Sponsored by:

starter question - inline vs staggered

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:50 AM
7Deuce
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question - inline vs staggered

I purchased the following starter from summit based upon the search engine at their website telling me it would fit my application (1972 350ci)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Stupid me didn't bother to actually get under the car to inspect the bolt pattern I had. Turns out the starter I have uses a staggered bolt pattern, not inline like the one I bought.

Summit website does say the starter I purchased is for 153 and 168 tooth flywheels. I'm wondering if gm blocks are drilled and tapped for both mounting applications? I'm to lazy to unbolt my old starter to check. If they are, can I just bolt up the starter that I purchased without any other modifications besides shimming it? Or is it just going to be easier to send back this one and get the offset starter?

Appreciate any input.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:28 PM
TJefferson2020
Race Director

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Rx
I purchased the following starter from summit based upon the search engine at their website telling me it would fit my application (1972 350ci)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Stupid me didn't bother to actually get under the car to inspect the bolt pattern I had. Turns out the starter I have uses a staggered bolt pattern, not inline like the one I bought.

Summit website does say the starter I purchased is for 153 and 168 tooth flywheels. I'm wondering if gm blocks are drilled and tapped for both mounting applications? I'm to lazy to unbolt my old starter to check. If they are, can I just bolt up the starter that I purchased without any other modifications besides shimming it? Or is it just going to be easier to send back this one and get the offset starter?

Appreciate any input.
My understanding is that either it's drilled for inline OR offset - there are starters that work for either - I'm going to be replacing mine too but first I'm going to pull my old starter because I can't remember which it is.

Get under there and git 'er done!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:38 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,874 Likes on 912 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

The block is drilled for both an angled (168 tooth) and straight (153 tooth) patterns. The mini starters fit both by having two sets of holes drilled straight. They move the starter over to fit the larger flywheel. No problem it will fit. You can also "reclock" the better ones by unbolting the rear plate and pivoting the starter into any positiomn you need...upside down even to clear headers etc.

JIM

Get notified of new replies

To starter question - inline vs staggered

Quick Reply: starter question - inline vs staggered