Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

smog equip

Old 07-31-2005, 09:19 AM
hiyosilver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog equip

Sh are your opinions on acquiring and reinstalling all smog equip. 73 l48.I run antique plates and am exempt from inspection but if i switch to regular plates the vehicle needs current inspection and will not pass because equip removed . In va antique plates limit driving to car shows and parades and mech test runs or to and from repair shops
Old 07-31-2005, 12:08 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From a purist point of view ... I would like to restore the A.I.R. pump and the ported exhaust manifolds to my CA emissioned 72 Coupe. From a performance viewpoint ... I am fine with the fact that someone did a great job installing smooth sided GM manifolds without the ports and disposed of the pump.

There is also some confusion on whether or not a CA 72 had the pump. Some say that ONLY a percentage had the pump ... some say that NONE of the CA cars had the pump. I wish I knew for sure.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by hiyosilver
Sh are your opinions on acquiring and reinstalling all smog equip. 73 l48.I run antique plates and am exempt from inspection but if i switch to regular plates the vehicle needs current inspection and will not pass because equip removed . In va antique plates limit driving to car shows and parades and mech test runs or to and from repair shops
Ohio has the same deal on the "Antique" Plates, but realistically, when's the last time you have seen a cop pulled over with a "Historical Vehicle"??? Besides, with Cruise-Ins and Car Shows happening daily, you could always tell the cop you're heading to so & so place. I doubt very much he's going to follow you. I'd just leave your car "as-is" unless you're going to go the NCRS/Bloomington judging route with the car.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 275 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
Ohio has the same deal on the "Antique" Plates, but realistically, when's the last time you have seen a cop pulled over with a "Historical Vehicle"??? Besides, with Cruise-Ins and Car Shows happening daily, you could always tell the cop you're heading to so & so place. I doubt very much he's going to follow you. I'd just leave your car "as-is" unless you're going to go the NCRS/Bloomington judging route with the car.

I run antique (year correct) plates on 2 cars, which has no real restrictions. I put an Historical plate (parades, carshows, etc. only) on my '64 GTO because it's a hard year plate to find, and I didn't want to wait while hunting for one. Never had a cop so much as look at it in 2 years. Hopefully, they have better things to do. Years ago I had put an Historical plate on a modified '65 Vette with a Lingenfelter-built 427 in it. Yeah, that was a real parade car.

Rich
Old 07-31-2005, 11:39 PM
ThereIsNoSpoon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in VA myself and am hoping to pick up a 79 in about 2 weeks and was wondering the same thing myself, so I just checked the VA DMV and here is what I found about antique plates:

1) Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
2) Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence. I just kicked my spirits up a notch.

Get notified of new replies

To smog equip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: smog equip