Sponsored by:

California Historic Plates- i applied

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 05:38 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Historic Plates- i applied

as some of you who live in california, it can be very much a pain in the a$% to smog your corvette. as Kalway said, there are only 2 ways to really get out of it. #1 is applying for historic plates, and #2 is living 50miles frmo the DMV.
- today i applied for historical plates, and am waiting for Sacramento to confirm that my car is of historical value.

-as TonySinclair says "Here's the Catch-22. Will your insurance company insure a vehicle registered as "historic"? In order for you to drive it daily, you'll have to have full-fledged insurance, not "collector" insurance. Collector insurance may be the only avenue...and that avenue is closed for youthful driver's."

-currently the title of the vehicle is in my dad's name (however i did purchase it with my money). we found that insurance was cheaper if he was the owner, thus i am only a second name on insured drivers of the vehicle. i dont think insurance will be a problem.

-the reason i decided to go this route is because my vehicle was previously out of state, it is missing smog parts, and the vacuum lines are completely criss crossed etc. i was tired of paying to have the car to get fixed to try and pass smog, it always seemed to be one thing after another.

-i will keep everyone updated on this subject if you care to hear. (i am a college student so it will be exciting to see what unfolds)
~alex
Old 11-17-2005, 05:42 PM
page62
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent! We've been waiting for a guinea pig to try this route...
Old 11-17-2005, 05:48 PM
76mike
Racer

So are you going to try to keep it as a daily driver? Glad that someone is actually trying this, if it works out I may try to apply as well. What are the restrictions?
Old 11-17-2005, 06:00 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

you can only drive the car in shows and historic events/car clubs
and i think the car is supposed to be towed to those!!!

but- we'll see, and yeah its my daily driver, but ive been thinking about buying another car, just to say that i have one if i ever get asked.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:53 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Be sure and join a Vette Club 500 miles from your home....
Old 11-17-2005, 08:55 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmoneymoney4
-as TonySinclair says "Here's the Catch-22. Will your insurance company insure a vehicle registered as "historic"? In order for you to drive it daily, you'll have to have full-fledged insurance, not "collector" insurance. Collector insurance may be the only avenue...and that avenue is closed for youthful driver's."

-currently the title of the vehicle is in my dad's name (however i did purchase it with my money). we found that insurance was cheaper if he was the owner, thus i am only a second name on insured drivers of the vehicle. i dont think insurance will be a problem.
Disregard what I said about the "youthful driver" part. The $50 question is: Will a "regular" insurance company insure a vehicle with "historic plates"? Without "regular" insurance, you cannot use the car as a daily driver...not to school...not to the supermarket...not to work.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:00 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

im pretty sure its been insured without the title under my father or my name... and ive had the car for 10months or so... :0

we use farmers insurance, and my dad knows the guy by pretty well, shouldnt be a problem...

(no accidents here tho). i keep my eyes open when i drive
Old 11-17-2005, 09:04 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

im pretty sure its been insured without the title under my father or my name... and ive had the car for 10months or so... :0

we use farmers insurance, and my dad knows the guy by pretty well, shouldnt be a problem...

(no accidents here tho). i keep my eyes open when i drive
It has nothing to do with the guy your dad knows or the title. When Farmer's underwriting department sees the application and the registration indicates "Historic", will they insure it? I'd be surprised if they do.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

are u creating this scenario, or are you speaking because you have a deep knowledge of insurance companies...

what makes you say "id be suprised if they do"
Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
It has nothing to do with the guy your dad knows or the title. When Farmer's underwriting department sees the application and the registration indicates "Historic", will they insure it? I'd be surprised if they do.
what if I have my 30 year old daily driver registered and insured and then get historic plates - is the insurance company going to terminate the contract ?? I'd be surprised if they do.

I may be wrong but the historic plate comes with several limitations which reduce the risk for the insurance (cannot be a daily driver, milage restriction a.s.o.)
Old 11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
what if I have my 30 year old daily driver registered and insured and then get historic plates - is the insurance company going to terminate the contract ?? I'd be surprised if they do.

I may be wrong but the historic plate comes with several limitations which reduce the risk for the insurance (cannot be a daily driver, milage restriction a.s.o.)
Yes, when they do their yearly review and see a significant change (garage location, new teenage driver in the household, etc.) they can decline renewal. It happens every day.

And those limitations are exactly why they will not issue a full-coverage policy. They don't want you driving a "limited use/historic" vehicle on the highway during rush hour.

To answer the previous question, yes...I was an insurance examiner and fraud investigator in my previous life...in California. I investigated claims (post accident) when something didn't add-up on the insured's application. Driving a "historic" vehicle, while insuring it as a daily driver = How much of an economic hit can your father absorb if you get in an accident, only to find out the policy is "null and void" due to material misrepresentations?

Last edited by TonySinclair; 11-17-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 PM
tmoneymoney4
Advanced

pessimist? *cough* cough*

i know eventually i will have to smog this vehicle, or i will take it to another state... thats really what it comes down to. the idea was to get the cops off my back for a while seeing as how they were giving me multiple reg. tickets. 3 in 3 weeks while i was parked in a parking lot. after doing research on what was wrong with the car, i wasnt gona have time to do everything. and like ive said over and over, i plan on getting another car, in the hopes that i may actually be able to restore my vette.

p.s. if i get in an accident, i pay for it.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:05 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Pessimist? No...realist. (BTW...I had everything figured out by the time I was 20, also...)

If you cause an accident and maim, let's say...a doctor who is the head of his household and earns about $750k per year. Doctor can no longer work. The car you are driving is registered to your father. Guess who pays?

I'm not trying to create an argument, just advising you of what to expect...

Best of luck.

P.S. - Why is someone who's 20 years old have to have their car registered in their father's name? Just curious.

Last edited by TonySinclair; 11-17-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:51 AM
WhichVette?
Pro

That's a lot of unnecessary hassle. Sell it out of state and get a 75 or older, and forget it.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:03 AM
Jay M
Drifting

I've had historic plate since I've owned the car, about 4 years, and the insurance companies never said anything about it.

I started off with AAA, they told me I had Agreed value, but thye lied

Then I moved to AON, the read my post on the forum and droped me because drive the car too much. They also didn't agree to what I think the car is worth.

Now I am happliy with Chubb. I have agreed value on a normal policy for the amount I want. It's expensive, but I feel safer with them.

from DMV:

Vehicles of Historic Value

5004. (a) Notwithstanding any other provision of this code, any owner of a vehicle described in paragraph (1), (2), or (3) which is operated or moved over the highway primarily for the purpose of historical exhibition or other similar purpose shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department, be issued special identification plates for the vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965.

(2) A motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 or prior thereto.

(3) A vehicle which was manufactured after 1922, is at least 25 years old, and is of historic interest.

(b) The special identification plates assigned to motor vehicles with an engine of 16 or more cylinders manufactured prior to 1965 and to any motor vehicle manufactured in the year 1922 and prior thereto shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1".

The special identification plates assigned to vehicles specified in paragraph (3) of subdivision (a) shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Historical Vehicle No. 1".

Each series of plates shall have different and distinguishing colors.

(c) A fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) shall be charged for the initial issuance of the special identification plates. Such plates shall be permanent and shall not be required to be replaced. If such special identification plates become damaged or unserviceable in any manner, replacement for the plates may be obtained from the department upon proper application and upon payment of such fee as is provided for in Section 9265.

(d) All funds received by the department in payment for such identification plates or the replacement thereof shall be deposited in the California Environmental License Plate Fund.

(e) These vehicles shall not be exempt from the equipment provisions of Sections 26709, 27150, and 27600.

(f) As used in this section, a vehicle is of historic interest if it is collected, restored, maintained, and operated by a collector or hobbyist principally for purposes of exhibition and historic vehicle club activities.
Amended Ch. 918, Stats. 1984. Effective January 1, 1985.
I can't say for sure that it makes you exemp from smog, but why else would you drive that old car if it were not for what section (f) sescribes
Old 11-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Speaking of registering...

I have to go to the DMV tomorrow to get my '74 registered.

I'm just PRAYING that there's nothing wrong.

Supposedly, there's a clear title on the registration, and no back fees (the previous owner supposedly had it in non-operational status, then found out that his wife hadn't paid the registration at all, and went to pay fines). I'm hoping that the DMV doesn't slap us with huge fees when we go to try to register it because of that. The previous owner said he'd cleared up everything, but he wasn't entirely honest with us about the car.

I mean, the guy was supposed to be a gearhead, but he replaced the power steering pump and left it without power steering fluid, told us that the front bumper had a "minor spiderweb crack" when the bumper is literally falling apart, and painted the exhaust manifolds with regular Krylon spray paint.

Kinda makes me wonder if we're going to have a surprise when we go in to the DMV.

Also kinda nervous, since the car was registered in non-operational status, if they're going to make us smog it or not.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:09 AM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Sprzout
Speaking of registering...

I have to go to the DMV tomorrow to get my '74 registered.

I'm just PRAYING that there's nothing wrong.

Supposedly, there's a clear title on the registration, and no back fees (the previous owner supposedly had it in non-operational status, then found out that his wife hadn't paid the registration at all, and went to pay fines). I'm hoping that the DMV doesn't slap us with huge fees when we go to try to register it because of that. The previous owner said he'd cleared up everything, but he wasn't entirely honest with us about the car.

I mean, the guy was supposed to be a gearhead, but he replaced the power steering pump and left it without power steering fluid, told us that the front bumper had a "minor spiderweb crack" when the bumper is literally falling apart, and painted the exhaust manifolds with regular Krylon spray paint.

Kinda makes me wonder if we're going to have a surprise when we go in to the DMV.

Also kinda nervous, since the car was registered in non-operational status, if they're going to make us smog it or not.
Gotta love Calif. DMV. Your statement brings back memories.

Here's the DMV interview in FLA when registering your car:

DMV: Year?
Me: 1980.
DMV: That will be $35.00. Pay at window "A". Next!

Get notified of new replies

To California Historic Plates- i applied

Old 11-19-2005, 12:15 AM
wb6mfw
Instructor

They will definitly make you smog it in Calif.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:54 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

i know eventually i will have to smog this vehicle, or i will take it to another state... thats really what it comes down to. the idea was to get the cops off my back for a while seeing as how they were giving me multiple reg. tickets. 3 in 3 weeks while i was parked in a parking lot. after doing research on what was wrong with the car, i wasnt gona have time to do everything. and like ive said over and over, i plan on getting another car, in the hopes that i may actually be able to restore my vette.

Apply for a waiver.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by page62
Excellent! We've been waiting for a guinea pig to try this route...

Quick Reply: California Historic Plates- i applied