Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech Sponsored by
Corvette America

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2006, 05:30 PM   #1
cdalemx301
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Default 82 Fuel Pump

I have an 82 Vette and need to replace the fuel pump it seems to me the pump itself is bigger then the opening to remove it through in the body...Is there any easy way to do this? As I do not want to scratch the paint or damage the vehicle in the process...Is it required to replace the sending unit at the same time? This car has been sitting for a few years now and it is believed to be the fuel pump is the problem...Thanks for the help
cdalemx301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
jdp6000
CF Senior Member
 
jdp6000's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Aurora Ontario
Default

This the best place to ask. http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

Its tight but will come through that hole. It will take some twisting and turning.

Jim
jdp6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #3
terry82
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: columbia city in
Default

it will come out .nows the time to change over to the 85 pump .go to the cross-fire forum for details.
terry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
cdalemx301
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Default

85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift...As I know he loves this car but is not mechanicly inclined enough to diagnose and fix it himself...What are the benifits to the 85 pump...crossfire forums? Is that on this site or is it another site?
cdalemx301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:33 AM   #5
Steve COSD
CF Senior Member
 
Steve COSD's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdalemx301
I have an 82 Vette and need to replace the fuel pump it seems to me the pump itself is bigger then the opening to remove it through in the body...Is there any easy way to do this? As I do not want to scratch the paint or damage the vehicle in the process...Is it required to replace the sending unit at the same time? This car has been sitting for a few years now and it is believed to be the fuel pump is the problem...Thanks for the help
Check your fuses first! To remove the fuel pump out of the fuel door follow this process. If you have really nice paint you will need to protect it. First polish the paint with a high quality wax. Next remove the entire fuel door. Around the door opening use a 2 inch masking tape all around the opening. Get some of the thicker sheet plastic and make a hole in it the size of the door opening. You may want to double up on the plastic. Tape the opening in the plastic to the area you used masking tape previously but now use 2 inch wide duct tape. I would double up on the duct tape around the opening just for extra paint protection. The reason you want to polish the area first is it will help when it comes time to remove the tapes. The reason you want to use masking tape before the duct tape is it will come off easier. Now you are ready to remove the fuel pump. you will need to disconnect the fuel lines and the wires. After all the bolts have been removed the pump will come up and out with a slight turning of the pump assembly. As far as the sending unit is concerned if you have the funds now is the time to do this. Some things can wear out just by sitting around. You can test the sending unit when you have it out of the car just by connecting the wires and turning the ignition to on and moving the float arm up and down and watching the gas gauge through the rear window. Make sure to replace the filter at the bottom of the sender unit. Be sure to get one that is exactly the same. Your local Chevrolet dealer should have this part that is sometimes called a sock.
Good Luck
Steve
Steve COSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
pcfred
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05
 
pcfred's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Riverside Ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COSD
Check your fuses first! To remove the fuel pump out of the fuel door follow this process. If you have really nice paint you will need to protect it. First polish the paint with a high quality wax. Next remove the entire fuel door. Around the door opening use a 2 inch masking tape all around the opening. Get some of the thicker sheet plastic and make a hole in it the size of the door opening. You may want to double up on the plastic. Tape the opening in the plastic to the area you used masking tape previously but now use 2 inch wide duct tape. I would double up on the duct tape around the opening just for extra paint protection. The reason you want to polish the area first is it will help when it comes time to remove the tapes. The reason you want to use masking tape before the duct tape is it will come off easier. Now you are ready to remove the fuel pump. you will need to disconnect the fuel lines and the wires. After all the bolts have been removed the pump will come up and out with a slight turning of the pump assembly. As far as the sending unit is concerned if you have the funds now is the time to do this. Some things can wear out just by sitting around. You can test the sending unit when you have it out of the car just by connecting the wires and turning the ignition to on and moving the float arm up and down and watching the gas gauge through the rear window. Make sure to replace the filter at the bottom of the sender unit. Be sure to get one that is exactly the same. Your local Chevrolet dealer should have this part that is sometimes called a sock.
Good Luck
Steve

So there you go, Steve laid out perfect instructions, not hard to do but take your time. I did mine last year and also changed the rubber fuel lines while I was in there. The problem I was trying to solve turned out not to be a bad pump BUT man what a difference in performance with the new pump, filter, and hoses. Older pumps don't keep the correct pressure so when you replace one you WILL see a difference.
pcfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
bluesilver82
CF Senior Member
 
bluesilver82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2006
Location: St Augustine FL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve COSD
Check your fuses first! To remove the fuel pump out of the fuel door follow this process. If you have really nice paint you will need to protect it. First polish the paint with a high quality wax. Next remove the entire fuel door. Around the door opening use a 2 inch masking tape all around the opening. Get some of the thicker sheet plastic and make a hole in it the size of the door opening. You may want to double up on the plastic. Tape the opening in the plastic to the area you used masking tape previously but now use 2 inch wide duct tape. I would double up on the duct tape around the opening just for extra paint protection. The reason you want to polish the area first is it will help when it comes time to remove the tapes. The reason you want to use masking tape before the duct tape is it will come off easier. Now you are ready to remove the fuel pump. you will need to disconnect the fuel lines and the wires. After all the bolts have been removed the pump will come up and out with a slight turning of the pump assembly. As far as the sending unit is concerned if you have the funds now is the time to do this. Some things can wear out just by sitting around. You can test the sending unit when you have it out of the car just by connecting the wires and turning the ignition to on and moving the float arm up and down and watching the gas gauge through the rear window. Make sure to replace the filter at the bottom of the sender unit. Be sure to get one that is exactly the same. Your local Chevrolet dealer should have this part that is sometimes called a sock.
Good Luck
Steve




However, It is recommended that you disconnect the battery ground (negative) cable first just in case you get an electrical short or Arc when disconnecting the wiring harness. You do not want any kind of spark when removing the sending unit.

I just removed my sending unit in my 82 night before last. It is not difficult. The fuel pump is on the end of the sending unit and comes off easy. When you connect the new fuel pump make sure you don not get the wires crossed. If you do get the wires crossed my suspicion is that the pump may run backwards or may not run at all. Pay attention and mark the wires if need be.

The pumps at the dealerships are expensive. I ordered a DELCO pump and fuel sock from a place called the Last Detail in Atlanta. It is actually a fuel pump for an 84 but it is DELCO and it comes with a better wiring harness. American Corvette in Powder Springs GA has complete ( pump, sock float, filler neck and all) sending units for $225.00 You may want to check them out. The Last Detail (1-888-527-8338) American Corvette (770-943-2530)
bluesilver82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
Easy Mike
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In II Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Easy Mike's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2000
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdalemx301
85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift....
Do what Dad wants -- keep the CE original.
Easy Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
terry82
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2000
Location: columbia city in
Default

the 85 pump has more pressure ,it can help with performance .but if you have 26000 miles on it, i would keep it all original .
terry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #10
jdp6000
CF Senior Member
 
jdp6000's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Aurora Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdalemx301
85 pump? Heres the deal car is all original...26,000 miles Collectors addition...My dad wants to keep it all original and he doesnt know I am fixing it I am doing this as a fathers day gift...As I know he loves this car but is not mechanicly inclined enough to diagnose and fix it himself...What are the benifits to the 85 pump...crossfire forums? Is that on this site or is it another site?

The 85 and 82 pumps look identical. The only difference is the 85 pumps at a higher psi. It will guarantee maximum pressure to the throttle bodies. The car will ide smoother and respond better on excelleration.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Jim
jdp6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:15 AM   #11
...Roger...
CF Senior Member
 
...Roger...'s Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry82
it will come out .nows the time to change over to the 85 pump .go to the cross-fire forum for details.
Where is this crossfire forum?
...Roger... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:31 AM   #12
jdp6000
CF Senior Member
 
jdp6000's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2005
Location: Aurora Ontario
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwncchs
Where is this crossfire forum?

URL for the Crossfire Forum http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/

Jim
jdp6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:48 PM   #13
...Roger...
CF Senior Member
 
...Roger...'s Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2006
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Default

Thanks Jim
...Roger... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM   #14
cdalemx301
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Default

Thanks for all the replies guys...I'm not used to working on cars haha I am a motocross racer used to working on things on a much smaller scale...I think I will go with an 82 pump from the dealer just because it will stick to its original ties the pump is only 86 bucks so im not to worried about it I just want to get this thing running last time it was driven i had my LP i remember driving it home from drivers ed...I will be 21 in 2 months so I know he will be happy to see it running again

Last edited by cdalemx301; 06-07-2006 at 10:55 PM.
cdalemx301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:53 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page 82 Fuel Pump
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel pump for 82' shelby82 C3 Tech/Performance 3 05-26-2014 08:33 AM
82 fuel pump replacement leebay C3 Tech/Performance 8 09-13-2013 05:58 PM
82 fuel pump Stuelke C3 Tech/Performance 7 07-06-2011 06:54 AM
Voltage at fuel pump question mowens16 C3 General 5 10-03-2005 09:09 PM
Help with fuel pump upgrade on an 82 ... Skyhigh82 C3 Tech/Performance 2 09-26-2003 03:40 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Emails & Password Backup