'78 carpet on door panels

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:09 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,536 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default '78 carpet on door panels

I have a '78 Pace Car and would lile to replace the carpet but want to keep my original door panels. Can the carpet be replaced on the door panel or do you need to buy new door panels when doing carpet? I really prefer retaining the panels, but by looking at it looks like you can't easily remove the carpet pieces on the door and storage pouch.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:37 PM
Scottys78
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same problem and I ended up replacing the door panels
Old 03-01-2006, 05:05 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the carpet in bad shape on the door panels? If not you can dye them. I have an 81 with the carpet on the door panels and I used the dye from Mid-America. Turned out great - blends right in with my new interior carpet.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:34 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

I helped my friend change the carpet in his '79 a few months ago.
He ended up very, very carefully cutting the old carpet off the doorpanels than we used the 3M spray adhesive to glue the replaacement carpet panels back on the door panel
Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took my door panels into an upholstery shop and asked could they do that. It was an easy thing for him to do and I had it back about a week later. I think it cost about 60 bucks but it's been awhile and I was in England at the time. The only problem I had was his line of stiches were different than the original ones. From 3 feet away probably noone but me and the other NCRS judges would have noticed. Up close the stitches were a slightly different size and the thread was a little different color and texture. I put the car through several judged events after that and nobody ever said anything but it bothered me until I sold the car. For this car I bought new panels. The fit of them bothers me more than the wrong stiches ever did. Next time I'll find another shop and make sure they can match the stitch pattern and style exactly.

Bill
Old 03-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Syco79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
Is the carpet in bad shape on the door panels? If not you can dye them. I have an 81 with the carpet on the door panels and I used the dye from Mid-America. Turned out great - blends right in with my new interior carpet.
Does the dye hold up good? I have heard when you dye carpet like that it rubs off and can make a mess. Im interested in doing this as well my car has been sitting without carpet for 2 weeks while I try and decide what to do hehe.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:22 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I am going to talk to the Al Knoch folks at Chevy Vettefest and see if I could ship the panels or bring them to Bloomington Gold and see if they could do it if I buy the carpet as well. I am hoping they can. That way I keep my original panels and hopefully save a bundle and get the new carpet.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:35 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Syco79
Does the dye hold up good? I have heard when you dye carpet like that it rubs off and can make a mess. Im interested in doing this as well my car has been sitting without carpet for 2 weeks while I try and decide what to do hehe.
I laid new interior carpet and replaced the boards and carpet on the tunnel (center console). I did not replace the carpet on the door or down by the two outer kick plates (air vents). I used the correct color dye from Mid-America - and it blended right in with no problems. Looks great, feels great and I have had no problems at all. I have an 81 with medium red interior - here is a picture:
Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I think I may give that a try. I have heard you need to brush the carpet some after dying to soften it. The upside is that I can replace the carpet for about $230 and dye the door carpet. Saves me about $700. I can always replace them later if it doesn't work out.

Get notified of new replies

To '78 carpet on door panels

Quick Reply: '78 carpet on door panels