C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with c3 tow vehicle. now I'm stranded...ignition?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 05:10 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with c3 tow vehicle. now I'm stranded...ignition?

Having trouble with this, hopefully it doesn't get moved to another area. Was driving my truck that I normally use to haul the vette with to a interview today and my truck died. It did recieve I light bump in the rear but I don't know if related. I was driving at about 55 mph in the 1985 dodge 150. Then it cut out for a sec, kept my foot on the gas and it kept going, then again about 10 sec later. Then at the stoplight dead... Tried to start over and over and it would turn and turn and then for about 1 sec sound like it was going to start and then just turn some more. About 5 min later after calling the girly and such I get back in and it starts with some help from the pedal and runs fine. About 30 sec later dead. 10 min later I try again and then it starts and I make it maybe 1/2 mile and then it dies again. Get to the interview blah blah. Then get back to the truck, I monkeyed with some bad looking wires and it starts. I let idle for about 2 min and close the hood. Dies. Another 5 min later I am able to start dies about 4 min later after idling just find. It doesn't sputter or anything, just died. I looked in the carb ( two barrel holley) and it is getting plenty of fuel, nice strong sprays. I noticed that coil is too hot to touch. Is that normal? This thing is 100% stock with the exception of the muffler. It took the coil out after it cooled down, when I shake I can hear fluid, feels 3/4-4/5's full, is that where it should be? Looks like there is some oil on the top of the coil which is situated sideways under the hood, there is some on the wires also. Please help with this one, going to find a ride to autozone to see if they can test the coil. Vehicle has about 55k miles on it. Sat for the last 2 years..purchased from estate sale, been driving 2 months.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

Forgot to say, I did atleast get the job....more money for the c3 now..
Old 04-21-2005, 07:53 PM
69vette66
Pro

I would say replace the coil. When the engine temp gets hot is when a coil starts to act up.

good luck Larry
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

changed coil so far so good.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:53 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

DOH!!! truck ran for about 10 min just fine, shut her off. Went back out and started her up, about 3 min later same thing! I dunno, I guess the points system died or something. Can't finger it out. Had to break down and steal money from teh girly. Got it towed to a local shop. This sucks, I hate paying for stuff.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:55 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the ignition module. Get hot..shuts off.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:21 PM
munday
Le Mans Master

It was the electronic control module or something along that line. 175 bucks to be fixed by local shop with a diagnostic fee. Ouch.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:28 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by munday
It was the electronic control module or something along that line. 175 bucks to be fixed by local shop with a diagnostic fee. Ouch.
OUCH is right
Old 04-23-2005, 04:46 PM
shoptek
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
At least it is fixed, and shouldn't be something to worry about for years
Old 04-24-2005, 12:39 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by shoptek
Sound like a bad module. I am still using a 84' Dodge Van for some delivering. Some of the Dodges back then had an igition module box. If that is all it is they are cheap. I use to sell them for about $20. If you have the type of ignition module that is in my 84' Dodge Van it is a factory module. It wasn't available to the aftermarket only from the dealer. They pretty much lasted a lifetime. I still have the original in my Van but I also have a used backup I acquired over the years. If you look under the hood this type of module is a long piece usually mounted to the firewall with a vacuum advance with hose coming out of it going to the motor and also a large hose for fresh air to keep it cool. I have seen some that were part of the air cleaner assembly from back then. You can't miss it, it is pretty large compared to the other older style module they once used.

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with c3 tow vehicle. now I'm stranded...ignition?

Quick Reply: Problem with c3 tow vehicle. now I'm stranded...ignition?