C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

octane boost

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 02:45 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default octane boost

Do octane boost really work I have an L79 freshly tuned to specs but get a ping at lower rpms. going to try a boost in octane to see if this helps.Anybody ever use a boost???? If this does not work then will play with timing but would rather not.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:14 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they help
Old 10-23-2004, 06:51 AM
67435animal
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NINETNINEVETT
Do octane boost really work I have an L79 freshly tuned to specs but get a ping at lower rpms. going to try a boost in octane to see if this helps.Anybody ever use a boost???? If this does not work then will play with timing but would rather not.
Waste of money. Octane boosters claim 'increase up to 8 points!!' which really means an increase of .8 points. They also leave a rust coloreed deposit on your spark plugs and upper cylinders.

Do not buy octane boosters.

Your car should run fine on pump gas. If you are getting some knock, reduce your timing a degree or two.

If you want octane, find some racing fuel and mix it with super unleaded to get the octane you need.

If you need more information, search the forum for 'octane booster' and 'racing fuel'. We have discussed this many times over the years.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:19 AM
gary kettlitz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will follow up with the threads on the forum, but my L79 LOVES booster (104). It does run on 93 octane, but not very well. A bottle of 104 with each tank and the difference is amazing...gary.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:39 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

L-79s have 30 degrees of centrifugal, so even though the initial is probably recommended at 10, you only need 6 to 8 to get the desired 36-38 total WOT advance.

Retarding you timing as little as 2 degrees could do the trick. Also, someone may have quickened the centrifugal curve, so check it against spec and slow it down if necessary.

"Octane boosters" are a waste. If you really need more octane, blend in some 100LL avgas ofrhigh octane race gas. As little as a ten percent blend could do the trick.

Duke
Old 10-25-2004, 04:23 PM
bovette
Instructor

I had the same problem in my GTO after the rebuild, I started putting 1 gallon of Sunoco 110 in and then filling up with 93 octane and the problem went away.
Old 10-25-2004, 05:11 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
L-79s have 30 degrees of centrifugal, so even though the initial is probably recommended at 10, you only need 6 to 8 to get the desired 36-38 total WOT advance.

Retarding you timing as little as 2 degrees could do the trick. Also, someone may have quickened the centrifugal curve, so check it against spec and slow it down if necessary.

"Octane boosters" are a waste. If you really need more octane, blend in some 100LL avgas ofrhigh octane race gas. As little as a ten percent blend could do the trick.

Duke
all thats necessary.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

I don't agree that all octane boosters are a waste. Some do raise the octane of gas, especially those with analine oil (not sure of spelling). It's not an over the counter item, but it is used in some brands of octane booster (in some it is nothing but analine oil). It is proved to raise the the octane by 2 to 4 points (not .2 or .4)
Old 10-28-2004, 09:28 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GCD1962
I don't agree that all octane boosters are a waste. Some do raise the octane of gas, especially those with analine oil (not sure of spelling). It's not an over the counter item, but it is used in some brands of octane booster (in some it is nothing but analine oil). It is proved to raise the the octane by 2 to 4 points (not .2 or .4)
what brand???
Old 10-28-2004, 10:48 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

When the "snake-oil" octane boost peddlers advertise "points increase", it's in tenths of an octane point, not full points. The stuff is mostly alcohol and "petroleum distillates", which is not friendly to standard gaskets, and will eat the protective plating off the inside of your float bowls (then the alcohol content attracts moisture - it's extremely hygroscopic). Unprotected zinc and water isn't a good thing.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:05 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Default Long paper on the search for anti-knock formula

Originally Posted by GCD1962

http://www.runet.edu/~wkovarik/papers/kettering2.html

Aniline oil is mentioned several times starting with "early research".
Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MikeM
http://www.runet.edu/~wkovarik/papers/kettering2.html

Aniline oil is mentioned several times starting with "early research".
I know some are different I've mixed some of my own and could tell
a difference, shade tree i know but had to
Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
gary kettlitz
Instructor

Originally Posted by JohnZ
When the "snake-oil" octane boost peddlers advertise "points increase", it's in tenths of an octane point, not full points. The stuff is mostly alcohol and "petroleum distillates", which is not friendly to standard gaskets, and will eat the protective plating off the inside of your float bowls (then the alcohol content attracts moisture - it's extremely hygroscopic). Unprotected zinc and water isn't a good thing.

Once again, thank you guys (especially you senior members who provide such a wealth of knowledge)...this is great info., it's nice to save $$ and treat your mid-year better at the same time!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 11:09 PM
johnfharding
Racer

Default I have L-79 that likes good gas

I am playing with the timing on mine to check and see if I can get Amoco 93 to work and still have a decent responding engine or not.. I have played with timing and weights and spring in the distributor and etc. right now I think I'm at around 12 degree's at 800 . What I have noticed is the car gets really lazy if I drop down into the 8 or 10 initial advance range, but my ping does go away. I have also noticed that my car pings more in warm weather. I put a full tank of 110 octane in the tank and I'll guarantee it didn't ping then but,, honestly it was leaded racing fuel and it left a white powdery substance all over my rear bumpers. Duke says 30 degree's of centrifigal and I believe him. but last time I checked all I could get was 20. I probably didn't rev High enough. I don't think I'm helping much but,, my engine may not exactly be stock,, I really don't know.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:47 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

With the timing (i.e., initial and centrifugal) are set to spec my '65 L76 is stock and runs fine on 94 octane with no detonation . Your L79 should not need any octane booster if everything is set up correctly.

Last edited by stingrayl76; 10-29-2004 at 08:56 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:46 AM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Originally Posted by NINETNINEVETT
My problem is that in California you can only get 91 octane at the pumps. I tried to mix 5 gallons of 100 octane to my tank of 91 and seems to running fine. Problem is if I am out of my area it is tough to get racing fuel. I will play with the timing alittle but it runs great right now dont want to mess it up. Thanks for all the tips. Mike
Old 10-29-2004, 05:12 PM
comp
Team Owner

Old 10-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Same problem here in Arizona with 91 octane - I mix 3-4 gallons of race fuel (available at a local 76 station - $4.50 gallon!) per tank with my L79 and it works great - each area of the country is different - of course sea level vs high alitude is a different story.......

Get notified of new replies

To octane boost

Quick Reply: octane boost