Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

Corvette Brotherhood Lending "Library" Seat Recovering Tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Corvette Brotherhood Lending "Library" Seat Recovering Tools

Hey Guys

No sense in buying some tools you might only use once right? Here are some things I bought, and some things that were donated to the Corvette Brotherhood Lending Library.

Seat Cover Installation Tool (Hook things that pulls the clips through the foam)

High Speed Hog Ring Plyers

Hog Rings, Extra Seat Parts, pulled off of my car or stuff I didn't use -bolts, washers, clips, seat track springs, seat plastic "bumbers" etc

Al Knoch seat installation DVD -
To be honest, I bought a used copy of the DVD, and it doesn't play that well, but if you manipulate it a bit, you can get what you need.

AL Knoch Convertible Top DVD
I am using this now, but when done, I will include that with any extra Convertible tip parts I didn't use/don't need.

I have a Pop Rivet tool plus the Big Black pop rivets for the dash pads (black)

The only catch is, you gotta pay postage, and send the stuff back (or on to the next user) when you are done, and post any tips/tricks/pitfalls you discovered during the process.

Lastly, if you wanna take part, make sure you are ready to use the items. I know life gets in the way, but lets say, return em in 1 month so you don't hold up the next guy.

If nobody needs em when you are done, just return em to me so that we can keep track of the stuff.

If you have anything you want to donate to the Lending Library, send me a PM!

Last edited by Revfan; 01-31-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:22 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

In the spirit of the game... here are some of my tips.

Pulling the seat wire clips through the foam is a bit tricky for the novice. I often pulled too hard and "opened up the clip". Also, take care not to bring some of the burlap through the foam. I would accidentally catch the burlap with the hook of the tool, and bring it through with the clip. That caused me to "pull harder" resulting in broken clips (and a lot of frustration).
Old 05-13-2014, 09:00 AM
oldgold49er
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default great idea

Very thoughtful of you. not currently working on seats, but can see where this could make things easier. Tools and tech. Great forum.
Speaking of helping out each other, why not have(is there) a published list of Corvette folks, where they are located, and a small description of what is offered for travelers. The information could include such things as tools/lift/accommodations/tech help etc. As a past member of the BMWMOA, whom have such a "list" ,the guide provides this kind of information and at the same time allows the chance to meet other BMW folks that we might otherwise not know about. All information was strictly voluntary. Could work for Corvette. Perhaps there is such a "list" and I am not aware. Just a thought.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Bump

Seat recovery time?
Old 08-10-2014, 09:28 AM
usrcsch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Your offer is very generous and timely. I just ordered new seat covers for my '82 and plan to have a "father / son" event replacing the covers on the "boys' toy". If the offer is still open, I'd love to take you up on it. Happy to pay for shipping both from you and either back to you or the next user.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Send me a PM with your details
Old 08-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 428 Likes on 318 Posts

Nice idea to offer someone these tools on loan.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:45 PM
RestoMike
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

So brother.............let us see your work. I'm chomp'n to do my own when that time comes.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 PM
esjbh2
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Another tip. Let the covers sit in the sun to make them softer and more pliable, i.e. easier to stretch over the frames/foam.

Nice offer. Props to you Revfan.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Super nice offer, I'll take you up on it next month.

Ray in Oklahoma City
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Here are mine...

Another tip
Al Knocks seats came with all the clips and wires pre-installed. All I really needed was hog rings. I didn't know this, so I bought an 67 installation kit from a vendor. I ended up needing some "extra" clips because I man handled em too much and broke em... but I could have saved a few bucks If I had known Al's was a complete set of covers.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:01 PM
usrcsch
Cruising

Nice job on the seats. The interior looks excellent!

Originally Posted by Revfan
Here are mine...

Another tip
Al Knocks seats came with all the clips and wires pre-installed. All I really needed was hog rings. I didn't know this, so I bought an 67 installation kit from a vendor. I ended up needing some "extra" clips because I man handled em too much and broke em... but I could have saved a few bucks If I had known Al's was a complete set of covers.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

I'm happy to loan my tools out as well. PM me and I'll set you up. No charge for hard-earned advice, either.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:06 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Awesome!

Now, if we can get somebody with the Soft Top installation video to join....
Old 08-14-2014, 08:52 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Tools and stuff have been shipped... check your PM for tracking number!
Old 08-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Robert Lewis
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revfan
Awesome!

Now, if we can get somebody with the Soft Top installation video to join....
That's on the list for me, too.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM
usrcsch
Cruising

Well the project is nearly complete. The tools worked great so thanks again Revan! I installed leatherlike skins over foam that was a couple years old (3-4 I'm guessing). The installation videos that Corvette America has on their home page are great guides for the process - just wish the job was as easy as the guy on the video made it look!

All in all, a nice improvement over the covers I had in the car. I still need to work on massaging a few wrinkles away (in the video they used a steam cleaner...I don't have one, but plan to carefully use a hair dryer).

The tools are available for the next CF member who wishes to tackle this "fun" job. Patience and a second pair of hands are a must, but the job is definitely something that can be done. Good luck and thanks again to Revfan!

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Brotherhood Lending "Library" Seat Recovering Tools

Old 09-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Oaker57
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by usrcsch
Well the project is nearly complete. The tools worked great so thanks again Revan! I installed leatherlike skins over foam that was a couple years old (3-4 I'm guessing). The installation videos that Corvette America has on their home page are great guides for the process - just wish the job was as easy as the guy on the video made it look!

All in all, a nice improvement over the covers I had in the car. I still need to work on massaging a few wrinkles away (in the video they used a steam cleaner...I don't have one, but plan to carefully use a hair dryer).

The tools are available for the next CF member who wishes to tackle this "fun" job. Patience and a second pair of hands are a must, but the job is definitely something that can be done. Good luck and thanks again to Revfan!
What a great and generous offer.....I would like to get on the list to borrow the tools......I just bought a complete seat cover set and foam from Al knoch at Carlisle....

I had planned to do them over the winter, so if anyone can use them now, I can wait a bit, but would like to have them around November if that works......

I also would like to offer an extra seat cover installation "how to" video if anyone can use it....it is for 63-64 seats, but its pretty common to all midyear type stuff....please just PM if you would like to have, borrow, or use it, and pass it forward

I love this forum.....

Regards,
Mark
Old 09-09-2014, 01:31 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

This is awesome!

Also being added to the library is a soft top installation video! I'll let you guys know when its available!

Cheers!
Old 12-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

The tools are available again... who needs em next?

Quick Reply: Corvette Brotherhood Lending "Library" Seat Recovering Tools