C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Lost VIN tag

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Mike1234
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost VIN tag

I am about to purchase a 58 vette. Car is missing the VIN tag. But I checked the frame and the numbers do match. Car currently is regestered in California with proper title showing the correct vin number that matches the frame. All documentation seems legitimate.

I will be getting it from a dealer in California. So part of the sale is that he will get the car transfered and registered. This way I will not need to go to the DMV.

Therefore I am trying to see if I am taking a chance here. Can I obtian another VIN tag somewhere? Is it worth all the headaches.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

I wouldn't TOUCH a car without a VIN tag, regardless of what the dealer says. If the frame VIN derivative stamp matches the title, the DMV can issue a state-issued VIN tag, which then makes the car legal; let the dealer handle that with the DMV - it's his responsibility to make the car DMV-legal before he sells it.
Old 11-10-2004, 03:10 PM
JSB69
Burning Brakes

In addition, if you haven't already done so, make sure the VIN is a '58 Corvette VIN.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:11 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Mike,
A new VIN tag can be made without resorting to a state issued tag. There is a comapany called Backeast, that will make you a new VIN tag if you comply with all their requirements. They require that you furnish them proof of ownership via a copy of the title in your name, and an affadavit from a law enforcement official in your state that the VIN on the frame matches the VIN on the title. I would make the dealer jump through the hoops to get the tag since you may have a problem getting a law enforcement affadavit. In Texas, it is not a problem since there is already a form that the state uses for issue of a state assigned VIN that works fine. I just get the Department of Public Safety to inspect the frame #, and then send the form to Backeast rather than the state. I would not even consider doing this if I had not personally inspected the frame VIN myself! If you have a state issued Vin, the value of the car takes a big hit, I would avoid this at almost all costs!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 11-10-2004, 08:51 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

AG Backeast: http://www.datatags.com/
Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
andy60
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

with John McGraw have the dealer supply you with the doc Backeast needs

Last edited by andy60; 11-10-2004 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:22 PM
toadster
Instructor

Default CALIF DMV VIN info

Mike..........download the CA DMV form, "VIN Verification", and have any Police Officer "verify" your VIN on the car with your paperwork. You may have to drive to your local PD, unless you have a friend who can come to you and verify. Then get an original looking vin tag made from that company that was mentioned. I don't think you really want DMV to assign one of their vin tags/numbers to your vette. I would be glad to do your vin verification for you, but I am up here in N. Calif. Email me off line if you need any more info........
Old 11-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Denney
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JohnZ
I wouldn't TOUCH a car without a VIN tag, regardless of what the dealer says. If the frame VIN derivative stamp matches the title, the DMV can issue a state-issued VIN tag, which then makes the car legal; let the dealer handle that with the DMV - it's his responsibility to make the car DMV-legal before he sells it.
John, would you have said the same thing if it was a 60-62 series C-1? You probably know as well as anyone (perhaps better) that those VIN tags had a real bad habit of falling off the steering column... Not the finest idea on the part of GM to spot weld those things in place, was it?

Last edited by Denney; 11-11-2004 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:58 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Yes, I would - a missing VIN tag is a missing tag regardless if it started out on the hinge pillar or on the mast jacket; many '60-'62 owners add epoxy, clamps, etc. to their original tags to keep them from falling off (incredibly poor design). Backeast is an excellent alternative if you can verify the VIN and get it documented; in many cases owners can't due to replaced or badly-rusted frames and non-existent paperwork, then a state-issued VIN is the only alternative left. Although a state-issued VIN is acceptable for NCRS judging, it definitely will hurt the resale value of the car (for a knowledgeable buyer).
Old 11-11-2004, 11:18 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default John Z`s Wheels

Off topic to the thread, but John, I like your wheels on the Blue Vette.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:25 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Yup, Phil Schmidt (PS Engineering, Torrance, California) made them for me; note the safety-wire from the spinner ear to the wheel at the 3 o'clock position:

Last edited by JohnZ; 11-12-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Lost VIN tag

Quick Reply: Lost VIN tag