Sponsored by:

BC/CC or Urethane on my 69 Vette ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 04:27 PM
ja1724
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default BC/CC or Urethane on my 69 Vette ???

Any paint experts out there? Should I use a BC/CC system on my vette or an acrylic urethane? Anybody got any pros and cons to each? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a base/clear urethane for any metallic colors, and a single stage urethane for solid colors. Just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:34 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is a very good question that I am wrestling with myself.

BC/CC (or candy, etc) look great, but what happens when you
get damage ? It's my understanding that a single stage paint
is easier to repair, blend, and buff out scratches.

I'd like to do black base with a light pearl candy over and clear over that.
Trouble is that a damaged panel probably means painting the whole car again.

I think I will stick with solid black single stage to start. I can always go
back to wetsand and spray over with candy/clear later.
I'll be doing the job myself, so I need a forgiving approach (sanding out drips/etc.).

Last edited by NHvette; 08-16-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:06 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

urethane base coat/ clear coat in whatever color your painting the car.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sb69coupe
Use a base/clear urethane for any metallic colors, and a single stage urethane for solid colors. Just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Urethane based bc/cc will always shine better then an acrylic urethane..

I spray single stage paints all day.. They're all garbage, dull within a year.. etc etc..
Old 08-16-2006, 08:22 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Corz
Urethane based bc/cc will always shine better then an acrylic urethane..

I spray single stage paints all day.. They're all garbage, dull within a year.. etc etc..
i painted mine BC/CC urethane...looks wet and deep.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:23 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ja1724
Any paint experts out there? Should I use a BC/CC system on my vette or an acrylic urethane? Anybody got any pros and cons to each? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Are you going to paint it yourself or have a professional do the job?

If you are doing it yourself, I would advise against doing a single stage urethane in a metallic color. Single stage urethane metallics should not be color sanded and buffed so you would have to live the the orange peel and imperfections.

On the other hand, solid color single-stage acryllic urethane can be color sanded and buffed nicely. Check out the pictures in my gallery of my '69. I'm not a great painter at all and it came out great. It is PPG Global single stage acryllic urethane that I color sanded and buffed. Don't believe the guy who said it's all junk and dulls after a year. There are some excellent quality ss urethanes out there. Check out my black El Camino in those photos. I used ss acryllic urethane on that too and did that job back in 1998.

If your going to have a pro do the job, I say go with the bc/cc regardless of color.

Last edited by roger55; 08-16-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:36 AM
ja1724
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by roger55
Are you going to paint it yourself or have a professional do the job?

If you are doing it yourself, I would advise against doing a single stage urethane in a metallic color. Single stage urethane metallics should not be color sanded and buffed so you would have to live the the orange peel and imperfections.

On the other hand, solid color single-stage acryllic urethane can be color sanded and buffed nicely. Check out the pictures in my gallery of my '69. I'm not a great painter at all and it came out great. It is PPG Global single stage acryllic urethane that I color sanded and buffed. Don't believe the guy who said it's all junk and dulls after a year. There are some excellent quality ss urethanes out there. Check out my black El Camino in those photos. I used ss acryllic urethane on that too and did that job back in 1998.

If your going to have a pro do the job, I say go with the bc/cc regardless of color.

Roger - I will be doing it myself and it will be solid black. So it sounds like ss urethane is the way to go. I am pretty good at spraying, but by no means an expert. This way I can color sand to the shine I want and spot fix any trouble areas. Your cars look like they came out very nice.
Why do you say bc/cc if a pro is doing the job?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Roger - I will be doing it myself and it will be solid black. So it sounds like ss urethane is the way to go. I am pretty good at spraying, but by no means an expert. This way I can color sand to the shine I want and spot fix any trouble areas. Your cars look like they came out very nice.
Why do you say bc/cc if a pro is doing the job?
I said that because a shop is not going to want to color sand and buff. Nor do you want to pay them to do that because of the extra hours involved. And, typically bc/cc will look better than ss if not color sanding and buffing it out. There might be some pros out there who can apply ss nice and flat, but most I have seen have more orange peel than clear coat bc/cc jobs.

Check out the urethane black that Southern Polyurethanes has. I've never used it, but it has a great reputation. I am going to use their products next time around.
http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com
Their site has it's own forum also.
Old 08-17-2006, 05:56 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty much firming up on SS black myself.
My buddy's 73 was painted SS black about 12 years ago.
I think it was Dupont Centari. It still looks great ... but always garaged.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:15 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Single stage solids colors will look great when buffed but the repairablity is not as easy as bc/cc. You will not be able to spot in black single stage without seeing the blend edge. You will have to paint the entire panel to get a lasting repair. The same is true for bc/cc. You can spot the color but you will have to clear the entire panel. Also depending on the environment that you are spraying in, the slower flash time of single stage will probably have more dirt and debris embedded in the paint.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM
ikwhite
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redshark6974
i painted mine BC/CC urethane...looks wet and deep.
Red what a waste of BC/CC cause all you had to do is have that great looking Gal you got there stand beside your car and no red hot blooded male is going to care if you painted it with a roller.

Last edited by ikwhite; 08-17-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CF6873
Single stage solids colors will look great when buffed but the repairablity is not as easy as bc/cc. You will not be able to spot in black single stage without seeing the blend edge. You will have to paint the entire panel to get a lasting repair. The same is true for bc/cc. You can spot the color but you will have to clear the entire panel. Also depending on the environment that you are spraying in, the slower flash time of single stage will probably have more dirt and debris embedded in the paint.
Yea, black is less forgiving than a light color. Probably could blend a light color and get away with it.

Here is also another warning about using SS:

Solvent-pop can be a big problem with SS urethane. If you put extra coats on the car to allow for color sanding and you don't give it enough flash time between coats, you will get solvent-pop. Believe me, you don't want to risk that as it is a royal PITA to deal with. If you put on more coats than recommended (which is smart if you are going to color-sand) do not put on heavy coats, go with more flash time than recommended and use the proper temperature reducer. Hot weather also will contribute to the problem of solvent-pop.

You can get solvent-pop by piling on clear in a bc/cc job too. But, because less color-sanding or none at all is needed with clear, you usually don't put it on thicker than recommended except maybe on a show car.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:45 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by CF6873
actually.. you can. I spray that garbage SS daily.. on big YELLOW school busses.. no way in hell do we paint entire panels to blend..

we go about 6 inches past the painted part, then use a blender to fade it in. after it sets up you cant tell the difference.

with that said.. it's damn hard to beat the shine of a bc/cc car

Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Whoever said single stage urethane is junk obviously never used ppg concept. SS urethane and clear are both acrylic urethanes.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:31 AM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

BC/CC looks a LOT better IMHO

Get notified of new replies

To BC/CC or Urethane on my 69 Vette ???

Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
ja1724
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12
Default need one more thing "cleared" up

Thanks for the info everybody. I just need one thing cleared up. When the phrase base coat/clear coat is used, the base coat normally means urethane (just not acrylic urethane) correct? I will be using PPG products so their DBC or DBU base colors are urethane but not acrylic urethane. Would this be a true statement. Just a little confused about some earlier threads that said "painted mine with BC/CC urethane"...

Thanks again.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:26 PM
roger55
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info everybody. I just need one thing cleared up. When the phrase base coat/clear coat is used, the base coat normally means urethane (just not acrylic urethane) correct? I will be using PPG products so their DBC or DBU base colors are urethane but not acrylic urethane. Would this be a true statement. Just a little confused about some earlier threads that said "painted mine with BC/CC urethane"...

Thanks again.
ja,

The "Body - Exterior" forum on www.hotrodders.com is the best place to get details on stuff like this. Many pros are members of that forum and hang out there answering questions. There's a couple of Corvette restorers on there too. I have learned a heck of a lot there and recommend it to someone like you starting a project. Take a look at it. I bet you get hooked.

Roger
Old 08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by bondoboy
Whoever said single stage urethane is junk obviously never used ppg concept. SS urethane and clear are both acrylic urethanes.
i have

newsflash: still junk

Quick Reply: BC/CC or Urethane on my 69 Vette ???