C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Body mount cushions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:02 PM
skids
Drifting

Received 153 Likes on 110 Posts

Default Body mount cushions

Can the body mount cushions be replaced with body on car? 64 coupe, and if so, how?
Old 11-19-2004, 08:29 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

It is possible but it ain't easy. (perhaps some other folks will spank me for this) but I had to make some adjustments (shims) after my body was on. I used a floor jack to carfully raise the body one section at a time after loosening all of the mounts - I used a 2X4 and some foam to cushion the body - I placed the 2X4 under the floor "boards" and very slowly and carefully raised the body just enough to squeeze the shims in. I would guess that if you wanted to do the cushions too you would actually remove the body mount bolts one at a time.

I would guess this is kind of dangerous in terms of the possibility of the body cracking - but it did work.

Hopefully someone else will have a better way....
Old 11-19-2004, 09:00 PM
65air_coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 181 Posts

I just did mine, really it was no problem. But I had much of what needs to be disconnected already off. Lifting the body a couple of inches and sliding the old ones out and new ones in was simple. Just keep track of the shims.

I don't remember the complete list, but things to remove/diisconnect include: bumpers, radiator support to frame, steering flex joint, fuel line from frame to pump, brake line at M/C, seat belt safety straps (or whatever they're called), clutch rod (or maybe not?) and possibly a few others.

Jack the body underneath the doors using a long piece of 2x4 to distribute the load. You only need to go maybe 2 inches at most, possibly can do it by going less and not disconnect fuel and brake lines. Just take your time and do it carefully.

Get notified of new replies

To Body mount cushions

Quick Reply: Body mount cushions