Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Just Purchased First Corvette: Numbers Matching '64 4-spd Coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Autobot
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work with darguy and have to say that is quite the nice car. Need to figure out when he is gonna give me a ride in it. Just don't forget to , I know where you work.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:34 PM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Great buy! You did real good! Now enjoy it!!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:41 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by vetsvette2002
They were originally painted body color. If yours are chrome, someone changed them. If you like the look, keep them. If not, it might be easier to get a set at a swap meet and paint them to match your car, than to remove the chrome and paint to match.
Thanks for the info. I really like the chrome look. Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:16 AM
darguy
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After getting the tail, plate, and dash lights going (rusty fuse contact), I've been free to keep the car out late, so I've been spending the last couple of evenings after work cruising around getting used to the car.

The Special Lady Friend really digs the car as well. Life is good.

Originally Posted by tomo67

...Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like the engine is stamped with 11804, the last part of the VIN...
I've got a photo of the first half of the engine SN, which does appear to have the last half of the VIN at the end of it

Originally Posted by ctjackster
...As for the numbers, one more you might want to look at is the engine block casting date, you'll find it on the rear upper passenger side, a letter followed by two or three numbers - post that one up and we'll help out. the '870 block casting number is certainly correct.
And the engine block casting number and date (looks like A154 to me - so Jan 15, 1964?):

Thanks again for the feedback and advice. I'll be picking up a Black Book, and probably some info from the NCRS.

I've started the cleaning, and fixing up a few loose ends in the interior in preparation for this Sunday's show & shine. Hope the weather holds...
Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

new corvette coupe cost for 1964,without options,$4,252.00.
That radio cost another $176.50.
Does that have power windows? (kinda looks like it)Cant tell from the pic. $59.20 was the option price and only 3,706 were ordered with that option.
22,229- 1964 corvettes were made, of which 8,304 were coupes.
I see no listing for the "Teak" steering wheel option for 1964.
3909 cars ermine white
19,034 cars were 4 speeds in 1964.option cost was $188.30
To sum it up, a 1964,ermine white,coupe,4 speed,AM/FM, with power windows, just might be "semi" rare. No more than3,706 could have been made. How many of the verts with power windows were made or coupes, of other colors, with power windows?
7 exterior colors were offered in 1964. If each color made had the same number of power window option ( which they didnt),529 would have been white, coupes and verts combined. For every 2 coupes made,they made 3 verts.(roughly).,My math and reasoning may be wrong,but does this mean that somewhere around 178 were built?

Last edited by ghoastrider1; 08-16-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:15 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

car appears to have a simulated wood grain (plastic) wheel, as they all did in 64, so no "correctness" issues there.

A block casting date of A154 (Jan 15 64) lines up nicely with the engine assembly date of Jan 30 (per the pad).

Glad to hear yo are enjoying the car and driving it! [Note, these old cars have a built in device that knows JUST when you are at the farthest point away from home in your trip, whereupon they trigger some sort of disabling problem, often hard to diagnose on the road. Bring your cell phone with you ]
Old 08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck and tons of FUN !
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
darguy
Drifting

A block casting date of A154 (Jan 15 64) lines up nicely with the engine assembly date of Jan 30 (per the pad).
So, the engine assembly date gets stamped on the pad with the RD suffix for the 300/4-spd HP/tranny combo when it's built. That makes sense. How does the F0I(or is it a 1?)30 break down: 01/30 being Jan 30, is the F for an assembly plant?

Glad to hear yo are enjoying the car and driving it! [Note, these old cars have a built in device that knows JUST when you are at the farthest point away from home in your trip, whereupon they trigger some sort of disabling problem, often hard to diagnose on the road. Bring your cell phone with you ]
Always do, thanks for the heads-up on the hidden device...

I guess I'll start digging into the other numbers, not sure which other components will have them (distributor, alternator, intake/exhaust manifolds, tranny, diff, etc...).

Old 08-16-2007, 03:12 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
new corvette coupe cost for 1964,without options,$4,252.00.
That radio cost another $176.50.
Does that have power windows? (kinda looks like it)Cant tell from the pic. $59.20 was the option price and only 3,706 were ordered with that option.
22,229- 1964 corvettes were made, of which 8,304 were coupes.
I see no listing for the "Teak" steering wheel option for 1964.
3909 cars ermine white
19,034 cars were 4 speeds in 1964.option cost was $188.30
To sum it up, a 1964,ermine white,coupe,4 speed,AM/FM, with power windows, just might be "semi" rare. No more than3,706 could have been made. How many of the verts with power windows were made or coupes, of other colors, with power windows?
7 exterior colors were offered in 1964. If each color made had the same number of power window option ( which they didnt),529 would have been white, coupes and verts combined. For every 2 coupes made,they made 3 verts.(roughly).,My math and reasoning may be wrong,but does this mean that somewhere around 178 were built?
It does have power windows, also tinted glass. I think it has a posi based on the slight tire noise I've heard, but I haven't checked that yet. If there is no definitive source on exact combos of options, I was thinking of working out the probability of that particular combo kinda like you were...

If I remember my 2nd year Probability and Statistics correctly, you could figure out the probability of a particular combination and estimate the total numbers that way. You'd figure out the ratios for each option for the total number of cars built that year for the options it does have: [3909/22229 for Ermine White, 19034/22229 for 4-speed, etc], and the ratios for the options it doesn't have: [((22229-# of A/C cars)/22229) for example], then multiply the ratios together to get the probability for that specific combo - and then multiply it by the total number of cars produced to get an estimated number with that exact combo. Of course, it would just be an estimate, with the rarest option being the extreme upper limit, but it would be a pretty good indicator.

Or am I baked?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 PM
darguy
Drifting

Default First Corvette Show

And so, after prowling the streets on the evenings of the first week with the car, and after spending a Saturday afternoon working on the interior, I took it to it's first Corvette show:

It was a little rainy in the morning, but as the day warmed up the crowd thickend (cars and people). and there was a nice selection of cars from a '58 to a '07 Z06. The people were super-nice, and seemed to get a kick out of the fact that I'd had it less than a week before finding my way to a show. Got some good pointers, had some good conversations, and am looking forward to the next event.

Old 08-20-2007, 09:15 PM
a560156
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
If you are an NCRS type guy, as you mention matching numbers, you might want to go for that survivor status certificate.
Bloomington Gold=Survivor Trademark
Old 08-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Tim Gilmore
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

You've picked up a great little car at a fair price. You'll enjoy driving it and getting attention in traffic. I've owned lots of Corvettes and the most fun ones are the ones you're able to drive with little trouble. My driver is a '65 version of your car and I love it.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:43 PM
tomo67
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car and driving it! [Note, these old cars have a built in device that knows JUST when you are at the farthest point away from home in your trip, whereupon they trigger some sort of disabling problem, often hard to diagnose on the road. Bring your cell phone with you ]
And have AAA's number in the speed dial. Been there!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
Thanks for the feedback, info, and advice! I was experiencing post-purchase shock last night and didn't sleep super great. I felt like it was a good deal, and that I'd be able to sell it reasonably easily later on for a decent price when the time comes, it's good to get other opinions though.

I'll give it a good shake down after I get it on Monday, and I'll take it to the local Corvette show & shine next Sunday to meet the gang...

I'll see what paperwork I can get from the current owner for documentation, I'll look into the 'survivor' status and see whats involved and go from there. I figured it was built Jan/Feb based on the serial number info I found on-line, I'd be interested in decoding the plates and numbers further if anyone can point me in the right direction - or where to look for a build sheet (it has the correct 3782870 casting on the block to go with the 300HP 4-spd sn, I didn't get a picture of that yesterday).

Anyone know how to figure out production numbers by option? I saw that there were 8,304 base coupes built out of 22,229 total for '64 - is there a way to know how many coupes were 4-spds, white/black, etc?

And so it begins...
Congrats, I also have a white 64 coupe except mine has a tan interior. Would you check something for me? On the emblem on your gas tank lid, is the flag on the left red or black? Mine is original, Oct 13, 63 build, and the left side flag is black and I know one one other early Oct build 64 that has the original emblem with the black flag instead of being red. From the photo of the rear of your car, it appears to be black, but that might just be the angle the photo. Thanks.

Some production figures for the 64's.

BUILT 22,229
Coupe 8304
Blk int 7269
PW 3706
300HP 10,471
4speed 19034
AM/FM 20,934

No way of telling how many of each cars were built with the different mix of options.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:24 PM
avideo
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Congradualtions!

That's a really great car you've got at a very fair price. Enjoy and don't try to wipe that smile off your face!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:57 AM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Congrats, I also have a white 64 coupe except mine has a tan interior. Would you check something for me? On the emblem on your gas tank lid, is the flag on the left red or black? Mine is original, Oct 13, 63 build, and the left side flag is black and I know one one other early Oct build 64 that has the original emblem with the black flag instead of being red. From the photo of the rear of your car, it appears to be black, but that might just be the angle the photo. Thanks.

Some production figures for the 64's.

BUILT 22,229
Coupe 8304
Blk int 7269
PW 3706
300HP 10,471
4speed 19034
AM/FM 20,934

No way of telling how many of each cars were built with the different mix of options.
The emblem on my gas tank lid does indeed have a black flag on the left (build date Feb 21, 64). The one on Eckler's for the '64 is red, as are the ones listed for the 63 and 65. Strange, eh?

I've spent the last three nights giving the car a thorough once-over, and it seems to have liked it.

Last edited by darguy; 08-23-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:51 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
The emblem on my gas tank lid does indeed have a black flag on the left (build date Feb 21, 64). The one on Eckler's for the '64 is red, as are the ones listed for the 63 and 65. Strange, eh?

I've spent the last thee nights giving the car a thorough once-over, and it seems to have liked it.

Thanks. It's difficult to find these old cars in original condition to try and date items that are not the norm. As I said, yours is the third car with the original emblem that I've found with the black flag. Since yours is a Feb,64 build, it might be that quite a few had the black flag. As you noted, the repro's have the red flag. It appears that there was a mistake, either on GM's drawing for the part or with the supplier, that caused the first '64 emblems to be made with the black flag. Almost all of the '64's I've looked at with original emblems have the red flag. I don't have a NCRS judging manual to see if they make note of the two different emblems.
If you don't mind checking another item for me. On the hood support, does yours have the hole in both telescoping pieces for a 1/4" bolt to go thru to look the hood in the upright position, or is the hole just in one of the pieces? Hope I made myself clear as to what info I'm looking for.
Like yours, my 64 has the original paint except for where I've touched it up. My original miles is ~63,000.
Thanks,
Joe.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Purchased First Corvette: Numbers Matching '64 4-spd Coupe.

Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JoesC5
...If you don't mind checking another item for me. On the hood support, does yours have the hole in both telescoping pieces for a 1/4" bolt to go thru to look the hood in the upright position, or is the hole just in one of the pieces? Hope I made myself clear as to what info I'm looking for.
Like yours, my 64 has the original paint except for where I've touched it up. My original miles is ~63,000.
Thanks,
Joe.
With the hood upright there are holes in both pieces, where the 1/4" bolt can go through.

I'm wondering how much of the paint may have been done on mine. There are a few indicators that it's been repainted (slightly different shade of white in the door jams, and some chips in the paint reveal white underneath) - although it must have been done a very long time ago. Mine reads ~65,000 miles.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:47 PM
darguy
Drifting

Originally Posted by tomo67
And have AAA's number in the speed dial. Been there!
Dodged that one so far... The first week of driving the car, I had to get a couple of jump starts, and now after having gone over the car pretty well, I've still got a couple of minor issues - although it sure responds well when you get underneath it for a couple hours at a time (I don't think it's been touched like that for some time ).

The alternator was only putting out 26 A, rated 37 according to the stamp, so that would make it a approximately one diode off. Which in conjunction with the 1.9 A draw on the battery (making a guy need to get a jump start at the end of a work day) that goes away when you disconnect the 2-wire connector at the alternator (or regulator downstream in the circuit, but after replacing it the the problem persists) makes a guy rebuild his alternator.

So, the numbers on the alternator are:

1100668-37A
4B6 - 2 - N G

as far as I can tell. The question is, is it original, or has it been swapped out already? I've got my Black Book on order, so hopefully I can answer some of these questions on my own soon.

The other thing is that I need to get it on an exhaust analyser to set up the carb for emissions testing...

Other than that, .

Old 08-24-2007, 11:13 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I believe it is original, 4B6=1964, Feb. 6.

Quick Reply: Just Purchased First Corvette: Numbers Matching '64 4-spd Coupe.