Sponsored by:

Applying Vinyl Dye to Painted Dash Pads

Old 10-04-2005, 07:58 PM
atlantajoe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Applying Vinyl Dye to Painted Dash Pads

Hello All,
I could use a little advice- I've got dash components ('72 convertible) that are chipping black paint from the originally saddle color panels. It's barely noticable now, but since I'm redoing the radio and will have the dash apart already, I thought that I'd redo these too. These are my specific questions:

1. How do I prepare these panels since they already have a coat of paint on them? Acetone? Laquer Thinner? Steel wool?

2. What prep products have you used that have worked well? I found one from Midamerican that looks good, but some have mentioned Bulldog.

3. Do you recommend using a primer with vinyl dye?

4. Midamerican also sells a high gloss and low luster clear coat for dyed components- anyone have any experience?

5. Does the steering wheel need to be dropped down in order to get the driver's side dash pad out? What has to be done to drop the steering wheel down?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Joe
Old 10-05-2005, 03:08 PM
JoeRags
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a '70 convertible... when we bought the car, the interior was black.... dash, seats, carpet, EVERYTHING. After decoding the trim tags, it turns out that my car was originally equipped with a green vinyl interior.... yea, gross. I guess the previous owner thought so too, cause he spray painted all dash panels, and the door panels. After countless hours of trying everything to remove the paint without damaging the dash, we gave up. Ended up buying all new dash panels, door panels, and console. You could cover up what you have, but there is no telling wether or not it will begin to lift again. I dont think there is any way to actually remove the paint without any damage. We were already so deep into the restoration there was no sense in not replacing it. Hell, whats another couple grand when you've already spent 50?

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:36 PM
atlantajoe
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not exactly the news I was hoping for, but I think that I'll still give it a shot.

Joe
Old 10-05-2005, 04:46 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a link

http://www.corvettemagazine.com/2001...int/paint1.ASP

Get notified of new replies

To Applying Vinyl Dye to Painted Dash Pads

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Applying Vinyl Dye to Painted Dash Pads