Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery homes, anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:04 PM
The Ram
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discovery homes, anyone have one?

im looking at one of these nifty Discovery Homes...does anyone have one, or know of one? im looking for opinions on em! thanks!
Old 12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"Discovery Home"?

Is that a new name for "double-wide"?

Old 12-30-2005, 06:15 PM
The Ram
Racer

nah i think these things are similar to stick built homes....

www.discoverycustomhomes.com
Old 12-30-2005, 06:20 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

They have some nice homes
Old 12-30-2005, 06:23 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The Ram
nah i think these things are similar to stick built homes....

www.discoverycustomhomes.com

Cool. Is it a pre-fab kit that you assemble (like the Sears kits from the 40's/50's)? I'd do something like that if the cost savings were significant.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:27 PM
The Ram
Racer

they are structured in a plant then brought to a concrete slab and finished out...just like a on site built home except build the structure indoors to keep it from the weather elements...once its on the foundation its there...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

So what are the savings?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:31 PM
The Ram
Racer

i have yet to find out...im supposed to speak with a rep on monday and compare the discovery homes to a local builder here to see the difference....

im just trying to find out if someone has one or knows of one and the opinions on em?
Old 12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Well...if they meet local building codes and are cheaper than site-built, it's a no-brainer. Just not sure how they can save $$$ by building the thing in one place and transporting it halfway across the country.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:41 PM
The Ram
Racer

i guess i will find out on monday...they have a plant here in texas so thats not too bad...the only thing built in the plant is the frame and exterior...rest is finished out on site...
Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM
MEGALADON
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The Ram
i have yet to find out...im supposed to speak with a rep on monday and compare the discovery homes to a local builder here to see the difference....

im just trying to find out if someone has one or knows of one and the opinions on em?
I'de like to hear the difference also. Were looking for property to buy
and build a house on also
Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 PM
The Ram
Racer

what im so suprised at is, these are "stick" built homes...when i spoke with the guy he said depending on how you deck the house out you could get out the door @ 57.00 sq ft if you do a nice home, but dont go too gaudy like you are some rich and famous person...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Looks to be made by Palm Harbor. On a slab, on your property, then it's probably OK. I would want to see the framing first though. You can get some pretty bad thunderstorms in Desoto.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:38 PM
The Ram
Racer

yea if i wind up buying one they said i could go to the plant in south texas and view mine framing before it was brought up here...i just like the idea the frame is built indoors and dont have to worry bout the rain and elements getting to it while being built like a convential home...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

unless the home is cool looking, i oppose to factory built homes/cookie cutters homes/development homes/etc....... most of the time there is such a material cost cut in order to make it affordable but u end up with a crappy structured house that will tend to have issues...... i.e. rafter/joist spacing from 16 oc to 24" oc.... sure the so-called engineered lumber might be able to hold the weight but plywood decking/sheathing wasn't meant for that large of spacing...12"-16"typ....24"is stretching it......look at newer homes and see roofs that are deflecting in between the rafters (usually in snow states due to snow loads)...... also, homes built on site are built as a whole so no seams....... have a seam down the middle of the house might cause issues down the road.....concrete slab might sink a bit and cause the seam to open/etc.

alot of development homes are built with speed so some of the smaller details are forgotten and skipped..... a $300,000 home would probably only cost you 60-75,000 if you had a lot..... developers make a killing off of over priced homes that are just big....... there is a saying that we use called "a big foot home" ...basically it takes up the whole lot or close to it and maximizes the square footage so a developer can charge a crazy amount of cash for it..............

i'm am really detail focused and tend to look at most of the homes going up these days..... some are ok...others shouldn't even get built..... standard box with siding and added features...... a home built in the 50's/60's are better built than those built these days...... also, look at a newly built home and you will notice drywall seams/screw divots/cheap doors/fake brick and stone/etc........ the pride in building ahome isn't there any more........ just hurry up and get it done and make a fake community/cal-da-sac and call it a day.........

i guess my schooling in architecture and construction experience tends to lead me to criticize alot of structures i see....

b
Old 12-30-2005, 07:51 PM
TonySinclair
Melting Slicks

Local codes determine the joist spacing. 24" O.C. is acceptable in certain locales (no wind or snow load). One of the homes I own was kit-built in 1941 (out of 2 x 4's no less) and the ceiling rafters are 24" O.C. This home has withstood every hurricane that has come through here in the last 60+ years.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:00 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Shouldn't this be in tech?

Get notified of new replies

To Discovery homes, anyone have one?

Old 12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
The Ram
Racer

Originally Posted by TonySinclair
Local codes determine the joist spacing. 24" O.C. is acceptable in certain locales (no wind or snow load). One of the homes I own was kit-built in 1941 (out of 2 x 4's no less) and the ceiling rafters are 24" O.C. This home has withstood every hurricane that has come through here in the last 60+ years.

palm harbors doublewides withstood all the hurricanes in florida with very little damage...these things have come a long ways...but the ones im looking at are stick built....
Old 12-30-2005, 08:39 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

if it's your cup of tea then go for it...... i would rather build my own with my designs and layouts and visit the site every 4 days/etc......
Old 12-30-2005, 08:52 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

In todays world,these Discovery homes sure beat our typical "above the ground caves" of the 70's in Calif...IMO
I won't get into SQ FT replacement costs here...unreal...
Rich

Quick Reply: Discovery homes, anyone have one?