C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Alignment for C2's

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 01:46 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Alignment for C2's

How should C2's be aligned? Are they similar to modern day cars, and can you trust a wheel / tire place that does front end alignment to do this?

Not sure how much the components / techniques have changed over the years, car is pulling a bit to the right now (hit curb / blew tire)
Also steering wheel is not 'straight' in static position.

What would a reasonable cost be for this service? Any tips?

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about rear wheel alignment or not at this point. I'm guessing I should go for alignment firrst and see if pulling goes away, before I consider any bent components.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:50 PM
Mikey1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on what tyres you use....with 215/70-15 you can use the VBP street setup or ask a shop to use the values of the recent Mercedes Benz SL....fits quite well.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:56 PM
lemish
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most of the new machines can have specs for older cars if they so choose to have them installed in their computer. I would expect to pay Exotic Car prices and have them handle the car with kid gloves - if a regular 4 wheel alignment is 99, expect to pay 225. Simply ask the folks at the shop if they have someone they would trust, they will usually be honest. If anyone in the Northern Virginia area needs the name of a place, I have a couple places I can recommend.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:56 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,188 Posts

With radial tires use 1/16" total toe in, front and rear. On the rear it must be split equally between both sides.

Standard touring:

Front caster 1.5-2.0 deg. (2.0-2.5 for P/S)

Camber: zero deg. front (recommend installation of hard urethane front anti-roll bar link bushings), negative 1/2 deg. rear

Sport (if you have H-rated or above tires with a wear rating of less than 400):

Front caster: 2.0 deg. (2.5 with P/S)
Camber negative one deg. at all four corners (requires installation of hard urethane bushings on front anti-roll bar end links.)

For both standard touring and sport settings, cross camber and cross caster should be as close to zero as possible.

Duke

Last edited by SWCDuke; 10-05-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-05-2004, 03:01 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey Duke you got that reply on a Hot key Those specs are the ticket my car almost handles like a go cart now... Dave..
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 PM
tuxedo
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to reputable and knowledgeable shop that has done a n old corvette alignemnt before. Not the $49.95 shop. Although many of the machines have the spec.s You need to find a person that has the knowledge to do a 4 wheel alignemnt on an old car. Most tech. have no clue on how to do one on anold car. Expecilly the back wheels. They may say they can but you would be surprised. Bring Shims especially the Slotted Shims as they will not have them especially for the back of the car.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:30 PM
brucep
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
With radial tires use 1/16" total toe in, front and rear. On the rear it must be split equally between both sides.

Standard touring:

Front caster 1.5-2.0 deg. (2.0-2.5 for P/S)

Camber: zero deg. front (recommend installation of hard urethane front anti-roll bar link bushings), negative 1/2 deg. rear

Sport (if you have H-rated or above tires with a wear rating of less than 400):

Front caster: 2.0 deg. (2.5 with P/S)
Camber negative one deg. at all four corners (requires installation of hard urethane bushings on front anti-roll bar end links.)

For both standard touring and sport settings, cross camber and cross caster should be as close to zero as possible.

Duke
Duke, I too have set my car to your touring specs with one exception, I do not have urethane front bushings. Can I swap these in without a realignment, and if I do what differnce will I feel? BTW I changed my oil this weekend and put some of that diesel stuff in you have been recomending.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:44 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Sure! The anti-roll bar end link bushings have nothing to do with alignment.

Hard bushings at this location will reduce compliance and make the front anti-roll bar more effective at high roll angles, which will help maintain just enough understeer to reduce the tendency to transition into oversteer and the dreaded yaw oscillation that was discussed in a recent thread.

Duke
Old 10-06-2004, 09:37 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Duke great info, thanks a million. I'll print it out to take with me.

You know if anyone ever offered Forum archives on CD they'd be worth a fortune! ....for those times when you can't get online.

I'm just curious...where did you get that info?
Old 10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Alignment like dwell angle, initial timing, and the charactistics of the spark advance map and fuel flow curve is a "tuning parameter". Forty plus years of racing and tuning cars has taught me what works, and most OE suspensions can be considerably improved with tires, shocks, alignment and hard bushings in the anti-roll bar links.

I first learned of radial tires' need for less toe-in from the Pirelli Pocket Guide that I received with the purchase of a new set of Pirelli Cinturatos in 1968 that replaced the Michelin X radials I installed in 1964 after chunking the SWC's OE 6.70-15 General JetAires during a day of hot lapping Kent in the summer of '63.

Radial tires don't need as much toe-in because they have longer footprints and more inherent self aligning torque than bias ply tires.

No single set of chassis or engine tuning parameters is necessarily correct for all drivers, but if you drive your Corvette "normally" the touring specs should be a good starting point. If you drive your Corvette very aggressively, have good tires, and want to get the maximum potential out of the tires, the "sport" settings are an excellent starting point. From those two points you can experiment if you find some deficiency in the car's dynamic response.

Duke

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment for C2's

Quick Reply: Alignment for C2's