Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper Control Arm Bushing Removal???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005, 04:02 PM
Carl in LA
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Upper Control Arm Bushing Removal???

hey - upper control arm bushings are worn out... started to repair... looks like bushings are press to fit... how do you remove???
Old 05-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

You have to take the A frame off first. Don't think you can do it on the car. They're pressed in.

You have to cut out or press out the old ones, then press the new ones in. Chuck
Old 05-20-2005, 05:54 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You definitely have to take the arms off to replace the bushings. If the upper bushings are shot the lowers probably are also. While you're at it you might as well replace the ball joints.

Of course you will want to clean and paint the A-arms before putting them back on. Now the frame won't look so good with nice painted A-arms so you might as well remove the body and paint the whole frame. See how it starts?

Rick B.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:10 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blair Winch Project
Of course you will want to clean and paint the A-arms before putting them back on. Now the frame won't look so good with nice painted A-arms so you might as well remove the body and paint the whole frame. See how it starts?

Rick B.
I estimate the front bushing to cost about $12,000 to $15,000 to do them as listed above, considering if you do most of the work!

The job is not all that tough, if you have experience. For me, I am in the middle of doing the front end and I have learned a lot so for by doing the drivers side. I am doing like Rick mentioned and painting things before it goes back together, and replacing everthing. The car only has slightly over 65k miles on it and doesn't get driven much. This will probably be the last time it gets done in my lifetime. I should easily get 30 years out of when done.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:37 AM
TXShark
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did my upper bushings a couple of years ago and finally got around to doing the rest of the front end (all the "might as wells"). The uppers took me about 4 hours and I had to remove the control arms. I think you can get at them without taking the shroud off (definitely a pain to put back on, so avoid this like the plague). It took me about 16 hours to do the entire front end rebuild with my 30+ year old parts (on the car, my parts are well over 40....). Anyway, a nice air chisel makes life easier. Make sure when you press them in that they are straight and your control arms aren't dorked up (bent, etc.). Again, a good beating by a ball pein hammer can save the day. Good luck, it is definitely worth the time. Mine is a joy to drive now, no clunks, wandering, excessive darting.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:17 AM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best/easiest way? Take the arms to an experienced mechanic (along with some new bushings supplied by VB&P), hand the guy $40 ~ $60 and tell him you'll pick them up tomorrow...

Get notified of new replies

To Upper Control Arm Bushing Removal???

Quick Reply: Upper Control Arm Bushing Removal???