Sponsored by:

Any PA guys have antique license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I got my classic tags because State Farm wouldn't give me the classic insurance rate without them.

I have had a personalize tag (CORVETE) since 1988. I wanted to transfer it to the 75 but State Farm wanted me to have regular insurance.

Yesterday at Carlisle I stopped by Grundy Insurance booth to see what their program is. They told me it didn't matter what tag I had with their insurance. I also found out with them what value you insure for is what you get if the car is stolen, burnt, or demo. My current insurance what it thought my value is isn't what they will pay.

I think I am going to change.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:54 PM
LGHTSPD
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frostbitten09
how can they prove this that you drove yoru car more then one day aweek. It would be that cops word against yours, and you could fight saying that cop just doesnt like the fact you have a vette... They cant honestly inforce that..... They woudlnt have that much proof would they?
Most police officers, I am one, really don't go out looking for this violation unless it is rubbed in our face, like if someone drives daily. I'm a gearhead, have a 69 BB, and most of my co-workers are gearheads. frostbitten09, it is attitudes like yours that draws police to enforce these laws. Actually it's quite easy to prove, we use in car cameras with date/time stamps on the video. The old "the cop just doesn't like the fact that I have a vette" defense is

I decided on a vanity tag for my Corvette because it has no restrictions. Yes, I have to get it inspected yearly but will never have to get an emissions test. The PA emissions program only effects cars 1975 or newer. I also consider the yearly inspection well worth the inconvenience. Antique and Classic tags have the benefit of a one time registration fee with the use restrictions as the trade-off. Why abuse a program, pick the plate that suits how often you want to drive.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:49 PM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got classic plates last year. I would have preferred antique plates but my understanding was it could not be driven at night. Although I do not drive it much, I didn't want to take a chance on being pulled over at night. Pa does not do a very good job of explaining what is lawful and what in unlawful in regards to antique plates. Dept of Motor Vehicles told me flat out I could not drive the car at night with antique plates. The local township police are ****** when they are behind the wheel of the police crusier. As for state inspections, I come to the conclusion that another set of eyes looking over the car to make sure it is safe is not all that bad and it cost only $20.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:31 PM
SULLY_PA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went on the Penna site and that is where I got the info

This is the regulation for classic and antique

USE OF ANTIQUE AND CLASSIC REGISTRATION PLATES

The use of antique and classic plates is governed by Section 1340 of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code which states: “It is
unlawful for any person to operate a motorcycle or vehicle with antique and classic registration plates for general daily
transportation. Permitted use shall be limited to participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, occasional
transportation and similar uses.” Occasional transportation and similar uses is defined as one day a week.

#2 is about inspections for both ...It seems to say that all classic and antiques are exempt from emissions

INSPECTION

Classic vehicles are subject to an annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise
and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code but must have their original
lighting equipment. Antique vehicles are not subject to the annual vehicle safety inspection. Antique and classic vehicles
are not subject to emissions inspection.

Directly from the fact sheet http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...ets/fs-ant.pdf

I don't see anything pertaining to night driving anymore..as long as you have modern lighting I guess....or any mileage restriction.

Hope this helps people thinking about it
Old 04-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Call the State Police barracks. They tell you about the night driving.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:21 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jughead
Call the State Police barracks. They tell you about the night driving.
Did you call? If so, what did they tell you?

"Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code but must have their original lighting equipment."
I read this numerous times before applying for a new plate. I interpreted it as an antique car can be driven after sunset with lights; however, Penn DOT said otherwise. If the car is driven after sunset, it will need lights and the lighting system must be inspected by a licensed garage/mechanic. I don't see why they do not clarify this.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by mandm1200
Did you call? If so, what did they tell you?

"Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code but must have their original lighting equipment."
I read this numerous times before applying for a new plate. I interpreted it as an antique car can be driven after sunset with lights; however, Penn DOT said otherwise. If the car is driven after sunset, it will need lights and the lighting system must be inspected by a licensed garage/mechanic. I don't see why they do not clarify this.

Yes, I called, but don't take my word for it...call yourself. They don't bite too hard.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:04 PM
jerrylee
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pa...

anyone know a pa. shop that's lenient on emissions..i'm in new york but i was thinking of registering her in pa. were my girl lives so i can save money.....i'm running straight duals with no cats,so i need a little help...thanx...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:44 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Donnybrooke
I have antique plates on mine. Pennsylvania never updates anything. The no driving after dark thing was for old cars with a 6 volt system. They state that you are only to use the car going to a show or club event. They are not to be used for daily transportation. You will really only have a problem if someone would report you. I have had mine for 9 years with no problems. I have the purple plate which they do not issue anymore. The new plates have a model T ford on them.
I just put antique plates on mine this year. I've had half a dozen people ask me about the night driving thing. As long as the car has modern headlights it can be driven at night. I would have prefered the purple plate, I think the Model T ones are dumb.

Quick Reply: Any PA guys have antique license plate?