C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

heater switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:09 PM
ptuner1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater switch problem

I put a heater in my 60 driver. I got a rebuilt fan and core. i installed a used fan/defrost switch (very hard to find). There are 2 connectors on the back of the switch. I assume one is hot and the the other is to the fan. Only when i turn it on high does the fan work and not very fast at that. Low setting does nothing. I noticed some kind of resistor on the switch. Is this resistance used for the low fan setting? would the problem (no low fan) be there? What voltage/resistence numbers should i be getting across the switch? thanks for the help. great forum!
Old 12-13-2004, 09:59 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The resistor is what controls the low speed. It's been a long time since I rebuilt one of those switches and I don't remember the resistor value. I want to say 30 or 50 watt, but I'm really not sure. Try jumping around the switch and see if the motor runs faster. I don't think the switch can be wired backwards.

Quick Reply: heater switch problem