Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 PM
vabeachvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Cover Question

May be a stupid question here, but not too much of a wrench turner but I have a 350 SB, the PCV and oil cap go into the valve covers that are on my motor now, is it possible to get a set of valve covers that do not have the holes for these two items (for example the ones that say Corvette in script) and make it work?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:00 AM
Greg
Just another Corvette guy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,835 Likes on 1,782 Posts

vabeachvette,
Unfortunately, this won't work. If you're thinking of using the early style Corvette covers with the script, the problem will be lack of crankcase ventilation. Those old style covers looked good but they had to be used with the early style intake manifold that had the oil fill tube at the front with a breather cap installed on the top of the tube to draw air into the crankcase. They also had a road draft tube at the rear of the manifold to vent crankcase gasses. Old fashioned and too many pollutants. If you run those valve covers on your motor without the old style intake you'll build up pressure very quickly and start forcing oil out, usually through the valve cover gaskets first.
Good luck,
Greg
Old 08-02-2005, 04:35 PM
vabeachvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info, that's what I figured, too bad you can't just drill out two holes and put a pcv and an oil filler grommet in there. But then that would cover the script logo. Appreciate the info.

Get notified of new replies

To Valve Cover Question

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Question