C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about selling my Corvette in Europe...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 06:21 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking about selling my Corvette in Europe...

I can't believe that I'm already thinking about doing this, but I'm finishing my a partial restoration project on my '79 and, as soon as I'm done with my project, I'm thinking about selling it so that I can buy an older Corvette that requires restoration. I will probably sell sometime next fall. I’m currently living in southern Germany.

The big question is, in general, how much is your average rubber bumper C3 going for Europe? Are they more expensive in Europe or in the states?

More specifically, I pulled the body off of my '79 and repainted the frame and completely repainted the engine compartment. I installed a shift-kit in my TH350 transmission and have installed a 2000rpm stall converter. I have replaced the engine with a 4-bolt main 383, good for 465 hp and 450 tq. I removed the original exhaust and installed a chrome Hooker side exhaust. The body has an alright 15 foot (5 meter) paint job and the interior has been about 80% completely replaced within the 4 years I have owned the car. The seats show a slight amount of wear, but nothing too severe. The carpet needs to be replaced and the dash could use some paint, but it doesn't look too bad inside. By the time I sell the car, I expect to have put on about 10,000 kilometers on the new engine.

Any ideas on how much I can get for this car in Europe? Would I be crazy asking 10-12,000 Euros or more for this car?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:52 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

depending on condition you could get a lot more for it, 10-12K buys one a beater here, if it's in nice condition and with all the perf. mods, it could brind as high as 19-20 depending on condition. Post some pics.

Vettes are crazy expensive here. Most late C3s go between 12 and 18K depending on year and condition, bumper cars go 30K and above...that's all in Euros and 1 Euro is currently $ 1,18
Old 10-20-2006, 07:53 AM
BenUK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Victor
The big question is, in general, how much is your average rubber bumper C3 going for Europe? Are they more expensive in Europe or in the states?
Any ideas on how much I can get for this car in Europe? Would I be crazy asking 10-12,000 Euros or more for this car?
12,000 Euros sounds cheap to me in the UK if the car's in good condition. We import from the US because it's often cheaper than buying a good one in the UK.

On a good day you could get away with selling a good late C3 (esp. with 465 hp) for £10,000. That's a lot more than 12,000 Euros...
Old 10-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Damn. Thats better than I was hoping to get.

I think I just decided on selling my Corvette before I head back to the states. I'll still be here for another 20 months or so, but I'll have my '79shining by them.

I'd post pics of what the car looks like, but its still a work in progress. I just put the body back on the chasis yesterday and I'm in the middle of fighting my body mounts and bumper bolts.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Á body off resto..worth up to maybe 20K if you play it smart...maybe even a little more if you advertise it right and find someone with the cash for it. You will want to register the car in germany, get a german title ( fahrzeugbrief) and TUV, that will make selling it a lot easier as well as bring more money.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:23 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

Check up some prices here http://mobile.de/ or http://www.autoscout24.de/. Should give you some price ideas of the German market.

Günther
Old 10-20-2006, 10:14 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The car had a catalyc converter from the factory, '79 isn't old enough and has to be smogged. It used to be that cars 30 years and older did not have to be smogged, not sure if they changed that law.

Once you got all the paperwork done it should easily sell for 15-20K

Imported cars have to pass a complete inspection, have fun with the guys at the TUV

You might have to install a quieter exhaust, other than that those guys don't have a clue what's original and what's not.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:06 AM
Victor
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
The car had a catalyc converter from the factory, '79 isn't old enough and has to be smogged. It used to be that cars 30 years and older did not have to be smogged, not sure if they changed that law.

Once you got all the paperwork done it should easily sell for 15-20K

Imported cars have to pass a complete inspection, have fun with the guys at the TUV

You might have to install a quieter exhaust, other than that those guys don't have a clue what's original and what's not.
Great info. I'm an American Soldier and all of the cars we ship to Germany have to pass German inspection anyways (which I'm assuming is the same guy at the TUV). I got my Corvette to do so just before I started my restoration project so I'm confident I can do so again now that everything is in much better condition.

15-20k is way more than I was hoping for. I'm starting to have visions of my new chrome bumper 1970-1972 Corvette

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:02 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Victor
Great info. I'm an American Soldier and all of the cars we ship to Germany have to pass German inspection anyways (which I'm assuming is the same guy at the TUV). I got my Corvette to do so just before I started my restoration project so I'm confident I can do so again now that everything is in much better condition.

15-20k is way more than I was hoping for. I'm starting to have visions of my new chrome bumper 1970-1972 Corvette

Thanks!

If you speak German go to corvetteforum.de - you should be able to find some local guys who know how to get the paperwork straight....

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about selling my Corvette in Europe...

Quick Reply: Thinking about selling my Corvette in Europe...