Notices
C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted Private Classifieds: Used Classic Corvettes For Sale, Modified or Stock Corvettes, and Restored or Original Corvettes

WTB 65 66 67 survivor my son and I can restore and show

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

from the OP, it seems like a Father/Son project that they are making into a keeper... so if they are a little underwater at the end, well then, the time they have together and the joint experience are the real payout.

If its a father/son "lets restore this car then sell it for a profit" venture, then they have to tread more carefully and heed Dan's Advice.

Last edited by Revfan; 02-01-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:20 PM
jchez7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree. Don't buy a car to make money on; that's usually a losing proposition. Sounds like you want the experience with your boy and the fun of owning the car - good for you.
The old adage,that I agree with, is to buy the best car you can afford and go from there.
As far as remote buying, the Forum has a Regional section, where you can ask if anyone's available in so & so area, or inquire in the general C1& C2 forum to see if anyone's in that area to look. Also, a NCRS chapter in the area in question may be a place to inquire about someone looking at a car
Old 02-01-2013, 07:04 PM
harleyreg
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 1965 Corvette convertible that is in need of cosmetics.

A decent body that needs paint, weather stripping, etc.
From the factory it came with red outside and red and white inside.
It is a non original motor (70 Camaro 350) with a M21 and hurst shifter
Solid frame - the car came from Tennessee
Good mechanical condition - good brakes, new radiator
Decent tires with after market alloys mags
Needs door panels-carpet-seat covers, gauges are all in good working condition
Headlights go up and down
Fair rear bumpers - no front bumpers
Front bumper brackets but no grille
A 1967 427 scoop glassed onto a stock 65 hood
Good convertible top

I am asking $29,750...If you have any interest please call me to discuss.
Reggie Martin 678-488-5461 Atlanta Georgia
Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleyreg
I have a 1965 Corvette convertible that is in need of cosmetics.

A decent body that needs paint, weather stripping, etc.
From the factory it came with red outside and red and white inside.
It is a non original motor (70 Camaro 350) with a M21 and hurst shifter
Solid frame - the car came from Tennessee
Good mechanical condition - good brakes, new radiator
Decent tires with after market alloys mags
Needs door panels-carpet-seat covers, gauges are all in good working condition
Headlights go up and down
Fair rear bumpers - no front bumpers
Front bumper brackets but no grille
A 1967 427 scoop glassed onto a stock 65 hood
Good convertible top

I am asking $29,750...If you have any interest please call me to discuss.
Reggie Martin 678-488-5461 Atlanta Georgia
That sounds like a pretty decent vette. It has many of the items I am looking for and the price is very attractive. I do think I will keep looking for a matching numbers vette. Thanks very much for sending this opportunity my way.

Dennis
Old 02-01-2013, 07:20 PM
KingD
Advanced

Great suggestion to put a request out to the C2 forum to find someone local to survey the car. What is the chance of that person going to the car and telling me it is junk and then buying it themself?

I think if I can find a legitamate appraiser, then they should be on the up and up. But they could do that as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 PM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by Revfan
from the OP, it seems like a Father/Son project that they are making into a keeper... so if they are a little underwater at the end, well then, the time they have together and the joint experience are the real payout.

If its a father/son "lets restore this car then sell it for a profit" venture, then they have to tread more carefully and heed Dan's Advice.
Not looking to sell it ever. Drive it till my knees are strong enough to shift and then give it to my son.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:44 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by KingD
Great suggestion to put a request out to the C2 forum to find someone local to survey the car. What is the chance of that person going to the car and telling me it is junk and then buying it themself?

I think if I can find a legitamate appraiser, then they should be on the up and up. But they could do that as well.
Be very, very careful that your local appraiser knows his 65-67's. If he hasn't restored or isn't an NCRS guided appraiser then he will not know these cars to the point you need him to. Can't tell you how many "appraisers" I've met that say they know midyears but when I watch them look a car over they knowvery very little about C2 Corvettes. Ask if he knows the difference between fake trim tags (since your looking for black or red).
Old 02-02-2013, 11:46 AM
jrs 427
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by LPE385
Be very, very careful that your local appraiser knows his 65-67's. If he hasn't restored or isn't an NCRS guided appraiser then he will not know these cars to the point you need him to. Can't tell you how many "appraisers" I've met that say they know midyears but when I watch them look a car over they knowvery very little about C2 Corvettes. Ask if he knows the difference between fake trim tags (since your looking for black or red).

For a mid 30s car....... why would you need for an appraiser ? To verify the trim and vin tag ? A person looking for a red or black survivor, no damage, very little knowledge of C-2s, talking about an appraiser, with a budget of mid thirties, expectations of something in the 60 plus range ........ this sounds like a soap opera that could take years to even find a candidate or a desperation sale. Buying a father - son project is a seventies quote. Todays youth are too busy on a smart phone..... not interested in grease or sand paper.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Revfan
Safety Car

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

So this horse walks into a bar....

Last edited by Revfan; 02-11-2015 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:07 PM
jchez7
Instructor

I tell you......
Old 02-02-2013, 10:04 PM
dharris45
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I looked for a while and was able to find what you are looking for. I bought a 66 350HP Coupe about 1 1/2 years ago for $35k. I had to do a lot of negotiation and the guy had three other vette and never drove the 66 coupe. Mine is numbers matching, at least engine and drive train. and in very good mechanical condition, but does need a lot of other work, paint, interior, etc. etc. to get it to the shape I would really like it, but is a very good driver condition car now.

So you can find what you want if you look. I actually found mine on Craigs List. I did periodic searches in a five state area around Virginia where I live. I ended up finding what I wanted in New Jersey. Made two trips up to look at and inspect the car on a lift to check for frame rust, removed inside windshield trim to check for birdcage rust, etc.

What you may be missing though is cost to restore one of these cars. If you do all the work yourself, then you may be able to improve the car cosmetically for another $15k - $20k. However, if you are interested in NCRS standards, then you may find yourself a little short. There are lots of 'numbers' to match to get a car do well at NCRS judging. For instance my 66 has a correct make/model carburetor for the 350HP, but it is not date correct. I have incorrect:

Water Pump
Altenator
Windshield wiper motor
Voltage regulator
Fan clutch
Tires
incorrect color interior
Clock
and probably a number of other things I don't know about yet.

A quick estimate to get just the above corrected will approach $4,000+, and that's just for starters. A set of 4 correct steel wheels for a 66 can cost $1,000+.

Don

Last edited by dharris45; 02-02-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 AM
vwtdi
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Heres a promising looking 67 coupe

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3521378860.html
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 AM
LPE385
Melting Slicks

Received 109 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jrs 427
For a mid 30s car....... why would you need for an appraiser ? To verify the trim and vin tag ? A person looking for a red or black survivor, no damage, very little knowledge of C-2s, talking about an appraiser, with a budget of mid thirties, expectations of something in the 60 plus range ........ this sounds like a soap opera that could take years to even find a candidate or a desperation sale. Buying a father - son project is a seventies quote. Todays youth are too busy on a smart phone..... not interested in grease or sand paper.
He needs an "real" appraiser or NCRS type person to let him know what kind of car he's getting for mid $30's. I agree if you look back at my previous post that type of car for mid $30's is almost impossible to find. Also more then likely his idea of a nice driver and ours are a different story. I'd rather spend more for the intial car so I don't have to spend more over the next 6 months or year. He might get lucky? Thats what it will be to find a nice driver, original drive train, real red or black car, no hit body, no rust, original car and a documented car. Oh I forgot a/c would be nice too. Maybe just maybe but something will be sacrificed out of all those.

Again I wish the OP luck and its good that he's getting knowledge from the forum.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM
jchez7
Instructor

Saw a couple 'expired' ebay cars that I was watching & looked good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Match...orcev4exp=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sting...orcev4exp=true

Not really sure how to do this but hopefully there's enough info above to at least look at these cars
Old 02-03-2013, 03:48 PM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by vwtdi
Heres a promising looking 67 coupe

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/3521378860.html
Thanks, that looks like something that needs a little work to finish out. May be promising. Not sure of what is not original.

Dennis
Old 02-03-2013, 03:57 PM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by jchez7
Saw a couple 'expired' ebay cars that I was watching & looked good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Match...orcev4exp=true

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sting...orcev4exp=true

Not really sure how to do this but hopefully there's enough info above to at least look at these cars
Thanks, I contacted both, but they are almost complete.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:17 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by KingD
Thanks, that looks like something that needs a little work to finish out. May be promising. Not sure of what is not original.

Dennis
Be very careful there. That car has been on Craigslist in different cities and ebay for a long time. If it looks too good to be true.... it's probably a scam.

Get notified of new replies

To WTB 65 66 67 survivor my son and I can restore and show

Old 02-05-2013, 06:47 AM
KingD
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
Be very careful there. That car has been on Craigslist in different cities and ebay for a long time. If it looks too good to be true.... it's probably a scam.
Yeah, I won't buy a car without going to it and bringing the check with me or having a corvette club member or corvette appraiser look at it first.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM
KingD
Advanced

Does anyone know of an older person in a southern state that has an old worn out vette and probably should sell it? I want to talk to you. Call me.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM
JScott
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Saw this car on Seattle Craigslist and thought it might be what you're looking for.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/cto/3567559599.html

Quick Reply: WTB 65 66 67 survivor my son and I can restore and show