Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about Antique tags in Pa.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Question about Antique tags in Pa.

Finally got the tags so I can drive it. Not a problem ,only took a week.The registration says it is perminent,so no more registration fees.The question is,can I now remove the inspection sticker from my windshield?Antiques do not require any inspection.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:22 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
Finally got the tags so I can drive it. Not a problem ,only took a week.The registration says it is perminent,so no more registration fees.The question is,can I now remove the inspection sticker from my windshield?Antiques do not require any inspection.
There's no inspection required, therefore no sticker required. Remove the pain-in-the-*** thing... and good luck getting all the goop off!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I've lived in PA for over 2 years and have an antique tag but have never been motivated to remove my old NC inspection tag. I wonder would a State Trooper would think if I ever got pulled over?
Old 08-07-2005, 10:33 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would remove it.
Just curious as to why you went with the antique plates instead of classic plates? There are 2 big differences. Antiques do not require the annual state inspection. An antique can not be driven after it gets dark.
I went with classic plates just in case I am out and returning at night.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I almost never drive it after dark anyway,but the main reason for the Antique tags was a total lack of inspection.I'm sick of trying to find that one good ol' boy station that will let it pass,only to find out the next year he won't pass it for some other little nit pickin thing or another.

Let's just say I running in Stealth Mode now.

I did remove that sticker and a bit of Kerosene and all the 25 years of sticker poop came right off.

Last edited by The Money Pit; 08-07-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:20 PM
70Donnybrooke
Pro

Originally Posted by mandm1200
I would remove it.
Just curious as to why you went with the antique plates instead of classic plates? There are 2 big differences. Antiques do not require the annual state inspection. An antique can not be driven after it gets dark.
I went with classic plates just in case I am out and returning at night.

That is not true. It is only for cars without modern lights, like cars with a 6 volt system.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:46 PM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Donnybrooke
That is not true. It is only for cars without modern lights, like cars with a 6 volt system.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:36 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 70Donnybrooke
I talked to several people at PennDOT. I was going to go with antique plates to eliminate the annual inspection.But after they said that the antique registration does not allowing for driving at night, I choose classic registration. The only good thing about having an inspection is that an unbiased pair of eyes will look over the car. I don't think a $20 inspection fee keeps the garages in business. Perhaps that's why some will be more nit-picky than others. Very few inpections stations will pass a car if there is something bad and dangerous.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:38 AM
SR7D1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between "classic" and regular registration? I live in OH and got my tags renewed Friday as a regular renewel.

There was no inspection and since it's a 71, no emissions.

Maybe I can save some cash?
Old 08-08-2005, 01:09 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mandm1200
I talked to several people at PennDOT. I was going to go with antique plates to eliminate the annual inspection.But after they said that the antique registration does not allowing for driving at night, I choose classic registration. The only good thing about having an inspection is that an unbiased pair of eyes will look over the car. I don't think a $20 inspection fee keeps the garages in business. Perhaps that's why some will be more nit-picky than others. Very few inpections stations will pass a car if there is something bad and dangerous.
There is your problem - you talked to someone at PenDOT!

Go to the PenDOT sight and read what the law says, not what some dunce at PenDOT says.

You can drive after dark with modern lights.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:09 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by glen242
There is your problem - you talked to someone at PenDOT!

Go to the PenDOT sight and read what the law says, not what some dunce at PenDOT says.

You can drive after dark with modern lights.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about Antique tags in Pa.

Quick Reply: Question about Antique tags in Pa.