A 383 is a plenty powerful motor so you may not miss 'em anyway if you are used to a tired 327.

Old 09-27-2004, 06:47 PM
sjaroslo
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: And make no mistake, there's women who just wait for the man and machine with the best time
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I put a Fastburn 385 into my 66 SB coupe. It has the Vortec heads and a Chevy manifold. While I was technically able to get the hood closed over the Holley 750, it was not worth the effort. I had to create a bastardized air cleaner setup that definitely did not feed the engine the amount of air it was looking for... I would plan on a new hood in your budget.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:33 PM
LB66383
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a 383 stroker in my '66 coupe. Granted, it has the "old fashioned" (pre-vortec) heads, but it has an RPM airgap manifold, holley 750, and a 2" oval air cleaner, all sitting under a '67 BB hood. It's tight but it fits with a silly millimeter or three to spare.
Old 10-02-2004, 04:34 PM
drivun
Instructor

Default Try it...you'll like it!

My zz383 went into my 66 coupe 4 weeks ago, and it is a significant improvement on a tired 327/350! Versus a more traditional replacement, I was surprised at the fiddly things/trips that can consume a weekend
quickly, so plan ahead.
Carb Clearance -I was already running a 67 Stinger hood so the 750 Demon and Vortec RPM Air Gap fit using the stock open element air cleaner w/o anything more than a snip of the aircleaner at the choke linkage. Stock hood would likely be a problem.
]Water Pump 1/4"-20x1 1/4" panhead bolt from Pep Boys in the timing cover under the pass side leg of short leg alum pump GM X14011012 solved clearance issues. My March HP Billet water pump pulley (6030) needed to be drilled out to accept the pumps bigger shaft. Not sure stock pulley would fit could be drilled.
Pump bypass hose was a challenge but trimming U shaped Gates PN 19607 from NAPA and brass L-Blocks/nipples from hardware store resolved cleanly.
Per another Forum member install block drain petcocks - 1 1/4" before the block goes in while access is easy. Similarily, remove the plug for the oil pressure line before the block goes in.
Ignition - went with full MSD mech tach drive billet dist
(8572)/6AL to keep stock tach. Make sure to bypass resistor mounted on firewall drivers side of distributor or the car will start but not run, and you'll burn out the starter. ( experience teaches!)
Trans Used CenterForce flywheel 700170,clutch DF271675, bearing N1716 and Summit roller pilot bearing G1700. We had to open up the clutch inspection cover with tinsnips to clear the one piece seal.
Exhaust is currently the rams horns into stock sidepipes but will be replaced in 500 miles with ceramic coated Sanderson 1 3/4 D-port block huggers (CC134 D-Port) already in the garage.
Accessories - We were creative with spacers/ bolts for the original alternator, had no PS/PB, and havent been able to find a mount for the original GM compressor on a VORTEC head. All aftermarket suppliers have a mount for Sanden compressor, so thats my next investment. If you want an older valve cover style you will need the GM adapter and sort out a PCV.
This is a great bolt in swap- big block horses in a lighter than small block package. But nothing great comes without sweat and a wallet! Try it - you'll like it!

Get notified of new replies

To 383 Stoker Crate Motor in a 66

Quick Reply: 383 Stoker Crate Motor in a 66