Sponsored by:

Best Muffler Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 10:34 PM
wagonerjim
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Muffler Sound?

I have a 1980 Coupe and it has the stock mufflers on it. I would like to make it sound better. You know, like a awesome car should.

My daughter has a 2004 Mustang GT and her mufflers sound great!

Could you please tell me what would be the best mufflers to put on it. I don't want a very loud sound, but would love to hear it roar down the road.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:54 PM
C3Racing
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I would like to know that myself..As for a mustang the flowmasters just has that sweet sound for that car .. I wish a old 80-82 vette can sound the same way as a (esp) a 5.0 stang with flowmasters..
Old 02-14-2006, 11:40 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...43&forum_id=57

And if you want it you can have the highflow cat that's welded to the pipe.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:48 PM
72Tornado
Pro

I'd be kinda wary of Flowmasters...I don't know how all of their stuff is, but in my experience they kind of have a reputation for flowing like crap - it's your choice as to if you really care about the performance or just the sound...the other part of it is, Flowmasters are very common and as such the sound (though good) is damn near cliche. Just my opinion...
Old 02-14-2006, 11:57 PM
C3Racing
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

What about a chambered system(w/o muff's) ,or dyno max ss , borla exhaust??
Old 02-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Kalway
Safety Car

Pffft what do you need mufflers for? Put a couple of resonators back there and blast everyone out!
Old 02-15-2006, 07:58 AM
1970 Dave
Burning Brakes

DynoMax Super Turbo's

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
Old 02-15-2006, 08:06 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 1970 Dave
DynoMax Super Turbo's

SEMPER FI--1970 Dave
I've got a pair of DynoMax Super Turbo's sitting on the livingroom floor as we speak and according to the weatherman, should be warmer and dry today...will attempt to install today and then I'll leave a post as to good or bad sound...
Old 02-15-2006, 08:12 AM
vettfixr
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

There's always a lot of comments on the Mustang sound. Here's the deal. Fords have a different firing order than Chevys which contributes to their unique sound. You're never going to make a chevy sound like a Mustang. That being said I can tell you that I have Dynomax Ultraflow stainless mufflers on my 74 and I'm very happy with them. They have a minimum of resonance and at cruise have a nice tone to them. Once you put your foot in it they open up like the old glasspaks and rap. What I've observed over the few years that I've had them on is that they went from very quiet initially to a deeper tone as they broke in. All in all I'm quite please with them. I was never a big fan of the metallic tone of the flowmasters. But muffler choice is very subjective and one mans beer is another mans champagne. Drink sensibly.
The following users liked this post:
Alex66 (02-22-2018)
Old 02-15-2006, 09:15 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Corsa or Flowmaster should sound about like what you want.

Magnaflow and Dynomax will be a lot more mellow.

Want nasty? Chambered undercar or open sidepipes. Mustangs will run crying.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:22 AM
PNK
Instructor

This is my "mufflers" sounds crazy, probably a little to loud for most but i simply love them

CarChemistry tube muffler CCI-31225SRK is the summit number
Old 02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
stingray79
Advanced

Originally Posted by kb2fzq
I've got a pair of DynoMax Super Turbo's sitting on the livingroom floor as we speak and according to the weatherman, should be warmer and dry today...will attempt to install today and then I'll leave a post as to good or bad sound...
Best sound I ever heard was the day I put DynoMax's in line. Everybody told me to go Flotrash but Not me.. I like a really mellow tone instead of that popping. When you put your foot through the floor it rapps load, but out cruising you can't ask for a better sound.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
JayMoneyDubs
Heel & Toe

I have MAGNAFLOW mufflers on my 1970 corvette. They arent as loud and annoying as the flowmasters and have a really deep tone to them especially on wot. downshifting sounds great too. I have gotten a few complements in the short time that they have been on there too. Plus they outflow flowmaster also....so look into a set of them... Corvette central custom makes em for your corvette...and at a good price..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Ed Blue 03
Racer

I have Vortex mufflers attached to a custom 2 1/2" exhaust system on my 73 with a SB. Nice healthy sound, maybe a little loud for some, the perfect system for me.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:50 AM
82X-FireVette
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have Cherry Bomb Turbos that sound just right. They have that great "Corvette" sound. I've gotten compliments about them at shows. The rest of the exhaust is pretty much stock 2 1/2" with a high flow cat.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Fubba
Pro

Pretty much anything is an upgrade is you have stock on there now. Go to the different sites of the manufacturer's and listen to the sound clips there. I have an old pair of flowmaster's on mine that I really like a lot. Everyone has different tastes as you can see here, so just go take a listen and figure out what YOUR taste is.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
tigers123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default chambered

Chambered are as loud and powerful sounding as it gets without getting a ticket. But I feel they are restrictive. No matter what they sound like, make sure they are free flowing.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Muffler Sound?

Old 02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
71redskin
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i listened to some mufflers that sounded superb and doesn't get mentioned very much called spintech...check their website. may be the sound you're looking for although as been mentioned earlier. if you wanna turn heads get an undercar chambered or sidepipes...
Old 02-15-2006, 01:18 PM
crazywelder
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts

Sound is very personal so here is my opinion. Exhaust sound is detrmined by the engine, stock engines will sound different than a modified engine. Since the mufflers on a Vette are at the rear, the exhaust note will be totally different than a typical muscle car where the mufflers are located under the back seat with several feet of tail pipe behind them. The bends and length of those tail pipes alters the sounds most familiar to us all. I'm on my 3rd exhaust in 5 years and this ones a keeper. The first time I put on a full 2 1/2" with Dynomax mufflers, idle sounded great but they were too quiet on acceleration. Next I put on a pair of Flowmasters and they sounded good most of the time but Flowmasters have thin shells and a lot of sound escapes through the shell and into the car. Last year I installed a chambered system from Allen's Stainless Exhaust, and it is the perfect sound for me. Powerful outside but not obnoxious, and the interior is quiet. This exhaust sounds just like the old factory Vette sidepipes. But not all chambered systems are the same, there are different manufacturers and some are very loud. It all depends on how many sound deadening holes the mfr. put in the tubes. Allen's has different sound levels to choose from. The rear appearence is a lot cleaner without those big mufflers. Let me know your email address if you want pictures of my install.

Last edited by crazywelder; 02-17-2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Magnaflows and they are great - mellow at idle, they purr when cruising and they roar at wide open. I think another factor to the great sound is that I also have headers and true dual 2.5" exhaust. I think it is safe to say that stock exhaust manifolds would not sound as good.

Quick Reply: Best Muffler Sound?