Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baltimore/Maryland C3 Vette Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baltimore/Maryland C3 Vette Owners...

I visited a couple clubs and I get the general feeling that the clubs around me are catered to C5/C6 owners. Not that I have anything against that, but as a C3 owner, Id like to have more "peers".

Has anyone thought of starting a C3 club?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:18 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Jerry
it's the same pretty much everywhere.
in our club here in Delware the vast majarity of members have C4/C5/C6 cars although there ARE a number of C1/C2/C3 owners also but C5's are by far the majority.

keep in mind the older generations are somewhat rarer and in much smaller numbers so it's going to be normal to find more cars therefore more club members owning the newer generation cars.
besides, I think it takes a special type of person to put up with a older classic car and the associated issues, higher maintainance, etc rather than a new car.
we are a rare breed, just like our cars so be proud of it
Old 04-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

Barry, where abouts in Deleware are you. Id like to see your C2. What year is that?

Ive had the priveledge to see Chuck Gongloff's 63 vert. Im currently trying to get him to adopt me so I can inherit it.

It would be nice if we could have a tri-state meet and greet cruise and get some food.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:00 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

yep mason dixion club is the one you are looking for
Old 04-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Jerry,

As mentioned, most of the NCCC clubs are going to be C4s thru C6s. If you are interested in the more vintage vehicles you will see more of them at NCRS meets. Its sad to say, but the newer Vettes have changed the landscape of the Corvette Clubs in this area. I love my '69, and probably will never get rid of it, but my '01 vert is much more comfortable to do things with.

If I am just cruising around town on a nice summer evening, you'll more than likely find me in the '69. If I have a bunch of miles to put on to get to where I need to be it probably will be in the '01.

Chuck is a good friend of mine so you will have to get in line for the '63 fuelie! BTW, that line is a lot longer than you might realize. Chuck and I ran an Economy Run (which you don't see anymore) about 15 years ago in his 63 and we had a great time trying to stretch the gas mileage on the fuelie, especially with 4.11 gears.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 PM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Balt/MD C2-C3 owners

Jerry, Barry, Nowhere & Rich,

Would love to join your new club.

Purchased a Red 72 LS5 Coupe about a year ago that is finally becoming road worthy. Perhaps we can get together for a cruise or 2 this season. I know a couple of guys who also have C3's in the area.

One suggestion is the weekly Friday nite Muscle Car gathering on Rt. 22 in Churchville in the Gardiner's Furniture parking lot. There are tons of car shows (not necessarily limited to Corvettes) all summer long.

Feel free to e-mail me at rawegner@comcast.net. I am in the Abingdon/Bel Air area.

Rickman
Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jerry Curl
Barry, where abouts in Deleware are you. Id like to see your C2. What year is that?

Ive had the priveledge to see Chuck Gongloff's 63 vert. Im currently trying to get him to adopt me so I can inherit it.

It would be nice if we could have a tri-state meet and greet cruise and get some food.
Jerry
I'm in Newark, DE
my C2 is a '65 and my C3 is a '78
You can find lots of pics of both cars on my website (click on my name to the left above my avatar and than click on to visit my website). In the website choose "Corvette pages" than choose which car you want.

You are welcome to take a cruise up to Delaware anytime if you want to see it in person.

Yes, Chucks '63 fuelie is a beautiful car and I've drooled over the fenders while looking at it a number of times!
Same on his '54 and his '69.
All three cars are mutliple Top-Flight cars so no surprised they are beautiful cars!!

Jerry & Rich, sorry, I'll take everyone out with extreme prejudice that tries to get in line in front of me for ANY of Chucks Vettes!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:51 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I visited a couple clubs and I get the general feeling that the clubs around me are catered to C5/C6 owners. Not that I have anything against that, but as a C3 owner, Id like to have more "peers".

Hey guys - Not so fast - I don't know what clubs you checked out but NCCC Chesapeake Corvette Club of Baltimore has C1's through C5s (one member is getting a C6 next week). So Jerry my advice to you before you give up on Baltimore is to check us out first. We are a small club only around 35 or so members and at last count we have more C2s and C3s than we do C4s or C5s (of course I cheat and have one of each )
Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

FWIW, I'll chime in. Thanks to Scott and Barry for the kind words about my cars.

Virtually all of the NCCC clubs are dominated by C4-5-6's. Why? They're the latest "thing". We have a number of C1-2-3 owners in my Bel Air CC, but MOST are newer.

I enjoy tremendously my NCCC club. LOTS of friends. LOTS of nice social events.

NCRS caters "more" to the older car crowd. In our area, we have the Mason Dixon Chapter, the Mid Atlantic Chapter, and the Delaware Valley Chapter. Further away is the Central New Jersey Chapter.

MOST NCRS clubs cater more to the old Corvette owner, and most NCRS "guys" are amateur mechanics, restorers, etc, NOT just guys who bought a new Corvette.

I just sold my 2000 convertible earlier this week. LOVED that car but rarely drove it.

Wouldn't think of selling the 63 or 69, BUT I'm going to sell the 54 this year. TOO many cars, NOT enough time, PLUS,

I'm retiring in 3 years and moving to Florida. Can't take 'em all with me. Chuck
Old 04-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Rich427
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

Chuck,

Sorry to hear the banana boat has pulled out of Dodge , but I have a feeling that Mr. G has got a few cards he has not played yet. With the '00 gone and the '54 half way out the door, I think there may be a master plan here and he hasn't told the other half. Could there be a '62 somewhere in the future? I also know that your mouth waters every time you see a decent '37 Chevy Coupe.

Now, I know that the '63 and '69 will be in doors when you get to Florida, but there is always a way around the garage size on the new house. You maybe a big guy, but I know that you are not moving yourself to Florida. So, just have the movers throw the lift in the truck too . And if you are really going to buy an acre of ground down there, make sure you design the house with at least a 3 car garage and enough ceiling height to handle the lift, or two, or three! Man, if you got back into those little British cars, you could put a dozen or so in this setup.

In fact, since our new house is done down there, if you want to borrow our plans, you certainly are welcome to them. If I can fit the house and a 4 car on 1/3 of an acre, I promise you that, it, or something like it, will surely fit on an acre.

PS: Give me a call when you get a chance, need to gab about history on my '69.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM
Terrordome
Instructor

I live in Annapolis and I feel the same way you do Jerry. A friend of mine recently picked up a C4 and joined a club and loves it, yet I had to remind him that I have a C3 and would not fit in. Let me know if you ever want to cruise.

Glenn
Old 04-28-2006, 01:06 PM
sweethence
Le Mans Master

Location: Wilmington DE, Drive it like you stole it, 68 327 4 speed coupe
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryK
Jerry
I'm in Newark, DE
my C2 is a '65 and my C3 is a '78
You can find lots of pics of both cars on my website (click on my name to the left above my avatar and than click on to visit my website). In the website choose "Corvette pages" than choose which car you want.

You are welcome to take a cruise up to Delaware anytime if you want to see it in person.

Yes, Chucks '63 fuelie is a beautiful car and I've drooled over the fenders while looking at it a number of times!
Same on his '54 and his '69.
All three cars are mutliple Top-Flight cars so no surprised they are beautiful cars!!

Jerry & Rich, sorry, I'll take everyone out with extreme prejudice that tries to get in line in front of me for ANY of Chucks Vettes!

Newark DE, Ill have to pop over next time im on town, Lived on benny st for a while near UD

Stone baloon still open? how about that place on ther corner near the tracks as you head out ot town look like an old railroad house or something

See ya in DE

tim
Old 04-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sweethence
Newark DE, Ill have to pop over next time im on town, Lived on benny st for a while near UD

Stone baloon still open? how about that place on ther corner near the tracks as you head out ot town look like an old railroad house or something

See ya in DE

tim
Deer Park Tavern? Don't ask how I know.

Far as I know, the Stone Balloon is still open too. Chuck
Old 04-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Jerry, funny you should mention this, we here in St. Louis area had the same discussion about a year ago. We then started our own club without all the that typically comes with clubs we all have been involved with.

Our charter is:

To promote the awareness and passion of the Corvette C3 Shark and to
preserve its Muscle Car mystique.

* No Dues
* No Elected Officers (Volunteers Welcome)
* No By Laws
* No Sponsors
* No C1's, C2's, C4's C5's or C6's

Ours is a non-structured but functional social club whose sole purpose is to share technical information and to establish social connections with C3 Shark owners.

Check out our Yahoo site:http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/stlc3sharks/

and the Home Page:
http://www.stlc3sharks.com/

We are planning a C3 Shark Show on May 7th. For those of you in the area, drop by if you can. Details on the Home Page.

Bullshark
Old 04-28-2006, 06:03 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by sweethence

See ya in DE

tim
Tim

you are welcome anytime.
I'm about 10-15 minutes away from the college on the edge of town over on the border by Pike Creek and Hockessin.

Nope, the Stone Ballon closed up maybe 6 months or so ago but the other place, as Chuck has already guessed, is The Deer Park Tavern, is still alive and well - I think that place will outlive all of us!
Old 04-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BarryK
Tim

you are welcome anytime.
I'm about 10-15 minutes away from the college on the edge of town over on the border by Pike Creek and Hockessin.

Nope, the Stone Ballon closed up maybe 6 months or so ago but the other place, as Chuck has already guessed, is The Deer Park Tavern, is still alive and well - I think that place will outlive all of us!
My daughter went to college at the University of Delaware. She's a "Fightin' Blue Hen".

Spent many a day in Newark, back when Newark was still a small college town.

Klondike Kate's was another "hangout". The Stone Balloon used to get some relatively big name acts. I remember Peter Frampton playing there.

AND, it "New Wark" Delaware, NOT "Newerk" (like New Jersey) Chuck
Old 04-28-2006, 06:37 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Chuck Gongloff
My daughter went to college at the University of Delaware. She's a "Fightin' Blue Hen".

Spent many a day in Newark, back when Newark was still a small college town.

Klondike Kate's was another "hangout". The Stone Balloon used to get some relatively big name acts. I remember Peter Frampton playing there.

AND, it "New Wark" Delaware, NOT "Newerk" (like New Jersey) Chuck
When I went to U of D I spent many hours of my life between Klondike Kates and Deer Park.......

Yep, The Stone Ballon used to get a lot of big names in there - their closing was a pretty big deal in town. It was never one of my hang-outs though. I think in walked inside once for all of about 5 minutes.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just picked up another member with a C3 in our club. We have a good mix of all year vettes. Like I stated before all you locals in the Baltimore area that want to join a club that does a lot of road trips, cruise-ins and local car shows should check us out at: http://mysite.verizon.net/IrishJoker/index.html
Old 05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
djgrelli
Racer

My wife an myself are in the process of joining a local Corvette Club and should be voted in this Friday Night. Before you get voted in you have to attend two meetings and two events. Thought it was a pretty good idea that way you get to know some of the people before you commit yourself. We completed our 2nd event yesterday. It was a cruise to Longwood Gardens and dinner at Michael's afterwards. There were about 30 cars and with the exception of a 65 I was the only C3. The club members are all wonderful people and I got all kinds of compliments on my 78. Looking forward to many years of cruisin. Who knows, might just buy a C5 (auto) so the wife can drive.

Get notified of new replies

To Baltimore/Maryland C3 Vette Owners...

Quick Reply: Baltimore/Maryland C3 Vette Owners...