C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

waterless car wash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 10:10 PM
NINETNINEVETT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterless car wash

Do any members use waterless car wash on there vetts. Pros and cons. Thanks
Old 11-16-2004, 10:15 PM
tdelph
Drifting

I havent, but I heard on other post...I think Mid-Year or something. That they said the Mr Clean thing...Armstrong...whatever...worked great and didnt leave any spots. I will try that on the Infiniti first, then the Vette...you never know until you try it yourself.

Old 11-16-2004, 10:17 PM
tdelph
Drifting

My bad... I was confused.

I know nothing about waterless.

sorry for the reply.

:o
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 PM
SebringBill
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Dri Wash & Guard for over 8 years on my 57 (last painted in 1993 basecoat/clearcoat 93 Torch Red w/a tweak) and things still look just fine. I also use it on the 97. I like the stuff!
Old 11-17-2004, 08:04 AM
JL66REDCPE
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

I also use Dri Wash and Guard. Have been since day one which is also 8 years. Even use it on the windows.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:36 AM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

My car was painted (base + clear) in 2002. My painter recommended a duster and a product called QuicShine 99. I can only find it via Internet sales. I like the product.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:35 AM
oneputt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use a bucket of warm water and a chamois to wipe it down. Works very well.
Old 11-17-2004, 06:15 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Why waterless?

Forgive me, but I must ask why anyone would use waterless car wash?
What is supposed to be the 'advantage'?

Is this something you wipe on, then wipe off, like a wax? And if so, why not just use water, then chammy, which surely coudn't take any more time than wiping this product on/off.

I'm just trying to understand the logic on this. I guess mainly it's because I have always thought wiping anything into or on a dirty surface resulted in an 'abrasive' situation, vs loosing it with soap and flushing it away .....
Old 11-17-2004, 06:30 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

Actually it's very useful product. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any locally here for some time. I think the product I used was made by TurtleWax. It's great when you are going somewhere and don't know if there will be a carwash or water available for quick clean up. The TurtleWax product came in a spray bottle and you simply sprayed it on and wiped it off with a soft cloth. Quick and simple. I first used it on a road trip some years ago and found it worked very well for removing the road grime at the end of each day. It did an excellent job, looked great, and didn't hurt the paint. Of course when soap and water are available I use them. This paint is now over 30 years old!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

My car needs a paint job so I dont worry about drying it but I have a fairly new truck thats black so I do go out of my way taking care of the paint on it.This is what I do.First off you need 100% cotton diapers.If the surface is dusty I go over it with the duster thing and then ill gently wipe an area with the diaper,change to a fresh diaper and then spray on a detailer on the diaper and wipe the area,grab another diaper and wipe the area off.I only hand wash the truck once a year.Now if its too dirty to wipe down ill go over to the car wash and blast it twice with the wand and dry it with the diapers.It works for me.Anyone looking to get some cotton diapers,make sure the diaper isnt sewn together with synthetic thread,this will scratch the paint.Ive been taking car of the surface of this truck like this for 4 years now and the paint still looks new.The fact that it stays in the garage,never sees rain and only has 19,000 miles ddoesnt hurt.Ive got this stuff I get at the auto paint store called ULTIMATE DETAILER that works better than some ive tried.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 65nassau
Forgive me, but I must ask why anyone would use waterless car wash?
What is supposed to be the 'advantage'?

Is this something you wipe on, then wipe off, like a wax? And if so, why not just use water, then chammy, which surely coudn't take any more time than wiping this product on/off.

I'm just trying to understand the logic on this. I guess mainly it's because I have always thought wiping anything into or on a dirty surface resulted in an 'abrasive' situation, vs loosing it with soap and flushing it away .....
When I do the above it takes less than 40 minutes.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:33 PM
Blkblt
Drifting

Originally Posted by JL66REDCPE
I also use Dri Wash and Guard. Have been since day one which is also 8 years. Even use it on the windows.

I have used it since getting my '66. I haven't used water on the body for some time...other than getting caught in the rain...

You can buy it online from their website.... www.enviro-tech.com or, if that doesn't work, run a Google search.

Jeff; Charter CCC
1966. Modified L72
The Silver Beast
Old 11-19-2004, 03:51 PM
65nassau
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I see...thanks for the info.

Seems like it's more or less of a 'convenience product' with no 'detrimental effects of water' being a concern.

I can see using it for car shows etc. Sounds kinda like the spray waxes / quick waxes on the market.

Very interesting.....

Get notified of new replies

To waterless car wash

Quick Reply: waterless car wash