Sponsored by:

Speaking Of Factory Alarms...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 149 Likes on 59 Posts

Default [UPDATE!]---Speaking Of Factory Alarms...(last post)

**I edited this out of a previous post so I didnt hi-jack the thread**

I didnt know my C-3 (1979 L-82)even had a factory alarm ....Vette n00bie.

So, I figued out how to work it after calling previous owner...all is good.
Because of lack of maintenance; I had to clean under the hood (hose and engine degreaser...no pressure but water hose pressure)

...and the alarm died.

First: At The Door--- It would work as I guess it was s'posed to...ie. turn key in door lock to lock, and arm alarm...unlock without turning key twice and open door...alarm went off.
Turn key in lock to the right twice and alarm was disabled.

Now:
On drivers side; if I turn key to *lock* door; the horn blows...unlock with key any amount of time...nothing happens...unlock or lock from inside all works...key works driver or passenger door; and unlocks correctly...

Just no more alarm at all.

Where are the componments that I got wet??..is there a reset of some sort?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Strats-N-Vettes; 12-29-2005 at 12:01 AM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 12-26-2005, 02:28 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Fuse? Shares fuse with the interior lights, lighter, glove box light, and clock. Maybe something got wet.
I had a dead alarm horn in one of mine. It's Way down in the drivers side fender on the firewall., kinda under and to the right of the brake power booster. Do you hear any clicking from the console when you feel the alarm should be sounding? That's where the relay is. If you hear clicking, probably the horn.
Mike
Old 12-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KapsSA
Fuse? Shares fuse with the interior lights, lighter, glove box light, and clock. Maybe something got wet.
I had a dead alarm horn in one of mine. It's Way down in the drivers side fender on the firewall., kinda under and to the right of the brake power booster. Do you hear any clicking from the console when you feel the alarm should be sounding? That's where the relay is. If you hear clicking, probably the horn.
Mike
Well..all the above components works except for the clock...it never has.
I was just under the B-booster r/r the steering coupling...shoot!!...If I'da known...

Yeah, the beep-beeps inside the car still makes the correct noise a second or two when car is actuated OFF...just like it did before I hosed it down.
The other thread has me to look at the hood switch too, when I get home.

Jim
Old 12-26-2005, 05:16 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes
Yeah, the beep-beeps inside the car still makes the correct noise a second or two... Jim
The relay should make a consistant "tick-tock" for as long as the alarm is triggered(usually can hear it only when the alarm horn won't blow). If the door or hood is open when you "lock" the drivers door with the key the alarm should sound instantly. The underhood switch at the firewall is a common reason for not turning off, either it's corroded or out of adjustment.

Mike
Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

The relay should make a consistant "tick-tock" for as long as the alarm is triggered(usually can hear it only when the alarm horn won't blow). If the door or hood is open when you "lock" the drivers door with the key the alarm should sound instantly. The underhood switch at the firewall is a common reason for not turning off, either it's corroded or out of adjustment.

Mike
Its not a tick-tock noise...oh boy...let me try...maybe "beep-bob-beep"???

Anyway; I viewed the hood switch several times (but, not knowing that it was for a theft alarm) and it was very much in place...a little worn and loose but there. That will be my "go-to" starting point to start a process of elimination.

Thanks for the starting point,
Jim
Old 12-26-2005, 07:22 PM
76mike
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaha the sound that you're hearing is probably an aftermarket radio, which I now assume that you have. Mine does the same thing. Is this the case?
Old 12-26-2005, 07:36 PM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 76mike
hahaha the sound that you're hearing is probably an aftermarket radio, which I now assume that you have. Mine does the same thing. Is this the case?

Yes, there is a Kenwood in it...not from me though.
That particular noise is second or two after the key is out of the ignition.

Remember; the alarm did work until I hosed uner the hood...thats when it freaked out...when all the componenents finally dried; it no longer worked at all....but the lil "beep-bop-beep" remained the same, and is still the same.

Jim
Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

OKaaaaayyyy. Went out to the barn yesterday to check the alarm on my white 79 to be sure of my statements. It didn't work!!? It worked back in May when I got the Vette. I had removed an aftermarket alarm and I checked and double checked all the wires under the dash. Factory alarm worked fine. Anyway, pulled the console side panels off again(I had replaced the radio last week)to see if anything was loose. All was good. Stuck my big head under the dash and followed wires around, everything looked good. What the!!!!! Could hear the relay click once with each turn of the key. Look at it tomorrow .
Got home from work and went out there today. Tried the key in the door again. No luck. Started it up and pulled it out of the barn and right back in. Let it warm up to temp. Turned it off and figured I'd start looking again. But first, try the key again. Worked fine! Couldn't get it to NOT work. Can't explain it. Nothing loose that I can find. 12Kmile car. Any ideas? I keep the battery disconnected when parked. Some kind of reset in the relay perhaps?
Mike
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Strats-N-Vettes
Friend Request Magnet
Support Corvetteforum!

OKaaaaayyyy. Worked fine! Can't explain it. Nothing loose that I can find. 12Kmile car. Some kind of reset in the relay perhaps?
Mike

I was getting ready to pull the dash out of mine to repair the clock (will be pointers in another thread)...I opened the door and the horn started blowing...I didnt expect it. So, I fumbled for the keys and turned it off at the door.

Stuck the key in and armed the alarm..."POOOF!!!"...it works now.

Dont ask me what I did...maybe its cause my Boxer keeps pissing on the tires and car cover...thats al lthat has changed since last I posted on this...more dog **** on the car.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Speaking Of Factory Alarms...

Quick Reply: Speaking Of Factory Alarms...