Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

Restomod 65 coupe

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM
steersdad
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Restomod 65 coupe

For those of you who followed my postings regarding the installation of the PowerJection III EFI system on my car; I have been confronted with a business situation that will require me to buy a new building. As much as I love this car, it represents a significant chunk of the cost of a new building, so I'm afraid she has to go.

I've prepared as accurate a description as I can, and a list of what still remains. It is about 2-3 weekends work. The restoration is 98% completed.

Any questions, please email. Photos show the work in process, and its current condition. Pretty obvious which is which. The VIN and Trim tag are in the car, but I will NOT email or post photos. Too many horror stories. The car is exactly as I describe.

This is a 1965 Corvette Coupe all numbers matching. 327 300 HP, 4 speed.

I had been restoring the car to its complete, original condition, but changed my mind this past summer. I embarked upon a realistic “restomod” approach. The Intake, exhaust, ignition, charging system, and braking system have been upgraded to contemporary standards, meaning:

The car now has PowerJection III EFI, with a microprocessor controlled, pulse width modulated returnless fuel system (as in contemporary cars), with a wideband O2 sensor. I had some difficulty originally with the installation, but those issues have been resolved. I chose the Powerjection III because of the use of a wideband O2 sensor, and because of its appearance. It looks, largely, like a Holley carb. At first glance, your initial impression is that the car is a stock 327/365.

The original distributor has been updated with an electronic conversion, and a MSD 6A.

The original single circuit brakes have been updated with a dual circuit, power (a-la ’67) booster.

The original charging system has been updated with a 1-wire, self regulating GM alternator (looks stock)

The exhaust has been replaced with Hooker ceramic coated headers, and 2 ½” under car chambered exhaust. It sounds inspiring.

The car has 79,000 original miles. Not registered or driven (much) for 11 years.

It had damage to the right rear quarter from a broken right trailing arm as you can see in the pics . I’ve had the press molded quarter replaced to all the original bonding strips. There were some other minor repairs here and there.

The car was stripped and brought back to its original color Nassau Blue. Polyester high fill primer, base coat and clear coat used.

The car was totally disassembled and everything was blasted or stripped to bare metal and painted using an NCRS Judging manual as a guide. When the chassis and suspension was put back together all new correct hardware was used. The frame had absolutely no rust. I was able to track the car back to the 2nd owner who stated the car had about 70K miles on it when he sold it. I bought it from the 3rd owner who used it for a while and put it away so the 79K it shows now is believed to be original mileage. The person I bought it from stated he had the motor freshened because it smoked a little from valve seal. It did run and drive when I got it and it ran and shifted great.

Vin and trim tag are in the car.
Numbers matching 327/300hp with correct VIN# stamping
4 speed Transmission with correct VIN #stamping
Rear and frame also have the VIN # Stamp
Original Harrison Radiator and overflow tank
New KYB Shocks
New Fuel Tank and lines.
New Clutch Setup
New Brake lines and Calipers have been rebuilt.
New dual circuit master and power brake booster, Original is saved..
Original Water pump need bearings not on the motor now
New 1 wire alternator setup. Original saved, harness is uncut.
Correct Carburetor, wrong date code, saved.
Original dual snorkel Air cleaner, saved.
Original distributor in car, with electronic conversion.
New Under chassis chambered exhaust with Hooker ceramic coated headers. Original exhaust manifolds saved.

New basecoat-clearcoat Nassau Blue.

This car is well on its way to being a perfect. Every part on this car is numbered correctly and is 98% completed.

All the drivetrain, suspension, and frame are done and came out great.

The Trans did leak a little so I had all the gaskets and seals replaced and inspected during that process its perfect.

Seats are good. Passenger seat has small discontinuity in one seam.
New carpets. 1 new, 1 NOS Door panels. Headliner looks great, but not 100% sure I have all of the plastic pieces.

All bumpers, brackets, grilles, chrome work, are there, and OK.

Rear lamps have two reverse lights, but are not wired to reverse light switch on transmission.

Brand new set of 5 Radial TA’s mounted on Western Knock off wheels (knock offs of the Vette knock offs). 15 x 7.

Car is in CT. CT is a non title state for old cars. If you cannot buy a car and register it with a notarized bill of sale, you should not spend too much time on this car.

I rebuilt this car to be driven and enjoyed. NOT to be stored, fondled, and polished. If you are interested in originality, you certainly have that option, as I have stored all of the original pieces. There is nothing done to the car that cannot be quickly or easily reversed. However, please understand that it is not a museum piece. It is a completely restored, 100% matching numbers coupe built by an engineer who planned on driving the car.

Car is located in my garage, 100 miles north of New York City. Your personal inspection is welcome. The price is $37,500.00, and firm; OR I will trade the car for industrial property in NW Connecticut.

Corvette To-Do List

1. Re-install rear window and stainless trim (NOS, new in box)
2. Re-install interior rear window trim
3. Re install front windshield and original trim (trim clips en-route)
4. Re-install front windshield trim
5. Re install door glass & door felts (need replacements)
6. Re-install new door panels (need ONE window crank)
7. Re-install battery hold down/shield (new in box)
8. Re-install O2 sensor bung gasket. (new in box)
9. Re-check, tighten all exhaust clamps & hangers
10. Re-install speedo gear (new in box)
11. Re-install front headlamps
12. Re-install door mirror (need base)
13. Re-dress ignition wiring
14. Check & verify all lights
15. Re-install wiper arms (1 not correct)
16. Vent gas cap (IAW EFI installation instructions)
17. Check & secure all EFI plumbing
18. Check & secure all EFI wiring
19. Check & secure all nuts/bolts stem to stern.
20. Re-align hood.
21. Re-install fenderwell splash guards (need replacements)
22. Re-install engine compartment seals (need replacements)
23. Re-align front & rear (digital camber/caster gauge in route)
24. Re-install door weatherstrip (new in box)
25. Install 3 point belts (Need to purchase)
26. Shake down cruise, recheck all hardware/fasteners
27. Install power antenna (missing)
28. Rear lamps have two reverse lights, but are not wired to reverse light switch on transmission.
29. Wet sand and polish clear coat.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:34 PM
rss454
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worth looking at

Hey, all u guys that r looking for a mid year a reasonable price and don't care if it is matching numbers car, this looks well priced. I don't see how u could buy a "barn find" and not be into it for more than this is when it's finished.
Hurry, all the seller's will be drinking Barrett Jackson cool aid this week, I am watching now and cringe everytime a vette crosses.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:16 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by rss454
Hey, all u guys that r looking for a mid year a reasonable price and don't care if it is matching numbers car, this looks well priced. I don't see how u could buy a "barn find" and not be into it for more than this is when it's finished.
Hurry, all the seller's will be drinking Barrett Jackson cool aid this week, I am watching now and cringe everytime a vette crosses.

No chance you could replicate the work done and be in for anywhere near the cost. Good luck with the sale...wish I had some industrial property for sale.

Roy
Old 01-21-2011, 07:34 PM
steersdad
Pro

Default More photos

Lots of folks have asked for more photos. I'll add a few each day to the picasaweb photo album.

Please excuse the poor photography. Old, and blind. Probably have to cut and paste it into your browser address line.

Doug

Last edited by steersdad; 01-21-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Default ttt

Wish you had this last year up for sell. Good price for what you are getting here.. BUMP for you anyway...
Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 PM
steersdad
Pro

Default Matching numbers

Originally Posted by rss454
Minor error here. The car is 100% numbers matching. All original parts are stored, and can easily be put back on the car by its new owner.

Get notified of new replies

To Restomod 65 coupe

Quick Reply: Restomod 65 coupe