C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Value of '57 vin tag/title?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:45 PM
68435roadster

Default Value of '57 vin tag/title?

What would an original '57 vin tag with the correct-non salvage title be worth?

Old 01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know the answer to your question. But I'd be interested in the answer. I've got one too. Took it off a wreck in a junkyard in the early 70s. Was told, and I believe for other reasons, that he car had been there since 1958. No title, though. The title law in my state came into effect long afte this car was wrecked.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:19 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A vin tag and title only appears to have one use, with two different outcomes.

The one use... Create a new car. Now IF...IF...IF this is in some honest persons hands who would buy parts and put a car together I guess that would be ok. But more likley someone would want it to make someone elses car look new/different. I see almost no redeaming value in such hardware. Frame it and put it on your wall if you want.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:38 PM
68435roadster

I was thinking that if someone had a salvage title '57 vette, or an un titled "brought from the grave" project, that a real title and vin tag might have a legimate use? I would think that a non salvage or non re issued title would make the car easier to sell at a much better price. I don't know the legality of this, or if the legal issues vary from state to state?

Old 01-12-2005, 04:42 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

people buy them for mid year cars all the time. the two are worth a grand or so. thats all you need to start a car. what are the last 6 numbers? i might be a player for the tag and title.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:45 PM
stillthere
Melting Slicks

i will pay $500 for it. so its now worth that.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:47 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

I sold one at Carlisle a few years ago for $2500 on a Thursday. I had people asking about it all weekend. I honestly believe I could have gotten $5000 if he had waited. I was shocked I had so much interest.

Federal offense ? There are midyear titles and tags all over the place at Carlisle and Bloomington etc. I can't believe that nobody has ever been turned in. I was advised (maybe incorrectly) that it was legal as long as it was a real and legit vin tag and wasn't used for an illegal purpose. The person who bought it and affixed it to a stolen car however was in trouble. I have another title I was going to sell so if anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it.

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 01-12-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

I'd be careful here. I smell Federal Offense.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:41 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Big Time Federal Offense!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Wouldn't touch it with this: >=-------10 foot------=<POLE!
Cruz
Old 01-12-2005, 11:51 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Bob,
I agree with you on the value. I think that $2500 is pretty much the bottom of the market for a clean title and a VIN tag. I would think that a 57 would bring pretty close to $4K almost any day of the week.
The increase in value to car that had a state issued VIN or similar title issue, would be well in excess of that. I would have no problem with using such a title and tag to bring an otherwise non-restorable car back to life, and neither would many, many people. It is particularly valuable on pre-60 cars, since they did not have VIN derivative stamped in the block.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-13-2005, 05:14 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It is worth $2000.00 and up. There are alot of cars and projects around that have no vin tags. Would be great for someone using a new 57 Corvette body.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:54 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

in this market (old vette) where such a premium is placed on correct (as in origianl) trim and vin tags, traffic-ing in same is a hobby offense, in my book.

and selling VINs and titles is likely an offense of a more serious nature in many states. The fact that many folks do it makes no difference - many folks cheat and lie on their tax returns too. I simply do not go there, and if I did, I would take no comfort in the "lots of guys do it" defense . . . . there are better ways to make $2500 that do not involve the uncertain wondering of what the buyer of your title and tag has gone and done with it, and how it might haunt you legally later on . . .
Old 01-13-2005, 10:04 AM
68435roadster

Wow, the guesstimated values have gone from 500 to 5000 in one day of responces! I have a sister in law that is the finance officer for a large dealership and I'm going to ask her about the legal issues. Will report when/if I get good info.

Old 01-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Dave62
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is done often in the Antique Aircraft Industry....all you need is a Data Plate....similar to VIN TAG...only for an airplane and a bill of sale and you can convert what you have to that aircraft or rebuild/restore/create new and attach the Data Plate. Completely legal as far as I know.
Dave62
Old 01-13-2005, 03:13 PM
AL CURTIS
Instructor

What Good Is A Vin Tag And Title If The Numbers Do Not Match The Frame ? Even The Frames That You Could Buy From G.m In 1957 Had Numbers .so If Counterfeit A Car And The New Owner Has It Restored Body Off Even Years Later They Will Come After You.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:47 PM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just think this falls under the same catagory as the bikers you see at Carlisle selling full sets of wheels.......

Just imagine if your car was stolen and you found it only to have some numb nuts say but it's not your car SEE...

Get notified of new replies

To Value of '57 vin tag/title?

Old 01-13-2005, 04:19 PM
65RDSTR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a Vin tag and trim plate for a 67 last week on Ebay. I wa curious what it would go for so I put it in favorites. It went from $200. to $500. on the first day and was taken off ebay the second day. It wasnt taken off by the seller because you couldnt find that auction in ended auctions either.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:38 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Al,
That assumes that all cars still have the original frame under them as well! There are a large amount of C1 cars that have had a frame change, and even more C2 cars that have had one, due to the poor design of the kick-ups. It amazes me that people will view a car that is nothing but a cowl with a intact VIN tag as original when almost every body panel and the frame has been replaced, but will call a car that has had only a VIN tag added to it to clear a state issued or missing tag, as something less than a real Corvette! We are talking about restoring Corvettes and not laundering Stolen cars. I can find no fault with anyone returning a Corvette to life by using parts from any old one that is beyond hope. This applies to frames, bodies mechanical components or VIN and Trim Tags. The federal laws that apply, are strictly intended to prevent stolen cars from being laundered, and not to prevent replacement of lost VIN tags. You can have a VIN tag replaced under Federal law. I feel that any C1 Corvette that can be returned to the road is a good thing as long as theft is not involved.
I would guess that you would feel different is you car was stolen, and recovered minus the VIN tag. Sure, you can apply for a state-issuied VIN tag, but that will decrease the value of your car by at least $10K!
If people do not think this is right, then that is thier right to think so, but there are many of us restorers out there that will keep putting these cars together from bits and pieces and putting them back on the road!
Regards, John McGraw
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 65RDSTR
I saw a Vin tag and trim plate for a 67 last week on Ebay. I wa curious what it would go for so I put it in favorites. It went from $200. to $500. on the first day and was taken off ebay the second day. It wasnt taken off by the seller because you couldnt find that auction in ended auctions either.
that happed to a 66 SS Chevelle vin tag, trim tag, and a clean title. so I think ebay does not like people to sell vins.

Quick Reply: Value of '57 vin tag/title?