C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

HELP...Installing 63 rear window trim over rubber molding.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 12:21 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Default HELP...Installing 63 rear window trim over rubber molding.

I have run into a problem and need HELP... I am trying to install the rear stainless steel molding over the rubber weatherstriping. The clips are installed correctly, so is the rubber molding, however when I go to install the trim, the rubber molding seems to be too thick as the SS molding is not getting to the clips on the side. I bought the Rubber molding from Corvette Rubber, and got the cllips from Corvette America.

I am going to try to trim the rubber on the top....and see if the molding will fit. If this does not work, this means the CLIPS that I purchase, must be just a hairline SHORT, and I will have to remove the windows and start all over and repurchase the rubber and clips. Now, my question, am I doing thing right? Are all CLIPs the same or does one vendor offer clips that a better then others? Below are some photos to help you see what I am talking about...PLEASE I need help....

The picture above shows the CORVER SS Molding and the fit....

Again this shows the fit...I am planning to take a dremol tool and trim the weatherstripping that would be under the SS Trim. I think this would allow the SS trim connect to the clips.....

Are all clips the same...do some vendors offer better clips then others? I got these from Corvette America, is there a vendor who makes a LONGER rear window clip...remember the 63 clip is different then other years....... HELP

Last edited by 1KULC7; 11-06-2004 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 03:48 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

I know that many have had troubles with the windshield clips. I believe that Paragon sells the correct clip for that application. Others have clips of a slightly different design that makes installation of the trim difficult. Although I have no experience with this, I would assume that this might be the problem with the rear trim too. Chuck
Old 11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Bullshift!
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same problem... or should I say "I was having the same problem". I got so frustrated that I bailed on it for the year. Sad, but true.

You see, after chipping the purgatory out of the paint along the window's edge and replacing the rubber three times... I vowed to leave it alone until I could complete my anger management classes.

Now if I could only get my arms out of this straight jacket.

Alann J.
63SWC

P.S. Let me know if cutting the rubber down helps. As soon as I get my certification back for handling sharp objects I will give it a try.

Old 11-07-2004, 08:13 PM
project63
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd recommend putting some heavy "low stick" masking tape along the edge to protect the paint. You might also try warming the weather strip with a hair dryer and mashing the begeebers out of it.

good luck,
tc
Old 11-08-2004, 04:14 PM
1KULC7
Le Mans Master

Received 313 Likes on 136 Posts

Called Corvette Rubber, they have no idea, what he did tell me was not to use, or use very sparingly the adhesive or sealer. That gets in the window "Fence" what the rubber sits in, and can cause the rubber to be pushed up almost 1/8 of an inch or so. In addition use a HEAT Gun to soften the rubber when you are working on putting the trim on, and finally to trim around the clips to remove the accessive rubber, and like previous post said...use tape around the body panel..

Ordered new rubber and clips and ready to start all over again..

Any more ideas????
Old 11-08-2004, 11:46 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I regret to inform you ...

Sir:

I was away Thursday-Sunday so I just got your note today Monday when my wife got home from work. The 1963 split window weather strips on the market today were first made by a very old supplier and one tool, that was produced in the 1970’s. To my knowledge, this was and still is the only one reproduction made for these 1963 coupe rear glass pieces. It was made by the fellow who gave great impetus to the beginning Corvette reproduction market and later became TMCS, SCMT, Great Lakes Corvette Supply and various other incarnations. They came close, but it’s not 100 points. Along the way, as time passed and sand passed through the hourglass - this exact same repro tool ended up with another supplier. (Not me.)

That reproduction part was a little too big in the 1970’s, 1980’s, 1990’s and is still a wee bit rotund in the profile still today. Regretfully the market supply and demand is such that this reproduction is probably never going to be changed, nor will another be offered. The current supplier did not make the tool, takes no credit for it and probably will not be economically inspired to create another – and from a realistic stand point I don’t blame him. If the rubber had a slightly softer durometer that would help.

I still have a pair of my old originals and they were gooped up with sealant, however they were a smaller profile and may have needed all that sealant goop. Someday they may go back in place.

Good advice on the heat gun, trimming, HD masking tape, etc. It’s either this old Terry Michaelis reproduction part or hunt for an original pair.

Geoffrey Coenen

PS I’m luvin my new C6. 2000 miles since Sept 29th.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP...Installing 63 rear window trim over rubber molding.

Quick Reply: HELP...Installing 63 rear window trim over rubber molding.