Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice: Selling 81 Vette at car show!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 08:19 PM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last edited by samsonb; 04-24-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 AM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with the sale. Nice looking car!

Old 03-28-2005, 09:18 AM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't you just buy that car a couple of months ago?
Old 03-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's so special about remote start, seems a strange thing to get so hung up about
Old 03-28-2005, 01:05 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think you're gonna get a good price at a sales corral. Most of those folks are looking for bargains and fixer-uppers. I think the best way to sell a car is through the local newspaper. Just my .02
Old 03-28-2005, 01:17 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
I don't think you're gonna get a good price at a sales corral. Most of those folks are looking for bargains and fixer-uppers. I think the best way to sell a car is through the local newspaper. Just my .02

I've showed my car before at local shows for a very reasonable price and, while EVERYONE was interested, NO ONE followed-through.

Someone contacting you from an ad in the paper, AutoTrader or E-Stink is definitely interested.

I still bring my car, on occasion, to these events, but only because I can "sneak" a second person into the show under the one-price "sales corral" umbrella (and I get a good parking spot). If someone buys it, so be it, but I ain't holding my breath.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-28-2005, 01:29 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

you will probably have a hard time sellng the car with a lien
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvtt1969
you will probably have a hard time sellng the car with a lien
Not so. Buyer writes two checks. One to the lien-holder for the "pay-off" amount. Buyer can send the check directly to lien-holder and request title be forwarded to them. Second check get's written to you for the difference. This is done every day, seven days/wk. with any vehicle that is financed.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-28-2005, 02:03 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Originally Posted by 74FLCONV
Not so. Buyer writes two checks. One to the lien-holder for the "pay-off" amount. Buyer can send the check directly to lien-holder and request title be forwarded to them. Second check get's written to you for the difference. This is done every day, seven days/wk. with any vehicle that is financed.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
really? everyone i ever dealed with would only do cash, its a pain in the *** cause id rather use checks, but i guess its not as big a problem as i thought
Old 03-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

D. Ocean is correct. The lien must be cleared before the title is released. If cheques are used that will delay the process somewhat until the funds transfer to the bank is complete. A cash deposit at the bank achieves the same purpose instantly.
Old 03-28-2005, 02:11 PM
74FLCONV
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvtt1969
really? everyone i ever dealed with would only do cash, its a pain in the *** cause id rather use checks, but i guess its not as big a problem as i thought
Well...if the person delivering cash is trustworthy enough, they give you cash, you deliver payment to lien-holder with instructions to forward title to buyer. The bill-of-sale "protects" buyer.

Anyone driving around with $8k, $10k, $12k (or more) in their pocket, cruising car shows or visiting strangers from the newspaper is a dip-sheet (IMHO). If you get jacked, get in a car accident, or simply "drop your wad", that $$$ is gone. Nothing wrong with cashier's checks.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA
Old 03-28-2005, 02:20 PM
twistdpair
Instructor

I'd just get a quick personal loan, pay off the car, and have the title in my hand. Sometimes it takes a while to get your title back.

You'll pay almost nothing in interest if you are asking a reasonable amount for the car and it sells quickly.

-Corky
Old 03-29-2005, 08:02 AM
copter
Drifting

I know that people that are serious about buying a car at a show have their ducks in a row before they go.I know I have before and went to the bank got the money I wanted in a cirtified bank check actually got three checks and some of it in cash so I could make the transaction go better.NEVER take a personal check and make sure that your bank tells you how much your payoff is.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:53 AM
corvettekev
Racer

Its not hard selling a car with a lien against it. I've done it several times. I always just go to the bank the day before a show or something like you're wanting to do and let the bank know you are going to sell the car. Tell them you would like to have your title incase it sells. They'll have you sign a piece of paper saying you have possesion of your title and you are good to go. If you don't sell the car simply take the title back to they bank.
I would not take a personal check unless you went to a bank first to verify there is money in the account. I would only accept cash, or bank transfer, or cashiers check.
As far as selling at a show like that, there are alot of tire kickers out there so you may not sell it at the show but don't be surpised to get a call a day or so later.
As far as your price, that can differ in the area you're in. Around my parts that car would likely go for around $10,000, give or take a thousand.
Nice looking car!

Get notified of new replies

To Advice: Selling 81 Vette at car show!

Quick Reply: Advice: Selling 81 Vette at car show!