C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 08:59 PM
bextreme1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??

I was at a car cruise the other night and overheard someone saying that he thought Vettes were "Blue Collar". Well, for one I am not Blue Collar but it did start me thinking...what percentage of vette owners do you think are blue collar?? Thoughts??
Old 08-06-2006, 09:03 PM
mkflanagan
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you mean your mot blue collar?Where you born rich?That sounds like a snooty,greater than thou remark."Well,I for one am not blue collar".My thoughts are that it doesn't matter.we all love vettews and who cares what we do for a living.So are you gonna sell your c3 now since there "Blue collar" and you,for one,are not?

Last edited by mkflanagan; 08-06-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:04 PM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

No, it's not meant to be snooty. I just meant I own a vette and am not blue collar. I work in computers. It was not meant in any bad way. I will say that people are getting awfully sensitive around here lately.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Not sure about my collar, depends on what day it is but I KNOW my neck is RED!
Old 08-06-2006, 09:06 PM
JungleCat
Safety Car

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Doesn't matter to me either way. I don't own my Vette for either reason.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:08 PM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mkflanagan
What do you mean your mot blue collar?Where you born rich?That sounds like a snooty,greater than thou remark."Well,I for one am not blue collar".My thoughts are that it doesn't matter.we all love vettews and who cares what we do for a living.So are you gonna sell your c3 now since there "Blue collar" and you,for one,are not?
You are really getting ridiculous! It's just a simple question with nothing bad meant. I was just curious but I can see you have no patience for people asking questions you don't like. If you're not curious about the answers, move on to something that does interest you. THis place is getting stupid!!! Oh, and I am NOT going to sell my vette!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 08-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

...I work in Asphalt. Does this make me "black collar"???
Old 08-06-2006, 09:17 PM
koni9
Instructor

I used to be blue collar. (Automotive Production) I went to school and got my engineering degree and now I am running the plant.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:19 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

It depends on your definition of Blue Collar. Blue Collar or Red Neck is usually meant to describe the working class of people. And under this definition I would have to strongly say yes the C-3 is mainly owned by Blue Collar people. But it is just a sign of the times really. As the C-3 at this time is the most affordable Corvette a person can own and work on themselves with out too much trouble. Go back to around 1987 it would have been the C-2 and further back about 1978-1982 it would have been the C-1.

I would also like to add that for this reason the forum is so great. As many people on this forum as you would call Blue Collar or Red Neck work on there own cars and use the forum to not only find information but to help others to not only maintain there car but for upgrades to make it better and keep the cost down for the Corvette Enthusiast.

Last edited by SHAKERATTLEROLL; 08-06-2006 at 09:22 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Borowski
...I work in Asphalt. Does this make me "black collar"???

Paul, you are "true blue" collar! And you own 4 (or 5?) corvettes.... case proved!

I have met all kinds of vette owners. My dentist owns a 67. hmmmm.. come to think of it I know another dentist that owns several vettes If you ran the stats, you might find that blue collar workers are over represented amongst vette owners. I bet if you did an income distribution (forget about color of collar) you would find that on average the highest incomes own the newest and oldest vettes, with the lowest incomes owning the rubber bumper sharks.... now why do you think that is? (DUH!)

As long as we are generalizing, I have noticed that black people are under-represented in vette ownership. Not totally absent, but definitely under-represented.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by PRNDL
Paul, you are "true blue" collar! And you own 4 (or 5?) corvettes.... case proved!

I have met all kinds of vette owners. My dentist owns a 67. hmmmm.. come to think of it I know another dentist that owns several vettes If you ran the stats, you might find that blue collar workers are over represented amongst vette owners. I bet if you did an income distribution (forget about color of collar) you would find that on average the highest incomes own the newest and oldest vettes, with the lowest incomes owning the rubber bumper sharks.... now why do you think that is? (DUH!)

As long as we are generalizing, I have noticed that black people are under-represented in vette ownership. Not totally absent, but definitely under-represented.
"WHATCHYOUTALKINBOUTWILLIS"
Old 08-06-2006, 09:27 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

my bumpers are fiberglass....detroit WHAT!!!

i can't even afford a shirt to have a collar so i walk around with an invisible silk tie.....

b
Old 08-06-2006, 09:28 PM
bextreme1
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by PRNDL

Let's see, I know 2 cops and 1 fireman who own C6's and a construction worker who owns a C5 and we all know they don't have incredibly high incomes. And, I know people like myself who own rubber bumper cars and make more than 100k. So your logic is flawed. Actually, the demographic for the newer vettes are people over 50. Look it up.

Sorry I posted the thread, as it's become impossible on this forum to just get people's opinions without the bashing. I hope you enjoyed yourself.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:32 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Again

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
It depends on your definition of Blue Collar. Blue Collar or Red Neck is usually meant to describe the working class of people. And under this definition I would have to strongly say yes the C-3 is mainly owned by Blue Collar people. But it is just a sign of the times really. As the C-3 at this time is the most affordable Corvette a person can own and work on themselves with out too much trouble. Go back to around 1987 it would have been the C-2 and further back about 1978-1982 it would have been the C-1.

I would also like to add that for this reason the forum is so great. As many people on this forum as you would call Blue Collar or Red Neck work on there own cars and use the forum to not only find information but to help others to not only maintain there car but for upgrades to make it better and keep the cost down for the Corvette Enthusiast.
You asked and I gave a good explanation to your question. Chill Man
Old 08-06-2006, 09:58 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

I was at a car cruise the other night and overheard someone saying that he thought Vettes were "Blue Collar". Well, for one I am not Blue Collar but it did start me thinking...what percentage of vette owners do you think are blue collar?? Thoughts??

Sorry I posted the thread, as it's become impossible on this forum to just get people's opinions without the bashing. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

And you posted this in another thread. (

This place is getting ridiculous. You ask a simple question and have to listen to the sarcasm and get attacked.)

With the way you posted your question did you not think there might be some sarcasm? You have to realize that what you post is taken at word value. And so your wording on any subject has to be thought out before hand. The way you posted your question it gives out the impression that you took offense of being called a Blue Collar worker. So yes this can bring up some short hairs on a few people by sounding as if you are better than others.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I work in electrical maintenance at a nuclear power plant. I would say I am blue collar. BTW, I could not resist the lyrics below. I have always liked this STYX song.

Give me a job, give me security
Give me a chance to survive
I'm just a poor soul in the unemployment line
My God, I'm hardly alive
My mother and father, my wife and my friends
I see them laugh in my face
But I've got the power, and I've got the will
I'm not a charity case

I'll take those long nights, impossible odds
Keeping my eye to the keyhole
If it takes all that to be just what I am
Well, I'm gonna be a blue collar man

Make me an offer that I can't refuse
Make me respectable, man
This is my last time in the unemployment line
So like it or not I'll take those

Long nights, impossible odds
Keeping my back to the wall
If it takes all that to be just what I am

Keeping my mind on a better life
Where happiness is only a heartbeat away
Paradise, can it be all I heard it was
I close my eyes and maybe I'm already there

Keeping my back to the wall
All that be just what I am
You don't understand
Keeping my eye to the keyhole
If it takes all that be just who I am
Well I vow to be a blue collar, gotta be a blue collar, gonna be a Blue collar man.

Believe it
Old 08-06-2006, 10:00 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

i would think the european sports car snobs would think the vette is "blue collar" but it looks like the new Z06 is kicking their as.

Get notified of new replies

To Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??

Old 08-06-2006, 10:06 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by SHAKERATTLEROLL
The way you posted your question it gives out the impression that you took offense of being called a Blue Collar worker. So yes this can bring up some short hairs on a few people by sounding as if you are better than others.
White collar is "better" than Blue collar.

Thats why you bust your as to get a degree to be a professional.

Like you say it doesn't mean you will make more money but you will have a more "desireable" job.

and before you guys jump my shi+, because i'm being honest.

if you had a kid would you tell him to forget school and learn a trade or at least try a hand at college to be an engineer or doctor?

Last edited by turtlevette; 08-06-2006 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Crazy81
Pro

What exactly defines blue collar from whit collar? I consider myself blue collar, but I don't know if other people consider me that. I know I work allot. I do have a college education, but I'm not above doing whatever needs to be done to get jobs out the door whether I'm designing or welding, painting, tech support, national sales. Hell, I don't have a clue what I am. Just some schmuck trying to make a buck like everyone else I guess. I do know my neck is red too though.

I don't really think you can classify the Corvette as blue or white collar.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:11 PM
SHAKERATTLEROLL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Crazy81
What exactly defines blue collar from whit collar? I consider myself blue collar, but I don't know if other people consider me that. I know I work allot. I do have a college education, but I'm not above doing whatever needs to be done to get jobs out the door whether I'm designing or welding, painting, tech support, national sales. Hell, I don't have a clue what I am. Just some schmuck trying to make a buck like everyone else I guess. I do know my neck is red too though.

I don't really think you can classify the Corvette as blue or white collar.
Crazy81 are you running for public office lol.

Quick Reply: Do you think most Vette owners are Blue Collar??