Notices
C1 & C2 Parts C1 & C2 Corvette Performance Parts, Rare NOS and NLA Chevy Parts, Wheels & Tires, Exterior Enhancements, Aftermarket

Need carpet for my 65 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 04:22 AM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Need carpet for my 65 coupe

I need to order but I'm not sure what I need. Do I need more than just the carpet set that has foil/pad,do you have to put under lament in also? The $300 set,is that all that's needed? Want to order ASAP.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:00 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

I'll try a reword my question. One of the vendors has a carpet set for $260 with no pad,but then offers 2 choices,one is pad and sound deadening for $122, the other choice is pad with foil backing for $75. If I bought either one of those,do you still need to go with the under layment for another $300?
Old 05-08-2015, 11:55 AM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default '65 Coupe Re-carpet

Recently did mine and here's how it went.

The '65 carpet did not come with a backing originally. It was laid over a separate pad which was "horsehair" backed with thick black paper (horsehair side glued to floor).

The best underlayment set that I've found is from Long Island Corvette Supply. Expensive but a quality item. The underlayment that ACC offers (or did offer) did not fit the coupe rear bulkhead. Stopped halfway up, like it was cut for a convertible. And the backing was more of a tarpaper --messy.

The ACC carpet set that I got from Corvette America was a good fit, except for the blower cover panel. That needed some work to get a precise fit. I happen to have a Jiffy Steamer, which helped loosen up the material. Borrow one if you can.

For a heat shield, I first glued down (to the bare floor) a product from Home Depot. 1/8" dense foam with foil on both sides. Thin enough that it didn't affect the fit of underlayment & carpet.

Came out looking good and I would do it the same next time.

Good luck with your project. Remember to not trim around the console area until you have the seats in. VERY easy to overtrim there.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Crabr1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Recently did mine and here's how it went.

The '65 carpet did not come with a backing originally. It was laid over a separate pad which was "horsehair" backed with thick black paper (horsehair side glued to floor).

The best underlayment set that I've found is from Long Island Corvette Supply. Expensive but a quality item. The underlayment that ACC offers (or did offer) did not fit the coupe rear bulkhead. Stopped halfway up, like it was cut for a convertible. And the backing was more of a tarpaper --messy.

The ACC carpet set that I got from Corvette America was a good fit, except for the blower cover panel. That needed some work to get a precise fit. I happen to have a Jiffy Steamer, which helped loosen up the material. Borrow one if you can.

For a heat shield, I first glued down (to the bare floor) a product from Home Depot. 1/8" dense foam with foil on both sides. Thin enough that it didn't affect the fit of underlayment & carpet.

Came out looking good and I would do it the same next time.

Good luck with your project. Remember to not trim around the console area until you have the seats in. VERY easy to overtrim there.
Thanks for the info,it sure helps me decide which way to go. The thickness of the underlayment was my concern,I put heat shield in my C5 and since it was thicker it made it hard to install the carpet,I didn't want to deal with the same issue. Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:51 AM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Second vote for carpet set from Corvette America.

I put in a new set of red carpet in my 1966 convertible last summer and it fit just fine. MUCH BETTER quality that the old Al Knoch carpet it replaced. I used an insulation/sound deadening set from Mid-America that I glued down under the carpets. Keeps the floor cooler on hot days and lowered interior noise a bit as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Need carpet for my 65 coupe

Quick Reply: Need carpet for my 65 coupe