Headlight out of sync

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 10:14 AM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Default Headlight out of sync

On my 73, when I turn on the headlights, the right side comes up 1-2 seconds ahead of the left? Should they be in sync? Also, they won't come up unless the engine is running, either with the main headlight switch, or the maintenance switch. I thought I read somewhere that the actuators should hold enough vacuum to raise them once or twice without engine vacuum.

Any advise on how they should behave? Is my current behavior a sign of troubles to come?

thanks,
-patrick
Old 04-24-2006, 11:09 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen any of them come up at the same time, even from the factory. I wouldn't worry about it.
I can raise and lower mine about one time after the engine shuts off, but only in the first 15 seconds or so. After that, air seeps back into the system. Most of the time, you need the engine running for the vacuum...

I'd look for other things to work on, or do some polishing...
Old 04-24-2006, 11:16 AM
gq82
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You have a vac leak(s). My headlights both come up at the same time and I have vac reserve for about 15-20 minutes.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM
C3 RV
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

For mine:

Engine on: Right then left (boom boom) in quick succession.
Engine off: Right goes right up and the left only makes it partway up.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:38 AM
mdj21
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm in the process of working on the headlights on my 73.

the left side would always take about 3 or 4 seconds longer to come up than the right side and the right side would always close faster than the left.

i got them to close at the same time by replacing the seals on the actuators. the right one had a tear in it and it allowed it to close faster than the left one.

i think the problem with the left one taking so long to raise is due to fact that it is missing two of the springs. i have new springs for both head lights comming and i think this will solve the problem.

i also have a vacuum leak somewhere. i know my vacuum relays need to be replaced, but i've already blown my vette money for the month. they work, but they leak. maybe next month i will see if replacing the relays will fix the problem or if i have some more leaks elseware.

check out corvette-101.com. they have a good section on vacuum trouble shooting.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:49 AM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gq82
You have a vac leak(s). My headlights both come up at the same time and I have vac reserve for about 15-20 minutes.

Is it the same/similar in both directions? If so, I's suspect the relay (or it's plumbing circuit) on the slow light. Swap relays and see if the problem moves. If so, you've got your culprit. If not, it could still be a leak between to the relay and door motor or between the relay and switch (Not sure how the twin relays are plumbed. My 68 only has one) or between the relay and door motor (or reserve cannister, for that matter).

If it's not the same in both directions, I'd suspect the door motor seals.

Get yourself a mity vac or some other source of vacuum with a gauge and test one circuit at a time. You'll turn up a slow leak somewhere.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:47 PM
CheezMoe
Melting Slicks

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13,'19-'20

Thanks for the tips guy's. I'll check for a vacuum leak this weekend, starting on the slow side.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight out of sync

Quick Reply: Headlight out of sync