C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

where to jack up my '65?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 09:20 PM
xsray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default where to jack up my '65?

I want to install a new exhaust system and need to put the vette up on jack stands. This sounds silly, but I'm not sure what points to use to jack up the car, the jack stands go where the normal jacking points are and I don't want to hurt anything.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:45 PM
Allcoupedup
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Xsray,
I place the jack on the main rails right in front in front of the transmisison cross member. This placement will lift the whole side of the car.

You'll want to place on stand as far back as it will go without interfering with the gusset and then as far forward as you can go on the main side rail (the straight part).

I pop one side up to the lowest setting on the stands, pop the other side up a few notches above the lowest setting on the stand, and the go back to the first side and raise it up a few more notches.

I wrapped my jack stands with some old t-shirts and duct tape and I use a bunch of cardboard layers on my jack so that I do not dent the frame.

Brian
Old 11-01-2004, 02:35 AM
SWCDuke
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,188 Posts

I've never bent or broken anything jacking my SWC up by the front cross member or rear strut rod bracket, but I always use a wood block on the jack pad - just a cut piece of construction grade 2x4.

I've also jacked up and entire side by placing the jack pad with wood block at the intersection of the frame rail and center cross member, but I've never put it on jack stands that way - just jacked up the whole side to rotate the tires front to rear, rear to front.

Duke
Old 11-01-2004, 07:02 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SWCDuke
I've never bent or broken anything jacking my SWC up by the front cross member or rear strut rod bracket, but I always use a wood block on the jack pad - just a cut piece of construction grade 2x4.

I've also jacked up and entire side by placing the jack pad with wood block at the intersection of the frame rail and center cross member, but I've never put it on jack stands that way - just jacked up the whole side to rotate the tires front to rear, rear to front.

Duke
Some folks have reported damage to their front cross member by using this method, but it's never hurt one of my cars either.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:54 AM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

they've experienced damage because they have attempted to jack the car WITHOUT the wood block - big difference!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 AM
xsray
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info, I'll try both ways to see which one I'm more comfortable with.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:32 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

as for pads, wood blocks, etc - I long ago purchased a "hockey puck" for my floor jack - a yellow medium soft plastic piece that fits on top of the round pad; and similar items for my jack stands (not unlike ears for the tops of ladders). Nice pieces to have around. Perhaps I got them from JEGs or Paragon? I forget.

very kind to the frame on my 65, which went through a "frame-off" in 98.

Get notified of new replies

To where to jack up my '65?

Quick Reply: where to jack up my '65?