Front end shaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 10:18 PM
JAMES69
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Front end shaking

Guys,

I need some advice. I have a 1969 Vert, 350/350 4 speed. When I hit 60mph to 70mph, the front end shakes considerably. It is even hard to hold the steering wheel because of the shaking. Below 60mph and above 70 mph, no problem. I thought it might be that the tires needed balancing, but I just got that done on friday and it did not help at all. Anyone else experienced this before?

Jim
Old 06-25-2005, 10:24 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was experiencing the same thing on my '75. After balancing the tires (BF Goodrich Radial TA), a front end alignment, and a tire rotation, the shaking is almost completely gone. The tires on my car have been on it for a lot of years. The previous owner only put 20K miles on the car in the 13 years he had it. So I think new tires should complete the job.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:32 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Do you have excessive play in the steering ? If so, check your tie rod ends and the wheel bearings as well as the steering box.

From what you say it sounds like the tires need to be balanced but you have done that....

Firestone offers a "life time alignment" for $129.99 - I got that for two of my cars, it's a great deal... pay once and never worry about it again... you need to find a shop that knows older Corvettes... actually you need to find a place where an older mechanic works... most of the guys younger than 30 don't know about the 'old' stuff...

Get notified of new replies

To Front end shaking

Quick Reply: Front end shaking