Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to remove rear window tint ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:29 PM
vettic
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove rear window tint ?

The rear window has nasty, blueish, peeling film on it that I would really like to get off. It really hurts visibility and makes the car look trashed...

The problem is the defogger lines.. I really don't want to damage them in any way while Im taking the tint off.

What is the best way to remove the old tint? Is taking the winow out mandatory? Can I use a razor blade to scrape of the old film without damaging the defroster lines? If so how? Go in between the lines only?

Thanks in adavance,

Igor

Last edited by vettic; 03-14-2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Lotus76
Pro

My son's Z28 has the same issue...
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
87bob
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by vettic
The rear window has nasty, blueish, peeling film on it that I would really like to get off. It really hurts visibility and makes the car look trashed...

The problem is the defogger lines.. I really don't want to damage them in any way while Im taking the tint off.

What is the best way to remove the old tint? Is taking the winow out mandatory? Can I use a razor blade to scrape of the old film without damaging the defroster lines? If so how? Go in between the lines only?

Thanks in adavance,

Igor
I just did mine I sprayed it with amonia and water solution and covered it with a black trash bag. I let it set for a couple hours checking about every 30 minutes keeping it very wet between the bag and film. I used a plain single edge razor blade in the corner to get it started. Then I sprayed the residue with the solution and gentle rubbed it untill all came off. It took me about an hour of actual time to remove the fillm. Not to bad of a job just take your time and be careful of the defroster lines.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:45 PM
black77c3vett
Instructor

Default tinted trouble

My friends and I tinted a bunch of cars in high school that were way "too dark" for the law; 3 coats of limo black on the back, 2 on the sides, and 6" strip on the front. . So, we got some pretty good practice removing tint. if you can get a corner started, use heavy-duty glass cleaner (like the GM spray stuff), Keep it wet, and pull. To get all the little stuff off, we used kitchen-grade scotchbright pads. Remember, keep it wet, everything works better lubricated
Old 03-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Gary79
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a plastic razor blade and a heat gun. get a corner started then move the heat gun in front off you and keep pulling. the residue left behind can be a real PITA. I used Dupont 3812s enamel reducer, put some plastic down to cover your carpet, you don't want solvent dripping on your carpet, etc.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:55 AM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Ammonia solution is what I've heard from my body shop friends.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:42 PM
Burnt71
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default how to remove rear window tint ?

A rock or a crowbar should do it.

Get notified of new replies

To how to remove rear window tint ?

Quick Reply: how to remove rear window tint ?