Sponsored by:

Aftermarket 1 Piece Front Clips

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 AM
VETMANIAC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket 1 Piece Front Clips

I am contemplating replacing my fixable yet quite screwed front clip with one of the aftermarket one piece units in an effort to save time and possibly money. Any one with any experience with these please speak up. I would like to know things like who is manufacturing them. I am mostly interested in the hand laid pieces as opposed to the $3,000+ press molded pieces since the car will be heavily modded. I don't need to be worried about any NCRS points deductions. Having said that, how many places are actually making the hand laid pieces (not just reselling them)? Whose have you dealt with and how well did they fit? What was the overall fit and finish like? What issues did you have with them, etc.?

I am also curious about doing a tilt a front deal, but I don't want the Monza front that Eckler's sells. I would rather have something that retains the stock pop up lights and allows the hood to open independently. Any info on doing this would also be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 AM
emccomas
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,283 Likes on 732 Posts

Had an aftermarket one piece front end on a 74 a while back. Front clip did not fit well, and had some issues.

My recommendation would be to locate a good used original front clip for the year you are dealing with.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:05 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

You need to speak with TwinTurbo
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 AM
rentalcop79
Intermediate

I got the Eckler's Monza front after destroying the fiberglass in an accident - I also am not a big fan of the Monza headlights, but I think the issue is easily fixable - Ecklers includes a pair of plexiglass covers for the headlights, so I'll make another set using those as a template and have them painted body color, so that I can put them on during the day and get the really smooth look. Dzus fasteners should make removal/install pretty easy.

Also, their front end saves a LOT of weight. I'm guessing by going from stock to this thing, i saved at least 150 lbs what with the heavy bumper supports and headlight assemblies getting tossed out. It's also really sturdy, not flexible at all.

BTW, i tried another route, by buying a custom tilt front end from some guy in florida (which looked suspiciously like the kind showcars-bodyparts sells). That was $1200 down the drain.

Pay up for the quality parts - it's more than worth it in the long run.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

My 79 has an 81 TT front end. It's good for 150 pounds off the front end. It even had an optional complete front brake air ducting kit. I just didn't have the money at the time
Old 09-14-2006, 09:42 AM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Ecklers tilt front end with headlights mounting in the grill. Getting a perfect fit with these is hard work. Weight would be an issue on a tilt with pop up lights. The front ends are relatively heavy without lights in them. There are also traditional jig built (original style) front clips available from some vendors. Don't know if the panels are press molded or hand laid. Forum sponsor CorvetteWorx might be a good source to talk to about these, and if you did ever want to go back stock, you're already halfway there. I doubt that there are very many actual makers of hand laid body panels for C3's.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:05 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The front end is not that heavy, I can carry mine by myself..it's large and unwieldy but not heavy. I have a flip front that retains the stock pop up lamps and it opens up much further than the ecklers kit which can't open very far at all, mine will go straight up and even further, if need be almost 140 or so degrees. The trick is in placing the hinge right behind the license frame so that the whole front clip hinges away, with the ecklers kit everythig in frot of the lamps hinges down.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
427basketcase
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used the one that Corvette Central sells, and didn’t really have any problems with it. I just kept measuring and checking and made lots of reference marks before I glued it into place.
Check out the final fit.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:36 AM
wnaberacing
Racer

Is there a book you can get that shows where and how to cut it off? I want to do mine but I'm not sure about cutting off th old one.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

cut off? do you mean removing the front clip or creating a flip front?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:27 PM
wnaberacing
Racer

Removing it. Aren't they glued on? This is my first vette front end. If it were quarters on a camaro I'd be good.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:53 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

My 70 came from Ecklers via Corvette America and Tracey Performance. Living close to Tracey there was no shipping cost. Fit perfect. Cost about $1100.

Fred
Old 09-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Originally Posted by wnaberacing
Removing it. Aren't they glued on? This is my first vette front end. If it were quarters on a camaro I'd be good.
Yes, they are bonded alongside the firewall, there's 2 bonding sections, one is the firewall..the other is the inner fenders. You'll need to brake those loose and cut the channel that runs over the wiper area from side to side. The front end it easily taken off with a hammer and a chisel.

Last edited by Twin_Turbo; 09-14-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
wnaberacing
Racer

That sounds easy enough. Are there any tricks that I should know about. How bad can it be screwed up when your taking it off? Is there a fine line between right and wrong?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

yes, work slowly, don't force it and if you have a heat gun you can heat up the cement and it'll turn soft and will have more give. Chisel from the top down to about the body high line and then from the bottom up. There's screws on the bottom part behind the rocker covers, don't forget those.
Old 09-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Detroit Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just posted C3 fiberglass prices.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1499321

Andrea
Corvetteworx
Old 09-14-2006, 05:41 PM
wnaberacing
Racer

Should I use a press molded, hand laid, or good used front end?
Old 09-15-2006, 08:53 AM
SHOWME
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not an easy task removing the old clip.Before you start decide if you are going to a flip front or not!(This will have to do with where to cut and what to leave on the car.)Like Twin Turbo said take your time and work your way around the bond line.There was a few places that I had to use a firm putty knife and tap it through.(Very softly!)It would be best to have your new clip on hand before you start.

Last edited by SHOWME; 09-15-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:50 PM
wnaberacing
Racer

We just got a new house so I am going to have a bigger garage to work in. Will it be easier to take it off with the body on or off the frame? I'm taking it off the frame to start rebuilding process.

Get notified of new replies

To Aftermarket 1 Piece Front Clips

Quick Reply: Aftermarket 1 Piece Front Clips